Division A

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

First off, I'd like to see them give these divisions names compared to just letters. Not sure if there is a plan in place for that or not.

Who are the four teams to beat? In no particular order I would say the Kings, Nucks, Ducks, and Sharks will be our toughest competition. With 2 of those teams declining with age as the years pass by if retooling isn't properly utilized. I see a rebuilding team in Calgary which should start becoming a nearly automatic lopsided affair in Edmonton's favour. If it doesn't, we're in trouble. Phoenix's future is still up in the air, but they have always been able to neutralize us with their defensive systems and are never out of the playoff picture it seems.

Who will become our biggest rivals? It sucks that Minny isn't in our conference anymore, that was quickly becoming a budding rivalry. I figure we won't find a true rival until we make it into the playoffs. Until then, one to keep an eye on is with San Jose. I've heard Couture state multiple times now that playing against the Oilers is one he really gets pumped up for, and uses it as a measuring stick to compare himself to some of the best young talent out there. I can't remember the exact statement he made, I believe during an intermission on HNIC against us, but it was something along the lines of him wanting to prove that he is right up there with the elite young guns of the NHL and felt by proving that he would get more exposure.
The Calgary and Vancouver rivalries seem to be more of a citizen vs citizen thing, so hopefully Calgary can develop right behind us in a couple years, and we start proving we can hang with the Nucks. Then these rivalries will begin to hold some substance again.
The Oil are just scrapping the surface with the Ducks and Kings but there is something definitley there after some of the drama that has taken place in the past year.

It's going to be a tough task getting into the playoffs next year. But with an enhanced roster, we should be fiercely competing for at least the 4th seed next year no doubt. This team and fan base desperately need a taste of the playoffs.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

First off, I'd like to see them give these divisions names compared to just letters. Not sure if there is a plan in place for that or not.

Who are the four teams to beat? In no particular order I would say the Kings, Nucks, Ducks, and Sharks will be our toughest competition...

Who will become our biggest rivals? ...

It's going to be a tough task getting into the playoffs next year. But with an enhanced roster, we should be fiercely competing for at least the 4th seed next year no doubt. This team and fan base desperately need a taste of the playoffs.

For names, I hope for something that fits all the divisions - greatest players to play the game per position
Division A - Centre, Wayne Gretzky
Division B - Goaltender, Patrick Roy
Division C - Wing, Gordie Howe
Division D - Defenseman, Bobby Orr

Gretzky, Roy, Howe, Orr divisions would be cool, but never happen (not to mention one of them would be an active coach in his own division)

I'm fine with Pacific, Central, MidWest, Atlantic, or something of that nature. Adams, Patrick, Smyth ( :naughty: ) and Norris would be fine by me too.

----------

For the teams to beat, I list them in order of beatability:
Calgary
Phoenix
Ducks
Vancouver
Sharks
LA Kings

The LA Kings have a stellar team, the Sharks have a Vezina calibre goaltender and are about 8 times the size of us, Vancouver's got a great team, I thought the Ducks overachieved this year (see their exit) but are still deadly, Phoenix as of now doesn't have a starting goaltender, and Calgary is "officially in a rebuild"

If the idea is, 'Burn it to the ground,' then Ken can find another manager to do it.”

-----------

Biggest rivals? I vote the 'Nucks. Two teams, on the wax and wane, seems like it could be a good battle. Calgary's lost a bit of it's fun since we've sucked and now they're going to suck/already suck (don't get me wrong, it's gonna be great).

Outside shot at Los Angeles. There's a bit of bad blood between the organizations (Gretzky to Yakupov). I could see it coming to a boiling point now that we're in the same division.

------------

Without a 2nd line winger, a top 4 dman, a backup goaltender or any centre depth, it's going to be a race to the bottom.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
For some reason naming conferences after players, especially ones that are still alive (or now coaching in the league!) irks me. Just make up some meaningless geographical title and call it a day.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
For some reason naming conferences after players, especially ones that are still alive (or now coaching in the league!) irks me. Just make up some meaningless geographical title and call it a day.

It irks a lot of people, it would just be nice to show the league making some significant change from every other division in every other sport.

Then again, I can only imagine the Pepsi Center would have to replace the roof with how big Roy's ego would get.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert

the problem i see with it is the other teams in the conference. As Oiler fans it seems like less of a big deal because Gretzky played for us, but i wouldnt want our division named after a flame

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
It irks a lot of people, it would just be nice to show the league making some significant change from every other division in every other sport.

Then again, I can only imagine the Pepsi Center would have to replace the roof with how big Roy's ego would get.

Sooo true.

the problem i see with it is the other teams in the conference. As Oiler fans it seems like less of a big deal because Gretzky played for us, but i wouldnt want our division named after a flame

Yeah exactly.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I have a feeling that the ducks are not going to be as good as they were this year. Both Getz and Perry were on contract years and they have a few notable UFAs this summer.

Everyone keeps saying that the Sharks are going to regress but I am not so sure, I really hope it happens but it might still be a couple years.

Vancouver will win the division next year and LA will be 2nd. I think if Edmonton makes the playoffs next year it will be from the cross over rule.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
our spot to make the playoffs is 5th as a Wildcard.

Division A Division B
Anaheim Ducks Chicago Blackhawks
Calgary Flames Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings Minnesota Wild
Phoenix Coyotes Nashville Predators
San Jose Sharks St. Louis Blues
Vancouver Canucks Winnipeg Jets

Not so difficult now, hey? :sarcasm:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Our record against those teams was 8-8-3.

Hardly screams the end of the world.

We just have to play Calgary 10 times a year and we'll be fine.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
For the teams to beat, I list them in order of beatability:
Calgary
Phoenix
Ducks
Vancouver
Sharks
LA Kings

Regular season easiest to hardest:
Calgary
Phoenix
Ducks
Sharks
LA Kings
Vancouver

Playoffs easiest to hardest:
Vancouver
Calgary
Phoenix
Ducks
Sharks
LA Kings

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think we're screwed. Phoenix and Calgary can only get worse.

If we actually filled the holes properly and played decently we'd easily be able to hang in this division.

The only reason we complain about being in this division is because our management has been so incompetent since I was in primary school.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Calgary: We should have these guys beat at every position unless Feaster spends assets to try to load his roster back up. Even if he tries the latter, I can't see how they could beat us.

Kipper is supposedly retiring. - No goalie.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who haven't seen Calgary with a legit 1st line center since before they ever heard of HFboards. - No goal scoring.

They've got 2 top 4 d-men and a pretty sad prospect pool. - No defence.

I've got Calgary picked for last place next year.

Phoenix:

They've got a good group of d-men and they've shown us over the years that they can make any goalie look good.

The group of forwards they've got are just pathetic. Possibly the weakest group of forwards in the league. Does their coach want out? That would kill them.

Vancouver - Luongo
San Jose - Havlat

If they cleared that cap space they'd be a better team if they picked up another contract that turned out to be worth it's value.

L.A can't get any better due to cap restraints. They're going to lose their backup goalie and at least 1 top 9 forward over the off-season.

As for the Ducks, they've got tons of issues.

Past Getslaf and Perry they've got tons of question marks.

As good as Ryan is, he's got 2 years before going UFA and you'd almost consider him damaged goods by how often he's been mentioned in trade rumours and how he's reacted to it in front of the media.

Selane is an important part of their team, but he's not going to be around forever. Same with Koivu to a lesser extent. Some think that Pelly is an overachiever.

2 of their top 4 d-men are getting old and can't keep up their style of play forever.

They're surely set in net, though.

They don't have a ton of cap space, either. They've 2 RFAs, Selane and Koivu to sign. Hiller will be a UFA next year and Fasth will go UFA the year after that.

They're not rising stars either by any means.

----

In conclusion, it's all in Edmonton's hands to decide how difficult it is to play in this division. If Mac-T makes stupid decisions or if our players don't bring it, we'll remain in the bottom 10 of the league. If not, it could be a ton of fun.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Question for you guys:

How do you feel we would fare in our division if the following happened:

1: We pick up a competent top 4 d-man
2: We pick up a competent 3rd line center
3: We pick up a competent 3rd line RW

Hemsky, Belanger, Eager and Horcoff are gone.

All of our top 6 is still here. (MPS included)
Brown is still here.
Smid, Dubby, Petry, Schultz and Schultz are still here.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Honestly the center depth of that team would still really need work.
A "competent third line center" and Lander wont cut it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Honestly the center depth of that team would still really need work.
A "competent third line center" and Lander wont cut it.

Yeah... not sure if Lander quite seems ready. In the AHL he's very effective, but he's having a hard time making the next step up.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yeah... not sure if Lander quite seems ready. In the AHL he's very effective, but he's having a hard time making the next step up.

I have Belov at 75% chance of making top 4 and Klefbom at 25% so there's your top 4 D.

I for one think Lander took a big step this year, which is impressive seeing as how many times he was side lined for some smaller injury. It was evident in the OKC playoff run imo and although there are no certainties what-so-ever I'll place a bet on him to make a good 3rd liner this year. Not based on this year alone but based on the fact that he will take another big step in the beginning of the upcoming season :).

3rd RW: I don't know that this is the most important position. The top 4 D and 3rd C are much more vital imo but I am sure that we'll pick up a few wingers over the summer and we'll have decent options for 3rd RW.

All of this would be great but the most important thing for us next year is that our top talents show up... Hall needs to continue being Hall, RNH break out of his slump, Eberle needs to raise his game, Yakupov is not allowed to have a sophmore slump and Schultz need to show himself to be a top tier offensive D-man with an ok defensive game... Gagner can continue as he was playing this year and Paajarvi as well, although I would like Paajarvi to play more consistently as he did on his best nights this season (does that make sense?).

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
My only real question is, are they going to rearrange the HFBoards main page forum layout so they match their new divisions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad