Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think willie comes back next year and if they struggle , he will be gone mid season .

I know they'll be a lot of posters advocating giving Willie a mulligan on this season, but I can't see how they can bring him back....16 regulation wins in 55 games and the worst home record in the NHL....the season ticket holders would be in open revolt.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
So can you name the most obvious things that are wrong with him other than the Vey, Dorsett thing? Line matching? Tactics? I really want to know with some examples because it's easier to show people that say we shouldn't fire him you know, that they're wrong

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So can you name the most obvious things that are wrong with him other than the Vey, Dorsett thing? Line matching? Tactics? I really want to know with some examples because it's easier to show people that say we shouldn't fire him you know, that they're wrong

It's gone past tactics, line-matching and ice-time....it's about entertaining the home fans....right now, they couldn't sell this coach and this team to the patrons next season...sometimes you just have make a change for the sake of making a change.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
It's gone past tactics, line-matching and ice-time....it's about entertaining the home fans....right now, they couldn't sell this coach and this team to the patrons next season...sometimes you just have make a change for the sake of making a change.

If only L.A. let us talk to John Stevens :naughty:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This was prior to H. Sedin's injury.
Derek Dorsett plays more than any other Canucks forward when the Canucks are down by a goal.

Quote:
Turns out it’s true. When the Canucks are trailing by one goal, Derek Dorsett has played 94:50 this season at 5-on-5. Daniel Sedin has played 93:47.

When the Canucks are behind and looking for a goal, Dorsett has played over a minute more than the Canucks’ leading scorer who is currently 6th in the NHL in points.
Quote:
If you look at percentage of available ice time, Brandon Prust leads the Canucks when they’re down by one.

Yeah what happened there is while Willie stuck to his usual 1-2-3-4 when it came down to that last minute push Dorsett was routinely the guy he turned to for a line boost or the extra attacker... and I don't think they even scored once with him on in that role :laugh:

Speaking of 1-2-3-4 though, I didn't watch tonights game, but how does Vey get 18:10 minutes? Ice time for the rest of the bottom 6 was between 9:42-11:43 (McCann-Friesen), the last few games had been like that as well. Seriously I'm really confused how this happens.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
And Mike Futa. Oh what could have been.

That's who I wanted, but really it is so hard to tell how they will be until they have their own team and can make their own moves. I didn't think Benning was a bad choice when we first hired him. On paper he seemed to be a good choice. Much like what I though of Willie.

Willie on paper checked a lot of boxes, he was a winner at all levels, a teacher, a different type of coach from the last guy. It wasn't until we saw what he does. We aren't there on interviews to find these things out.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I still feel he rides the season out. I use to feel, because of his contract, that he would be back next season but I don't know how they can sell this team with him behind the bench. Even AVs worst nights were more entertaining than Willie's clusterF of bench management. I'll be shocked if he isn't fired this off season.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That's who I wanted, but really it is so hard to tell how they will be until they have their own team and can make their own moves. I didn't think Benning was a bad choice when we first hired him. On paper he seemed to be a good choice. Much like what I though of Willie.

Willie on paper checked a lot of boxes, he was a winner at all levels, a teacher, a different type of coach from the last guy. It wasn't until we saw what he does. We aren't there on interviews to find these things out.

Now that we know these guys, can you imagine what was said in that interview?

Besides the senile old man that is Rutherford, Benning was without a doubt the only GM willing to hire someone who comes across as dumb as Willie does, and also who just straight up is as real bad coach as Willie is.

There hasn't been one smart or insightful comment during these 2 years coming from the organisation. They can barely come up with sentences that make sense. Benning has improved on this and makes a bit more sense than he used to even though what he says is still really dumb, but Willie is basically "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?". The interview between these guys was probably pure gold.

It's the snowball effect. From ownership to management to coach and players. Incompetent morons hire/acquire like-minded people.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Besides the senile old man that is Rutherford, Benning was without a doubt the only GM willing to hire someone who comes across as dumb as Willie does, and also who just straight up is as real bad coach as Willie is.

There hasn't been one smart or insightful comment during these 2 years coming from the organisation. They can barely come up with sentences that make sense. Benning has improved on this and makes a bit more sense than he used to even though what he says is still really dumb, but Willie is basically "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?". The interview between these guys was probably pure gold.

It's the snowball effect. From ownership to management to coach and players. Incompetent morons hire/acquire like-minded people.

I think currently there is just so much Nepotism in sports and especially hockey, probably not as much was said as we think. Look at who we hired. Linden, this city's favourite all time player, who hired a former teammate, who hired a good old boy from wherer they grew up and the president played his junior hockey. Oh then we hired the GM's son in a position he was in no way qualified for.

This isn't new, and I wished teams would try other options more.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I think currently there is just so much Nepotism in sports and especially hockey, probably not as much was said as we think. Look at who we hired. Linden, this city's favourite all time player, who hired a former teammate, who hired a good old boy from wherer they grew up and the president played his junior hockey. Oh then we hired the GM's son in a position he was in no way qualified for.

This isn't new, and I wished teams would try other options more.

Agreed, there's a cultural lack of critical thinking in this organization.

After Linden was hired, from all the accounts I've heard (including from Linden himself) it seemed like they had targeted Benning without looking at other options (Fenton from Nashville, McNab from Anaheim) who also had good backgrounds. But the familiarity with Benning had them hone in on him and sell his pros rather than compare him to other options to highlight any potential negatives. As far as I recall, I don't think they even thoroughly interviewed a lot of other candidates (aside from a perfunctory interview with Gilman) and Linden seemed proud of that.

Same with Desjardins, they gunned hard for him from the beginning. The way they cleaned out Gillis' people who if nothing else did a good job at managing the cap, then Benning and crew so screwing up on things like Sbisa, pooh-poohed analytics (one of Linden's first interview he seemed to struggle explaining analytics let alone his thoughts on it), hired Benning's own son, kept superstar drafter Ron Delorme there...

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Vigneault is an example of making a change for the sake of a change. Willie Desjardins is the worst coach in the NHL, fully deserving of being let go for a monstrous list of atrocities he's committed here.

You'd be hard pressed to find something that he's done well.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I think he lasts until the end of next year. Management will likely give him an extra year thanks to making the playoffs last year, but seeing as he's not that great a coach (terrible personnel and deployment problems) we'll likely see somewhat of a repeat of mediocrity next season leading to his demise.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Management has been horrible but I don't think there was any problem with the initial hire. The coaching spot was vacant, Willie had paid his dues, and you can't exactly predict the Peter Principle in action. He also had a great start with the organization, for the teams rebound from the 13-14 season he earned far more credit than management did. He didn't really get fully exposed until the series against Calgary, and along with the roster it's been downhill since then.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Ok,

I actually listened to this on this on the radio and WD pretty much said they're a better team than us without saying those words.

He's not wrong.

he sounds completely defeated. do you hear Babcock saying stuff like this with the worst lineup in hockey?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
WD might not have the best roster to work with, but the way he manages his lineup decisions, player usage and line matching is only making this team look worse than it is.

He's simply not a good coach, which is a shame because he's a good guy and seems to put a lot of effort/heart into coaching.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
he sounds completely defeated. do you hear Babcock saying stuff like this with the worst lineup in hockey?

He's completely and utterly over his head right now.

- Benning's guys, Prust, Dorsett, Bart, Sbisa, Vrbata are crapping the bed something fierce.

- He's lost his #1 pairing

and he's lost the vets.

I seriously wonder if we would see any difference if we just put a magic eight-ball behind the bench.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think WD is a great coach, but no coach is going to have any sustainable effect on this team. It's stale. It's old. And it's not 2011.

Maybe we are 10th place instead of 14th place or 15th place or whatever, but it doesn't matter. This isn't a playoff team.

Look at the roster. We have Yannick Weber in our top 4 a month ago. Look at the wing depth. We had Dorsett as a 3rd line winger. Vey is playing 17+ minutes a night. Miller is ranked 25th overall among starting goalies. We have a 20 year old as a 2nd line center.

What this team needs now is to embrace the tank and to build for the future, literally. Waive and trade off the veterans save Sedins. If we can recoup at least two 1st round picks this year (one must be in the top 5), then I like the odds of Canucks rebounding a lot better. But right now, this team is not fun to watch.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Some stuff going around on Twitter and Elliot Friedman on xm radio saying willie about to be canned.

https://twitter.com/buckfoston_/status/699720993686683648

Friedman: "teams shouldn't be firing coaches all the time, its a sign you make bad decisions" "Canucks are about to make a mistake".

Friedman seems to think VAN's about to fire Willie D judging by his comments. #williewatch #canucks

Friedman also mentioned Canucks are taking a look at who they can move. Their outlook on season changed since last week. #theywerebuyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad