Direct TV

JSTAFF

Oct 5, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all,

I have not visited these forums in a long time but I had an issue come up and thought someone here must be in the same boat as I am. I recently moved to a new area where FiOs is not available and I am on my 10th X1 comcast box that has broken. I have had it with Comcast and my only option left is DirectTV. However there is one major issue, no Comcast Sportsnet and Flyers games. Is there anyway to pay for a service on the computer and stream to my TV? I am looking for any possible solutions. Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks!

P0W3R 5E2G3

Jul 9, 2013
Senamensing, NJ
If Center Ice and Game Center are both blacked out maybe you could try HockeyStreams-- I don't use any of these myself but I recall another poster advertising it as pretty reliable, good quality, and no blackouts. I think he said it includes UFC events and boxing as well, but I can't tell you anything for sure. Worth looking into I'd imagine

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
If you're going the stream route, Hockeystreams over GCL every single day of the week AINEC.

You'll still get all the away feeds for Flyer games on Directv CI - so you're not totally screwed. Not to mention, they're on national TV probably 10 times a year, maybe more.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I am still in CSN-Philly area over in Jersey so I believe they would be blacked out on CI.

It will be, unfortunately. I was in your boat last season which sucked. I recently switched back to Comcast and TBH, with the new X1 platform that they have, I think it is better than DirecTV (something I never thought I would hear myself say...er...see myself type).

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
It will be, unfortunately. I was in your boat last season which sucked. I recently switched back to Comcast and TBH, with the new X1 platform that they have, I think it is better than DirecTV (something I never thought I would hear myself say...er...see myself type).

I highly doubt Comcast of all providers is offering the same amount of HD feeds throughout the season that Directv offers on their Center Ice package.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I highly doubt Comcast of all providers is offering the same amount of HD feeds throughout the season that Directv offers on their Center Ice package.

The CI packages are the same I believe in terms of feeds, aren't they? I could be wrong but I thought the sports packages were uniform among providers.

Anyway, I was just talking about overall quality of the X1 and the channels compared to DirecTV. I hated Comcast before the X1. It just sucked. But now I have the X1 and I love it. There may not be as many HD channels, but none of the channels I watched on DirecTV are missing on Comcast.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
The CI packages are the same I believe in terms of feeds, aren't they? I could be wrong but I thought the sports packages were uniform among providers.

Anyway, I was just talking about overall quality of the X1 and the channels compared to DirecTV. I hated Comcast before the X1. It just sucked. But now I have the X1 and I love it. There may not be as many HD channels, but none of the channels I watched on DirecTV are missing on Comcast.
CI offers all the same feeds to all providers, but DirecTV dedicates the most channels AFAIK, so they have more feeds.

CI would still be blacked out if you are in the local broadcast area. The local channel has exclusive rights to broadcast to that area, and the NHL can't override that. The move that the NFL made in the 50s to get the teams to turn over their television rights to a national package was brilliant, because they avoid issues like this.

I wouldn't recommend the ZIP code 'trick', because it is fraud and illegal, and it would be a damn silly thing to get fined over.

Complain to the FCC that Comcast isn't living up to the agreement they made when they merged with NBC, which was to make Comcast SN available to all providers.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wait, if I get CI with Directv I get that I won't get the Flyers broadcast, but what about the opposition?

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Damn, this is a brutal choice. Comcast is just killing me anymore.

I take it you live in the Philly area that's why you're worried about blackouts. I live in Canada and I usually have at least one feed for the game just once in a while the feed is in SD for CI. CI to me is worth the money because I watch not just the Flyers but the other teams in their division as well.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I wouldn't watch anybody else, honestly. I'm in South Jersey and Comcast has me by the balls.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I can't stand cable companies, don't know why they are still in business with their huge inflated prices and sub-par picture....Directv is the way to go, tons of HD content.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Wait, if I get CI with Directv I get that I won't get the Flyers broadcast, but what about the opposition?

This question can't be answered unless we know your location. If you're in Philly I am quite certain you will be blacked out of the "Away" feed, even though Directv cannot carry CSN-Philly.

I'm in NY though so I can't totally confirm that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I had a great deal worked out with DirecTV today, my wife slammed the brakes on it once I said 2 year deal commitment, pretty much the only thing Comcast has is no contract.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I had a great deal worked out with DirecTV today, my wife slammed the brakes on it once I said 2 year deal commitment, pretty much the only thing Comcast has is no contract.

Who switches TV providers every year or let's the wife control the TV decisions? :)

2 year commitment is nothing especially with all the free stuff and promotions you get as a first time subscriber.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This question can't be answered unless we know your location. If you're in Philly I am quite certain you will be blacked out of the "Away" feed, even though Directv cannot carry CSN-Philly.

I'm in NY though so I can't totally confirm that.

I'm in Southern New Jersey, so basically Philly is my market.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Who switches TV providers every year or let's the wife control the TV decisions? :)

2 year commitment is nothing especially with all the free stuff and promotions you get as a first time subscriber.

Pretty sure if you're a first time subscriber to Directv this year they will throw in CI for the year. I heard that promo commercial a couple of weeks ago while watching.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Agreed, the first year is like a free for all, and even in the 2nd year its still arguably a better deal than Comcast's current deal.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Pretty sure if you're a first time subscriber to Directv this year they will throw in CI for the year. I heard that promo commercial a couple of weeks ago while watching.

I've been with them for 15 years. If you pay your bill, and ask nicely, you would be very surprised how much stuff they'll just give you to make you happy and stay. Been getting RedZone for NFL for free, ala carte every season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
But basically my location will be blacked out. Very peculiar that I can't watch a hockey game in 2013 if I have a package that allows me to watch every hockey game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad