Direct TV

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
But basically my location will be blacked out. Very peculiar that I can't watch a hockey game in 2013 if I have a package that allows me to watch every hockey game.

This is really the only market/situation where this happens. It's a complete anomaly thanks to Comcast STILL abusing a terrestrial loophole from the 80s. They were taken to court multiple times, tons of stalling. There was an entire thread dedicated to this over the years. I'll try and find it.

Here's my advice, appease your wife, let her make the TV choice. Then just get Hockeystreams which has zero black outs and a lot whole more content than just hockey.

Here's the CSN-Philly \ Directv thread http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=928983&page=11

Also, on going discussion of Directv's battle with CSN Philly http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/301919-Direct-tv-misleading-information-(CSN-Philly)/page2

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This is really the only market/situation where this happens. It's a complete anomaly thanks to Comcast STILL abusing a terrestrial loophole from the 80s. They were taken to court multiple times, tons of stalling. There was an entire thread dedicated to this over the years. I'll try and find it.

Here's my advice, appease your wife, let her make the TV choice. Then just get Hockeystreams which has zero black outs and a lot whole more content than just hockey.

Here's the CSN-Philly \ Directv thread http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=928983&page=11

Tell me more about hockeystreams? Strictly have to be on a computer? Can I access it through a PS3?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Crap...I'm going to have to look at this at home. Blocked at work.

How much is it?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So I'm in for the pricing, but I'm not sure I can get this to work through the PS3. I tried to read this on my phone, but it got confusing, anybody have any luck or do you just watch it through your computer. Does it work with iOS devices? Maybe I can just hook it directly up and play it through my iPad/iPhone?

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
So I'm in for the pricing, but I'm not sure I can get this to work through the PS3. I tried to read this on my phone, but it got confusing, anybody have any luck or do you just watch it through your computer. Does it work with iOS devices? Maybe I can just hook it directly up and play it through my iPad/iPhone?

Yes of course it works on iPads. All the documentation is there for you to read. I use it on my PC every single day via HDMI output to TV. I don't work for Hockeystreams, do some reading :)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yes of course it works on iPads. All the documentation is there for you to read. I use it on my PC every single day via HDMI output to TV. I don't work for Hockeystreams do some reading :)

I don't have a computer to use. That's the problem. So if I stream through the iPad, I should be able to just connect it directly to my Receiver...sounds simple enough.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I may pick up a video cable this weekend and gut a 1 day thing and try it out. Now are you sure I will get the Flyers using this thing? Comcast doesn't have some sort of weird strangle hold on IP addresses and their location?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I was going to buy the NHL Game Center thing and just watch everything a game behind, since you can watch replays of your blacked out home games, but I guess the hockey streams thing is a better way to go. I seriously hate how there it a lack of competition with TV and Internet.

The only broad band internet I can get at my home is from comcast and it costs me $75 a month for the same speeds that my phone gets. Everything else is either DSL or is capped at like 10 gigs which I don't think is enough because I use netflix and some other online TV services since I cancelled cable.

I feel like cable and internet should be considered utilities at this point.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I may pick up a video cable this weekend and gut a 1 day thing and try it out. Now are you sure I will get the Flyers using this thing? Comcast doesn't have some sort of weird strangle hold on IP addresses and their location?

You will 100% get every single Flyers game along with the away feeds.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the info, will to a test run to see quality and compatibility this weekend, if its a go, I at least have some options.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
No, but in Comcast's Communist state it is.
I hear you...here in Canada we are subject to the CRTC and its communistic rules as well. I have Directv because my sisters live in the States and it gives me a US mailing address other wise we are subject to crappy satellite service or worse...CABLE:cry:
I do have Bell Expressvu satellite but its not even close to Directv in programming.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ok, so I'm in this thing now. I see that the Flyers are on Fox Sports Florida tonight. I don't have the sports, but I can get it. If I order the sports that gives me this channel, I can't watch this game, right? CSN has nothing to do this channel, they can't c*ck block me, right?

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Ok, so I'm in this thing now. I see that the Flyers are on Fox Sports Florida tonight. I don't have the sports, but I can get it. If I order the sports that gives me this channel, I can't watch this game, right? CSN has nothing to do this channel, they can't c*ck block me, right?

If you are in the Philly area, you will be most likely "blacked out" because you are to watch the Flyers on their local station (CSN-Philly). But Directv doesn't have that channel - so you're stuck. The Panthers feed on Center Ice will most likely be blacked out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If you are in the Philly area, you will be most likely "blacked out" because you are to watch the Flyers on their local station (CSN-Philly). But Directv doesn't have that channel - so you're stuck. The Panthers feed on Center Ice will most likely be blacked out.

It won't be a center ice channel, its just fox sports florida

How can they black out a channel that isn't even there's? I'm confused by this whole mess. I get that certain things will be blacked out, but how do they get their hands around a florida station just because I get it here in South Jersey?

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
It won't be a center ice channel, its just fox sports florida

How can they black out a channel that isn't even there's? I'm confused by this whole mess. I get that certain things will be blacked out, but how do they get their hands around a florida station just because I get it here in South Jersey?

That's what local markets are all about. If the feed is available on your local station (CSN-PHI), the away feed (FLA) will be blacked out.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Live games on sports channels outside your region are blacked out unless you buy Center Ice.

Game involving your home region team are blacked out on Center Ice to protect the local rights holder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad