Diving should be a 5 minute major

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Just run a highlight reel of the years dives at the awards ceremony, maybe introduce the Stutzle-Ribeiro award for most creative embellishment.

Reactions: dukeofjive

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
A system of fines that increase with each offense, and can carry over from year to year. Kind of like points on your drivers license - they can come off over time with no repeat offenses. Keep a list of offenders - public shaming with stop that crap pretty quickly. All the flopping lately is making the NHL look like the NBA.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Refs could call for a booth review when diving is suspected. Then everyone could sit around while they study the video before assessing a major. Surefire way to increase the excitement and decrease any controversy.

Diving sucks but as in any sport when there's major advantage to be gained from making sure the refs see an infraction, it's going to continue. At least players don't carry around razor blades anymore to get the extra two minutes on high-sticking calls.

Reactions: cptjeff

The Doctors Office

May 2, 2022
Also, some players just have really shitty balance.

A casual would think Alex Killorn is a massive diver because he falls down all the time. But then you see him falling down on his own three times without another player even close to him, and you start to think that maybe he just doesn't know how to skate.
I see your Alex Killorn and raise you one Andrew Mangiapane

Reactions: dukeofjive

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The NHL doesn't have a diving problem, why make it one? Fans are just way to quick to decide what hurts or makes a player lose his balance.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The NHL has many problems, but diving isn't part of them.

In a tough, manly and conservative environment like the NHL, being branded as a diver is already a punishment big enough and probably prevents it from becoming a regular occurence.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

A casual would think Alex Killorn is a massive diver because he falls down all the time. But then you see him falling down on his own three times without another player even close to him, and you start to think that maybe he just doesn't know how to skate.
There have been a few calls this year where the player with the puck simply falls down and a trip is called against the forechecker. People scream DIVE!! but it's literally a dude falling down and the ref making a bad judgement call.
Maybe the dudes are pro divers though.. Fine and suspend!

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The refs just need to actually call the dives. They should also be held a lot more accountable than they are. They just skate off the ice and no one ever has to answer a single question? That's kind of a joke.
Yes, clearly refs just get off the ice and no one from the league ever talks to them about performance :sarcasm:

You are aware that this is completely nonsensical, yes?
Of course the league has people surveying their refs, the refs do get feedback, and their performance-ratings do have an impact on who gets used under which circumstances. There is a reason why some refs last longer into the playoffs than others.
Just because the NHL isn't stupid enough to publically shame their refs, doesn't mean that there is no internal control-system in place. No sane sports-league would ever badmouth their own referees in public. Heck, no decent leader in any place would do that either. You protect the individuals and keep criticism internally, unless someone broke the rules in the most unsportsmanlike way (e.g. a ref who took bribes). You do, after all, like not to scare people away from this job, which is exactly what would happen if refs got thrown under the bus every time they may have made a mistake.

How you could possibly think that the NHL lets the refs do whatever they want without ever talking to them is beyond me. You not knowing about something, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Whether the league is good at judging the performance of their refs is an entirely different matter. It's not like we really know how the NHL wants the refs to act.

And called more often.

Let’s keep the diving pansies on the soccer field. Hockey has always been a sport for the toughest, I really hope it stays that way.
Quite frankly, I doubt most fans would have any idea what was a dive and what wasn't. Especially the wannabe-toughguys seem particularly clueless about how physics works. They just like to pretend that they are tough and others are not, even though they would probably the first to cry themselves to sleep if they had to endure an ounce of the physicality pro-players have to go through. I mean, they already tend to spend an unusual amount of time whining about stuff on the internet, not exactly the toughest thing one can do...

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
And called more often.

Let’s keep the diving pansies on the soccer field. Hockey has always been a sport for the toughest, I really hope it stays that way.
all PMS should be an automatic 10 minute PM, game misconduct and the player forced to walk o their home arena naked

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Yes, clearly refs just get off the ice and no one from the league ever talks to them about performance :sarcasm:

You are aware that this is completely nonsensical, yes?
Of course the league has people surveying their refs, the refs do get feedback, and their performance-ratings do have an impact on who gets used under which circumstances. There is a reason why some refs last longer into the playoffs than others.
Just because the NHL isn't stupid enough to publically shame their refs, doesn't mean that there is no internal control-system in place. No sane sports-league would ever badmouth their own referees in public. Heck, no decent leader in any place would do that either. You protect the individuals and keep criticism internally, unless someone broke the rules in the most unsportsmanlike way (e.g. a ref who took bribes). You do, after all, like not to scare people away from this job, which is exactly what would happen if refs got thrown under the bus every time they may have made a mistake.

How you could possibly think that the NHL lets the refs do whatever they want without ever talking to them is beyond me. You not knowing about something, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Whether the league is good at judging the performance of their refs is an entirely different matter. It's not like we really know how the NHL wants the refs to act.

Quite frankly, I doubt most fans would have any idea what was a dive and what wasn't. Especially the wannabe-toughguys seem particularly clueless about how physics works. They just like to pretend that they are tough and others are not, even though they would probably the first to cry themselves to sleep if they had to endure an ounce of the physicality pro-players have to go through. I mean, they already tend to spend an unusual amount of time whining about stuff on the internet, not exactly the toughest thing one can do...
The fact you think I meant that says everything I need to know about you. Have a good life and see ya never.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Two minutes, but they should accumulate for a total in the year. Say you have three, then consider a unsportsmanlike suspension of a couple games. Soccer is a joke, and I do understand how they tolerate and reward it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Diving and embellishing is subjective, so this would empower the refs to have even bigger negative impacts on games with bad calls. No easy fix, all teams do it at times, need to change the culture as kids and reenforce it growing up. It will always be part of sports of all kind.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The only answer is more fines. It’s too hard to tell in real time to be giving out more penalties, especially if you want to increase the severity. You think we give refs a hard time now, just wait until the days of slo-mo looking over plays called dives and arguing about if it was really a dive or not.

Just need to dangle a carrot to the players association to get them to agree to more fines. But don’t think the league cares enough to dangle anything good.

So here we are.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Making a complete judgement call a five minute major? No thanks. Just have to accept that diving is a part of the game. It is what it is.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Sounds like Bertuzzi also haha

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
5 minute major for a subjective call would be deemed excessive. Especially in situations it would have potential to completely change the outcome of a game. You’d have a better chance seeing unsportmanlike/delay of game penalties called on goalies who all of a sudden have ‘issues with their mask straps’ as a way of buying their D a few seconds to catch their breath.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I say yes ONLY because it's often called not because there was an actual dive, but as a chickenshit excuse not to give a PP so they call both teams for the penalty. Changing it to a major would negate that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad