Movies: Disney Accused of Withholding Hundreds of Millions

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is not new. Look into Hollywood accounting online.
What makes me laugh most is how Hollywood is first in line with their hand out for grants etc. to make movies, so no problem taking pubic funds. But then they turn around and do everything they can to avoid paying taxes on any profits.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bill Burr talking about Hollywood accounting in regards to stand up comedy, music, and tv a little bit.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Disney is a public company. There is a real limit to what sort of shenanigans they can pull. SEC regulations and SOX requirements are real and a big deal at the studios. This is really just an issue of a smaller fish with a bad lawyer signing a bad contract. Sometimes that plays in court though.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
True for the most part but Hollywood is particularly bad, I have never see a movie in theaters that does not have 4-5 credits at the end from various jurisdictions that provided money.
Someone with industry knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong but for professional productions I don't think those credits are jurisdictions that "provided money". Rather the production is coordinating and working with these entities, and what they're looking for from the jurisdictions is tax incentives.

As while this is something all corporations do a production set rolling into town is a huge economic boon for the local economy. They roll in, typically only require a few locations which they pay permits for, spend spend spend, then pack up and leave. For all the industry's to complain about corporate handouts for I feel like 'Hollywood' is one of the least offensive.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Someone with industry knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong but for professional productions I don't think those credits are jurisdictions that "provided money". Rather the production is coordinating and working with these entities, and what they're looking for from the jurisdictions is tax incentives.

As while this is something all corporations do a production set rolling into town is a huge economic boon for the local economy. They roll in, typically only require a few locations which they pay permits for, spend spend spend, then pack up and leave. For all the industry's to complain about corporate handouts for I feel like 'Hollywood' is one of the least offensive.
It's a mixed bag. Some states have non-transferable tax credits, some you can sell through a broker at a discount, and some are real rebates. The rebates/grants essentially work the same and are received after production and based on minimum qualified wages and in-state spend and require CPA audit. Projects are greenlit with contingent incentive approval in hand and based on a net budget number that includes anticipated incentives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad