DirecTV now including NFL Sunday Ticket

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Thought the impact of this for hockey was intriguing.

In order to get Sunday Ticket included, you must subscribe to the Choice Xtra package, the 2nd tier which is $5 more than Choice. Choice Xtra is the lowest package you can receive VS on (this is currently and not based on what may happen with it being re-packaged with other NBC networks), as well as NHL Network.

Should result in VS in more homes, as previously many people didn't have enough incentive to spend the $5 more a month. But with unlimited NFL games, there will certainly be more people ponying up and gaining access to VS that they didn't have.

:handclap:

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

In order to get Sunday Ticket included, you must subscribe to the Choice Xtra package, the 2nd tier which is $5 more than Choice. Choice Xtra is the lowest package you can receive VS on (this is currently and not based on what may happen with it being re-packaged with other NBC networks), as well as NHL Network.

Should result in VS in more homes, as previously many people didn't have enough incentive to spend the $5 more a month. But with unlimited NFL games, there will certainly be more people ponying up and gaining access to VS that they didn't have.

Where are you seeing this deal?

Looking at DirecTV.Com, they only list the usual Sunday Ticket @ $334.95 (or 5 payments of $66.99).

A quick google turns up nothing - just that if you sign up, D* won't start charging you until the lockout officially ends.

Given that D* is paying the NFL ~ $1B/yr for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket - I'm pretty doubtful they are selling as part of a $5/mo extra package, unless it's part of a new customer sign up with a two year commitment, early termination fee applies, type of deal.

Are you sure you didn't just see the NFL Network (which is available on Xtra) - which completely different from Sunday Ticket?

edit: the only D* promotion I've found with Sunday Ticket & Choice Extra is a free HD DVR upgrade if you add Sunday Ticket (at it's regular cost) to a Choice Xtra, Ultimate, or Premium plan.

Last edited:

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

I never thought of this.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Kdb, go to their website and look at the packages list. It shows it there. Also, they've been running commercials for it nonstop the last week and a half or so.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
Pretty certain that that is for new customers only to try and lure people to switch providers....sucks for people who have been with them for a while though as they get the short end of the stick..

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Pretty certain that that is for new customers only to try and lure people to switch providers....sucks for people who have been with them for a while though as they get the short end of the stick..

Yes, it is. DirecTv uses this promo offer almost every year although it's usually only a partial season of Sunday Ticket. Last year my in-laws had the first half of the NFL season for free after signing with Direc in the summer. The biggest difference are that this year's ads are very misleading. Instead of specifically saying it's for new customers, it's buried in small print, while they proclaim, Sunday Ticket is "now included". Also, Joe Buck read a very vague promo during the MLB ASG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZW-xUKzek

If you are a logged in DirecTv customer, you do not see that offer in the packages or on the front page. I tried a different browser without cookies, and the offer showed up. The difference was obvious - one browser has me as an existing customer, while the other one doesn't. If you click on offer details, you will see it mentions new customers in small print. Also, it appears that this is only for 2011 which of course, is stil in doubt.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If it's not being given full year to all current and new customers than their advertsing and marketing campaigns are ****ing bull ****. I had DTV with the 1st year of NFL S.T. free 2 years ago and knew it was just free the 1 year. If this marketing campaign that they are running it standard when they aren't is true, well, I don't even know how else to explain it other than to just say that that's some ********.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site

last few years i call and threaten to cancel my service around football season. they always offer to give me a HUGE discount for the Sunday tickets. it's worked for center ice before but not last year:rant:

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
last few years i call and threaten to cancel my service around football season. they always offer to give me a HUGE discount for the Sunday tickets. it's worked for center ice before but not last year:rant:

I will have to try that out come the end of September...might make it a little easier to convince my significant other that Centre Ice is a sound investment...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad