Diving should be a 5 minute major

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I understand the sentiment, but diving is a judgement call by the refs. Some that are called probably aren't, and some that aren't called probably are. Changing it to a major would result in it being called far less often, and if anything will increase the frequency with which it happens.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
While the sentiment to keep hockey as a sport of integrity is understandable, the implementation of a five-minute major penalty for diving could be problematic. Such a harsh penalty might not be consistently enforced, especially when it comes to the league's biggest stars, which could lead to a sense of unfairness and inconsistency in the game.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Just have a board of ex-NHLers and referees to study instances brought up by GMs and coaches.

First offense - $5000
Second - $50,000
Third thru nineth- one game suspension
Tenth - 5 games suspension

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The problem is some plays you can't tell if the player embellished or it was just physics.
Also, some players just have really shitty balance.

A casual would think Alex Killorn is a massive diver because he falls down all the time. But then you see him falling down on his own three times without another player even close to him, and you start to think that maybe he just doesn't know how to skate.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No. Many of the dives called are one guy kinda tripping another guy and the other guy kinda diving. Either those should match up or not be called at all. The team that kinda tripped a guy hasn't earned 3 PP min out of that.

Reactions: Miller Time

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The refs just need to actually call the dives. They should also be held a lot more accountable than they are. They just skate off the ice and no one ever has to answer a single question? That's kind of a joke.

Have more ability to review penalties, even add a coaches challenge into it and risk going down 5on3. But I think we all know why they don't do that or actually use puck tracking technology or have good camera angles set up.

The olympics in '98 had better tech than the NHL does TODAY.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Refs would for sure never call it if it resulted in a major penalty.
They barely want to call it now and half the time it is pretty subjective.

This. I can't stand diving but if it were a 5 minute major it would never get called.

The NHL needs to be reviewing games and publicly calling out, fining and eventually suspending players for clear dives. A lot will be in a grey area but there's still some very clear dives that occur. And players that repeatedly do it.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This. I can't stand diving but if it were a 5 minute major it would never get called.

The NHL needs to be reviewing games and publicly calling out, fining and eventually suspending players for clear dives. A lot will be in a grey area but there's still some very clear dives that occur. And players that repeatedly do it.

Who do you want to be in charge of determining which instances are a "clear dive" and which aren't?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s in the book to call 2 min unsportsmanlike. Add a 10 misconduct too.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Changing it to a 5 minute major would ensure it would never be called. No NHL ref is going to call a game altering penalty on something so subjective.

We have the benefit of an overhead view, focused cameras, instant replays, and we don't have to form our opinion in the split second it happened. It's not so obvious in the moment, especially considering that 90% of dives happen as a result of legit infraction.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
And called more often.

Let’s keep the diving pansies on the soccer field. Hockey has always been a sport for the toughest, I really hope it stays that way.

That means McDavid could spend a lot of time in the box.

Reactions: Bgav

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
They should also be held a lot more accountable than they are. They just skate off the ice and no one ever has to answer a single question? That's kind of a joke.

IMO more accountability to the public will just cause them to increasingly play a tightly called game so it's 'fair' to all sides.

The NHL needs to clean up house internally of accountability. Make it safe for refs to make mistakes (and admit to them without losing games/jobs) and give them more ways to get the calls right. I have no issue with a ref calling a penalty and radioing in to Toronto to confirm the call if it's done occasionally and doesn't delay the game long.

As for diving, it's already subjective enough with some majors these days. No reason to add diving to the list.

Reactions: TMLife17

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just have a board of ex-NHLers and referees to study instances brought up by GMs and coaches.

First offense - $5000
Second - $50,000
Third thru nineth- one game suspension
Tenth - 5 games suspension
I can't imagine the NHLPA would ever agree to a CBA that allowed players to be fined $50k.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And called more often.

Let’s keep the diving pansies on the soccer field. Hockey has always been a sport for the toughest, I really hope it stays that way.

I think that horse left the barn a long time ago. I've been watching since the early 90s and don't recall a time where diving or embellishment wasn't noticeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad