Post-Game Talk: Dirty Booins take it in OT!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I fell we are way to negative we lost but we are in a rebuilding year 1-2 years from the playoff and we are giving some tough game to playoff team. Might easier to turn the page and not linger on mistakes when you are down you get blown out by 6 goals but vs. Losing in OT but we are missing 2-3 players vs. The finish product if this team is competing in 1-2 year will have a competitive team

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Funny how TSN spent a lot of time talking about how Caufield defensive game has developed. I don't see it. Especially on that winning goal in OT.... i see little defensive acumen. Also, man... he is not very fast at all. For a small guy he should skate twice as fast as everyone else. Good god, dude.

At least Habs made a respectable game out of this one. But yet... Bruins aren't going far... as long as the beat the leafs I am happy, but Leafs have more depp. Will come down to goaltending perhaps.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Ok you're right, it was Caufield's fault that our idiot defensemen tried to do it all himself and gave up the puck instead of setting up in the zone. Just keep blindly pumping #8's tires.

You continue to exhibit an absolute absence of hockey knowledge on this particular topic and are applying Don Cherry level analysis. When you are done yelling at clouds maybe you might want to explore the world of informed, objective analysis.

Claiming that I am blindly doing anything here is cute.....it is also projecting.

• Haha
Reactions: mdk and Habano

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I doubt they would ask Suzuki to adjust his play to accommodate Caufield. Just a wild guess.
Caufield played his game all last year and the year before, finding the open space to shoot. This year he is on the boards and on the forecheck and Suzuki plays in the open space.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think so. I don't think Caufield is rounded enough to be a first line player in this league.
But to anyone thinking it may be a good idea to split Slaf and Suzuki next season don't even talk to me.
Yes but ... what happened to watching Dune 1 &2? :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Caufield played his game all last year and the year before, finding the open space to shoot. This year he is on the boards and on the forecheck and Suzuki plays in the open space.
Do you think there is a reason for that because I'm fairly certain MSL and company expect him to push the pace instead of lurking in the weeds.
At least on the first line. It's part of becoming an all around player and it's exactly what we are talking about.
It just might not be the best usage of Cole Caufield's talents.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
You continue to exhibit an absolute absence of hockey knowledge on this particular topic and are applying Don Cherry level analysis. When you are done yelling at clouds maybe you might want to explore the world of informed, objective analysis.

Claiming that I am blindly doing anything here is cute.....it is also projecting.
Puffery, blah blah blah yawn. But yeah, keep trying to convince yourself that you're from the "world of informed, objective analysis" :laugh::laugh:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Do you think there is a reason for that because I'm fairly certain MSL and company expect him to push the pace instead of lurking in the weeds.
At least on the first line. It's part of becoming an all around player and it's exactly what we are talking about.
I just know you won’t get the best use of his special talent if he has to chase the puck or fight on the boards to get the puck all the time. It prevents him of playing his game. He’s best when he can think of positioning and shoot the puck the second he gets it on his stick.

Reactions: Rapala

JT3

May 27, 2013
Sounded like a hell of an atmosphere through the TV tonight. Low scoring but felt like a physical arm wrestle, liked the compete from the team.

Matheson and Caufield both screwed the pooch on the winner. Matheson's gotta hold position and create an actual play rather than just put himself in a spot to turn it over against 3 guys. Caufield's gotta know not to pinch.

Next year I kinda wanna see this (assuming no additions)

Roy - Suzuki - Slafkovsky

1st line/matchup line. These guys take the hard minutes but I think will also be able to generate offense as well. All 3 are smart players that can drive play forward but all 3 also tremendously skilled.

Caufield - Dach - Newhook

Offense/exploit line. Let Dach drive the play and feed two of the best shooters on the team

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I just know you won’t get the best use of his special talent if he has to chase the puck or fight on the boards to get the puck all the time. He’s best when he pops out

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just know you won’t get the best use of his special talent if he has to chase the puck or fight on the boards to get the puck all the time. It prevents him of playing his game. He’s best when he can think of positioning and shoot the puck the second he gets it on his stick.
Indeed which is why I keep saying he isn't the ideal fit for that line.
There isn't a chance they ask Suzuki to change his game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sounded like a hell of an atmosphere through the TV tonight. Low scoring but felt like a physical arm wrestle, liked the compete from the team.

Matheson and Caufield both screwed the pooch on the winner. Matheson's gotta hold position and create an actual play rather than just put himself in a spot to turn it over against 3 guys. Caufield's gotta know not to pinch.

Next year I kinda wanna see this (assuming no additions)

Roy - Suzuki - Slafkovsky

1st line/matchup line. These guys take the hard minutes but I think will also be able to generate offense as well. All 3 are smart players that can drive play forward but all 3 also tremendously skilled.

Caufield - Dach - Newhook

Offense/exploit line. Let Dach drive the play and feed two of the best shooters on the team
Caufield and Newhook don’t work on the same line. Too small.

My hope is we pull a sweet foreword out of the draft and maybe we can try to play him in the top six right away.

Otherwise I’d have Newhook with Suzuki and Slaf or just keep him with Roy and add Dach.

That first line works just fine. With ANY puck luck CC would at least have been a 35 goal guy this year. More likely a 46-50 goal guy. Unfortunately he can’t buy a goal to save his life right now.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Caufield and Newhook don’t work on the same line. Too small.

My hope is we pull a sweet foreword out of the draft and maybe we can try to play him in the top six right away.

Otherwise I’d have Newhook with Suzuki and Slaf or just keep him with Roy and add Dach.
Have Cole and Newhook played on a line together at all? I don't think they're too small though, Newhook isn't even that small at 5'11 200, and he's not really that irresponsible defensively either. Dach and Newhook will be carrying the puck most of the time anyways which will let Caufield get lost.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Indeed which is why I keep saying he isn't the ideal fit for that line.
There isn't a chance they ask Suzuki to change his game.
I mean, he was never the guy picking his spots in that way and positioning himself as the F3, it always been CC. But anyway, a top 6 is always about who connects more with who, when both lines gets similar minutes doesn’t really matter.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Boys hung in there after a horrible start, I think Pez is a better fit than these other pleebs they keep throwing in, I hope he gets more ice time the rest of the year. White is juts awful and RHP is invisible. He could really help Laval, can he be sent down?

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I doubt they would ask Suzuki to adjust his play to accommodate Caufield. Just a wild guess.

FWIW I think we can beat Bridgeport in the next one without him. :sarcasm:
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Suzuki is fine in his game. It's slafs game that will help Caufield the most. He'll be able to free him up in the future once he becomes more dominant. He's still reliant on support but that won't be necessary once he's more mature both physically and mentally. Once he figures that out, Caufield will be able to become freer from the play

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't see it so we will have to agree to disagree.
Indeed
He is a tiny player, probably the smallest forward in the league. Teams are using it against him, they aren't giving him that extra second to shoot as they used to and he can't create his own space because of the size issue.
Indeed...

Result?
Career best ppg pace & points (& perhaps goals depending on how he finishes the year).

Key part of one of the best lines in hockey in 2024, despite being a one line team.

Most productive player his age in the league.

Not too shabby for a 23 year old opposing teams are focusing in on, I'd say
Many posters here predicted a 50-goal scorer but I saw 30-ish goals.
I hope you're wrong, because it's been way too long since we've had a 40g player... But thing is, as he's showing this season, he's evolving his game to be a productive contributor even when he's not a dominating scorer. I'll take that progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad