The Columbus Dispatch: Dispatch sold to NY company

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
not sure how its bad news....not much difference to a new GM bringing in his own guys...let it play out before jumping off cliffs

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
not sure how its bad news....not much difference to a new GM bringing in his own guys...let it play out before jumping off cliffs

No one is jumping off cliffs. Marrison was one of the good ones. So, not good news.

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Stein might be secure now because, as has been pointed out, he scratches where the sports public itches with Buckeye football, but Marrison's resignation could trickle down. Easier to cut off heads and replace them first so dictate slant, coverage, etc.

We will see

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I am very pleased with this news. Literally jumped for joy! I'm guessing Big Ben will now be officially part of Kasich's payroll instead of just his unofficial mouthpiece and cheerleader. This news made my day.

I hope it signals a more objective editorial stance by the new management.

Agreed on all counts. :nod:

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's naive to think the Dispatch's editorial stance was determined by Marrison. Pretty much everyone in the city knows who determined that.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
It's naive to think the Dispatch's editorial stance was determined by Marrison. Pretty much everyone in the city knows who determined that.

My point, I guess. If he disagreed and wrote them anyway, it doesn't show much about character. But, whatever.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My point, I guess. If he disagreed and wrote them anyway, it doesn't show much about character. But, whatever.

If you're talking about editorials (like a political endorsement), those stances are determined by a board. Then it's someone's job to write it. Not an issue of character at all. That's the job.

Columns, like Marrison's weekly column, are individual efforts.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you're talking about editorials (like a political endorsement), those stances are determined by a board. Then it's someone's job to write it. Not an issue of character at all. That's the job.

Columns, like Marrison's weekly column, are individual efforts.

And to add, that board will likely be made up of a whole new batch of people.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
This strategy of making the website literally completely non functional is bold.

Is there anybody who subscribes who's able to read the articles? It always kicks me back to the homepage after I click "no thanks" on that stupid pop up screen.

eljefe72

Jul 28, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
This strategy of making the website literally completely non functional is bold.

Is there anybody who subscribes who's able to read the articles? It always kicks me back to the homepage after I click "no thanks" on that stupid pop up screen.

Nope, I get the same thing. It asks me which subscription plan I want to sign up for, and I'm already a subscriber.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think Portzline and Mitchell will stay. Arace is one I can see being cut. He's probably the highest-paid of the three, and I'm not sure exactly what he does.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I would bet the magazines, and their staffs, get the axe. Money losers. Columbus Monthly might be able to be sold.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I think Portzline and Mitchell will stay. Arace is one I can see being cut. He's probably the highest-paid of the three, and I'm not sure exactly what he does.
Per his brief profile.

Michael Arace is a sports reporter and columnist who has written about the Blue Jackets since the birth of the franchise.

If I remember correctly, Arace and Porty were the first beat reporters for the CBJ. Arace moved to a more columnist type role, and he is not restricted to just the CBJ, although they remain one of his focuses. He does columns on other sports. Tom Reed took over until he went to Cleveland to join the Indians beat writers, and that is when Shawn Mitchell joined Porty.

The Dispatch moved into a smaller HQ's, and I am not sure what other cost cutting things they have done. Hopefully they can find more ways to save money other then lay-offs. $10 mil is a lot of jobs.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Per his brief profile.

If I remember correctly, Arace and Porty were the first beat reporters for the CBJ. Arace moved to a more columnist type role, and he is not restricted to just the CBJ, although they remain one of his focuses. He does columns on other sports. Tom Reed took over until he went to Cleveland to join the Indians beat writers, and that is when Shawn Mitchell joined Porty.

The Dispatch moved into a smaller HQ's, and I am not sure what other cost cutting things they have done. Hopefully they can find more ways to save money other then lay-offs. $10 mil is a lot of jobs.

Yeah I know what Arace does. It was more of a sarcastic jibe because he doesn't really do beat reporting anymore. He gives us his musings on several different things, but isn't really a critical piece of the day to day beat. Not sure how the Dispatch can pay him to do that much longer.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Yeah I know what Arace does. It was more of a sarcastic jibe because he doesn't really do beat reporting anymore. He gives us his musings on several different things, but isn't really a critical piece of the day to day beat. Not sure how the Dispatch can pay him to do that much longer.

They could give him Rob Oller's column inches, I really don't care for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad