Disgusted with the NHL and its Broadcasters.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I think all this gc live and blackout stuff this is all an example of rogers overestimated the hunger for hockey in this country. You're seeing it as well with the ticket prices at the world juniors.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/shoalts-broadcast-piece/article21973606/

Now, full disclosure the globe and mail is owned by Bell. It says that ad revenue and ratings are just not what they projected to be at this point.

Rogers also wants to have some content 'only' available on Rogers devices so that way they can monopolize it and charge what they want, cause there will be no competition.

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/11/25/Hockey-camera-fight-imperils-Rogers-NHL-value.aspx

Again, BNN is owned by Bell Media.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can't disagree more. Blackouts are not the TV equivalent of weather. They are anti-competitive practices. Here is the evidence: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ly-votes-to-sack-the-nfl-sports-blackout-rule

The settlements are coming regarding the NFL blackouts, which are orders of magnitude more expensive and important than the NHL. Once that shakes out, the NHL, especially Toronto, will be forced to lose its dinosaur blackout policy or face the FCC in the US. It won't take much to get rid of the rest.

PS the ceremony wasn't on live. James Duthie and Bob Mackenzie were rambling about something on TSN. Unless you have the extended digital so RDS on 616, you saw none of it via Rogers in a GTA locale...

Being a huge NFL fan, I have already commented on NFL & FCC lifting their blackouts on these boards before.

To sum it up quickly:

- Different kind of blackouts completely. Absolutely nothing to do with regional blackouts we're talking about in this thread. Nothing.

- FCC's decision hasn't affected NFL blackout policy as of yet. This will drag out much longer and will require a legislation.

Regional blackouts will stay for a long time. Sorry.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Being a huge NFL fan, I have already commented on NFL & FCC lifting their blackouts on these boards before.

To sum it up quickly:

- Different kind of blackouts completely. Absolutely nothing to do with regional blackouts we're talking about in this thread. Nothing.

- FCC's decision hasn't affected NFL blackout policy as of yet. This will drag out much longer and will require a legislation.

Regional blackouts will stay for a long time. Sorry.

thanks for basically repeating everything i said and then calling it your own...except for the part about regional blackouts being a thing of the future.

the NHL will not be granted anti-trust exemptions, especially if the NFL is losing theirs.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
thanks for basically repeating everything i said and then calling it your own...except for the part about regional blackouts being a thing of the future.

the NHL will not be granted anti-trust exemptions, especially if the NFL is losing theirs.

Okay, I will try again.

Do you know what percentage of NFL games were affected by local blackouts (which are kind of the reverse of regional NHL blackouts as it's only the local fans who can't see the game on TV if it doesn't sellout) last season?

0.38%

Yes, local NFL blackouts are an archaic policy and a thing on the past. They should go and they will in the next few years if the US Senate does its job.

But the point you made about this blackout policy being of "orders of magnitude more expensive and important" is completely false as it has barely affected anyone in years.

Again, the above is nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the regional blackout rules (AKA "no opposing games") the NFL has. Those are extremely strict and there are many of them. None will go anywhere any time soon.

Want to watch a 4PM San Diego game while living in Texas? Too ****ing bad! Not happening. Have a dose of "how 'bout dem Cowboys?" instead!

Last edited:

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
I concur with all these thoughts in general. I used to love watching the Habs. Watched almost every game. I find the quality of the broadcasts now porous at best, finding the games difficult, GameCentre blacks out the pre-game, doesn't show post-game, the announcers are generally extremely biased. The quality has gone from pretty darn good to absolutely abysmal in a matter of months. I blame Rogers, and I suspect they are losing money hand over fist. They vastly overestimated the appetite for hockey in Canada (i.e. it is pretty great, but I don't want to watch it constantly).

To think that people used to complain about the quality of the CBC broadcasts. The grass is always greener...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad