DiPietro Story

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
So I'm listening to Ricky's talk radio show and he tells this story from his playing days but refused to say who it was about. I thought it was funny and figured you guys might as well. Maybe we can figure out who it was.

So Ricky says they're on a road trip and walking to dinner when they pass a spy store. He said one of the guys stops and says that he's going to go in and that he'll meet them at dinner. He shows up at dinner with a bag full of stuff and essentially says, he has some suspicions of what his wife is doing while he's on the road. Anyway, fast forward to when they get home. Apparently this was not the brightest guy on the team as he must've forgotten about what was in the bag as he just left it out in the open with the rest of his bags. He goes to practice the next day and when he gets home, finds out that his wife found the bag. Obviously, not to pleased to say the least.

Has anyone heard this story before? I'm a fan of the show as Ricky does have some pretty good stories from his playing days but this one was extra funny. Anyone know who he was referencing? He played during my hs/college days so while I always tried to watch games, I didn't follow the behind the scenes talk like I do now.

Reactions: scott99

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
Ricky has a great personality, I'm hoping he takes Butch's place one day, he would be an awesome color commentator. That's a great story, would love to know who the spymaster is.

I agree. I love his radio show. Them and the MK show with Don Le Greca, despite him being a rangers guy. You would assume Ricky is the heir apparent.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree. I love his radio show. Them and the MK show with Don Le Greca, despite him being a rangers guy. You would assume Ricky is the heir apparent.

I liked it when Hahn and Ricky were on together. Canty was a great 3rd with them. Rothenberg is too much for me and it gets old when Ricky and Canty continuously bust on him.

Ricky has a lot of personality, his 2nd career fits him.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think there’s a spy store in my neighborhood, but I’ve never been in.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Warrior? I don’t know if you’re being serious or just guessing but I hope you’re serious, that'd be great!
My aunts ex husband owns the hobby/spy store where this happened. He’s a retired Detective and was a consultant for the CIA and NSA. Truthfully it was a glorified radio shack and none of the equipment was professional.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's a shame how many fans treated him toward the end of his career. W tar and feathered Tavares for not caring about the enough...but did the same to Dipietro for caring too much. The dude wanted to be an Islander and play for us/win so badly even when it became obvious his body wouldn't allow it.
You’re right!

DP bleeds Blue and Orange! Always has. He wanted so badly to live up to his contract snd help the organization win. His body just didn’t allow it. Not to mention, he’s never been accused of being bad with fans. The guy literally goes out of his way to interact with as many isles fans as possible.

I’d take DPs attitude and commitment to my franchise way before I’d take Pajama boys.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
It's a shame how many fans treated him toward the end of his career. W tar and feathered Tavares for not caring about the enough...but did the same to Dipietro for caring too much. The dude wanted to be an Islander and play for us/win so badly even when it became obvious his body wouldn't allow it.

I remember going to a game against the Hawks, DP was in the building that night and he payed for a hotdog & soda for every fan in the building. He must have just retired and came back to watch the game from a suite. Idk if many players come back and do that, have any of the dynasty players done that? I'm sure the fans that have been around for awhile would know. Thought that was pretty cool for DP to do. He only wanted to be an Islander, you don't get that nowadays considering what happened in 2018 with Tavares.
Side question, why is he not on any broadcasts anymore? Did they just not renew his contract or did he just want to focus on radio knowing Butchie wasn't going anywhere for awhile?

Reactions: El Cohiba

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
DP is the butt of so many unfortunate jokes for reasons outside of his control. Not his fault that he was selected #1 overall, not his fault that he received an incredibly absurd contract and not completely his fault that his body deteriorated far too early.

His three "good" seasons (05-06, 06-07 and 07-08) are all the more impressive considering the overall team performance and general dysfunction of the franchise at the time.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

That's one of the biggest reasons I have a bad rep here as a debater. When I first joined this site it was around the time when people were bashing DP badly. Got so many fights trying to stick up for him, lol. I was never arguing that he still had a chance to be a great goalie and they should give him a shot. It was obvious the injuries took a toll on what he could accomplish. My point was, he never left me questioning his commitment to the team. He always put the fans first in post game interviews. He was a true Islander. I was annoyed with the lockerroom cancer comments on this site. Made me sick to my stomach.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I remember going to a game against the Hawks, DP was in the building that night and he payed for a hotdog & soda for every fan in the building. He must have just retired and came back to watch the game from a suite. Idk if many players come back and do that, have any of the dynasty players done that? I'm sure the fans that have been around for awhile would know. Thought that was pretty cool for DP to do. He only wanted to be an Islander, you don't get that nowadays considering what happened in 2018 with Tavares.
Side question, why is he not on any broadcasts anymore? Did they just not renew his contract or did he just want to focus on radio knowing Butchie wasn't going anywhere for awhile?

Oh, they know buddy. They ripped him on here for it. Made fun of him left and right. It was awful to read, honestly. You should be glad you weren't here for it.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
DP is the butt of so many unfortunate jokes for reasons outside of his control. Not his fault that he was selected #1 overall, not his fault that he received an incredibly absurd contract and not completely his fault that his body deteriorated far too early.

His three "good" seasons (05-06, 06-07 and 07-08) are all the more impressive considering the overall team performance and general dysfunction of the franchise at the time.
He was a big part of his body's deterioration. Goalies need to be flexible, not muscular.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
DP was really flexible, and trained to be such (yoga) so I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest? Some people are just more injury prone than others.
He worked out his upper body pretty hard one off season. You can see it in pictures from season to season, he got jacked. There were also rumors that he was using steroids.

Reactions: bigtim1988

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He worked out his upper body pretty hard one off season. You can see it in pictures from season to season, he got jacked. There were also rumors that he was using steroids.
It was during the 2004-05 lockout that DiPietro hit the gym. He came back jacked the following season. Milbury had even said that he wished the players had workouts designed by the training staff instead of having them work out unsupervised during the lockout, DiPietro in particular.

Reactions: eoin92

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Was his fault he sucked!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad