DirecTV’s last satellite was launched last month and older satellites won’t be replaced

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a curious move as DirecTV has many customers in rural areas that have no access to broadband

We can see the beginning of the end for the DirecTV satellite service

The news of the last satellite launch came on November 29 when AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan made the announcement to analysts. DirecTV has about 20 million subscribers, but that number has been falling over the last few years. To top it off, DirecTV expects to have its subscribers start moving over to the streaming side next year with a self-installed box.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Satellite isn't going away for a number of years and 5G is going to expand broadband into rural areas. This move is being made b/c they would rather roll a device to someone's house rather than a truck and a tech to save $$$. They are testing a streaming box now using the DirecTV Now interface for this: Review: AT&T’s New DIRECTV NOW Streaming Player (Powered by Android TV) - Cord Cutters News It'll drive my in-laws nuts to have to stream tv eventually sicne they won't touch my AppleTV b/c they don't understand how to use it, but my kids will be happy when they visit my in-laws.

I've used the DirecTV Now via Comcast broadband for almost a year and haven't missed the traditional service from them at all. Based on how they are moving business wise, I'd say I'm not alone. I would say they'll eventually dovetail the two services into one dropping the 'NOW' moniker.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Streaming is still a cpuple of minutes late compared to the feed of cable or satellite. That's why I avoid GDTs when watching sports.

"Touchdowwwwwwwwwn!" - real time, already on commercial break.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DirecTV Now is not an option for me as they do not offer NESN or NBC Sports Boston as You Tube TV does

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Streaming is still a cpuple of minutes late compared to the feed of cable or satellite. That's why I avoid GDTs when watching sports.

"Touchdowwwwwwwwwn!" - real time, already on commercial break.

SI had a good article recently on the subject:

Here's why your online TV live stream is so delayed

Still a long way to improve streaming experience but the potential to surpass TV is undeniable. Only a question of when. For now, streaming is viewed more as a complement rather than replacement of TV. Two revenue streams. Just like Netflix was supposed to be.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad