Tribute Dion Phaneuf

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Great for the kids

Great fishing trips

Great leader.

.The day of the trade to Ottawa, Phaneuf flew to Detroit late in the day to join his new teammates. He had been with the Leafs on the road and was preparing to face the Flames when the trade was completed. He made his way to the Westin in Detroit and was downstairs on game day when he joined rugged winger Chris Neil for breakfast.

GARRIOCH: Dion Phaneuf wasn't with the Ottawa Senators long, but he made a big impact | Ottawa Sun

Reactions: Back in Black

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Seems like anyone that's been a teammate of his has noting but really good things to say. Enjoy retirement Dion.

Wasn't there someone on the wally and Methot podcast recently who said he was the most awkward guy in the room? Like a real weirdo.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Wasn't there someone on the wally and Methot podcast recently who said he was the most awkward guy in the room? Like a real weirdo.
This sounds familiar but I think it was someone else. Maybe Zach Smith?

Still you can be a real weirdo and a great guy...take me for example.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
loved him as Senator and Flame, hated him as a Leaf but could empathize with the situation he was in (captaining a crapshow run by Blowhard Burke). Should never have traded him to LA since any hope of slavaging Ceci as a top 4 defender was gone. He quietly played his role for us and was huge in that 2017 ECF run

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No way that was about Phaneuf. His teammates loved him, he is a beauty.

Oh it was most definitely him.

He gave a story about how he came into the room straight to this guy, said the weirdest few words, then walked away and didn't say another word.

I'll have to go back through the episodes guests to see who it was.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Never turned around on a player as quickly as Dion. Just seems like a genuinely good dude from all accounts, and how can anyone forget that playoff OT goal? A total warrior who probably took more lumps than he was due in Toronto. Happy trails, Dion!

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
Meh.

Also how could you all forget this?

The sad part about this clip is that between McGuire, Dorion, and DJ, McGuire is the only one smart enough to believe Phaneuf shouldn't be signed to a 2 year contract and play in the Sens top4.

Dion probably officially announced his retirement so Dorion and DJ would stop texting him.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Met him a few times through work when he was the Leafs captain.

One of the nicest, coolest NHLers I've ever met, and I've met a fair amount. Was always willing to shoot the shit and talk hockey with absolutely anyone.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He gave a story about how he came into the room straight to this guy, said the weirdest few words, then walked away and didn't say another word.

Well maybe it was an isolated incident, I know for a fact Phaneuf is a beauty and his teammates loved him. I'd make sure you have your facts straight if you're going to post stuff like this in a players retirement thread.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Driedger maybe... He was going to come in to relieve Hammond. Phaneuf walked over to him and said "Confidence" and walked away.

Not sure how that would qualify him as a real weirdo so you must mean something else

So many players and people around the game say he's a great guy.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well maybe it was an isolated incident, I know for a fact Phaneuf is a beauty and his teammates loved him. I'd make sure you have your facts straight if you're going to post stuff like this in a players retirement thread.

Lmao calm down Dion. My facts are straight. Everything I've claimed as fact is a fact. You need to take your hostility down a notch.

The fact he's a weirdo doesn't mean he's not a good guy. Relax.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Driedger maybe... He was going to come in to relieve Hammond. Phaneuf walked over to him and said "Confidence" and walked away.

Not sure how that would qualify him as a real weirdo so you must mean something else

So many players and people around the game say he's a great guy.

It was driedger. And he said it was so weird and didn't know what to make of it. Also said Phaneuf wouldn't say anything else to him. I'll rewatch that and can send a link to that specific story on YouTube.

Like I said, the fact he's really weird doesn't mean he's not liked. But, it does mean he's weird and it's not like that can't be mentioned. You don't need to take offense to some person you don't know being called weird by someone that played with him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lmao calm down Dion. My facts are straight. Everything I've claimed as fact is a fact. You need to take your hostility down a notch.

It was driedger. And he said it was so weird and didn't know what to make of it. Also said Phaneuf wouldn't say anything else to him. I'll rewatch that and can send a link to that specific story on YouTube.

Like I said, the fact he's really weird doesn't mean he's not liked. But, it does mean he's weird and it's not like that can't be mentioned.

You or anyone else saying he's weird or a weirdo doesn't make it a fact. Do you believe its a fact?

No one mentioned weird.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You or anyone else saying he's weird or a weirdo doesn't make it a fact. Do you believe its a fact?

It's a fact people think he's different, yes.

Go look at the video an hour and 3 minutes in and driedger and Methot are laughing at how strange he can be.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's a fact people think he's different, yes.

Go look at the video an hour and 3 minutes in and driedger and Methot are laughing at how strange he can be.
Yah whatever man. Seems like they are having fun to me.
You are the one coming out with this crap "Wasn't there someone on the wally and Methot podcast recently who said he was the most awkward guy in the room? Like a real weirdo."

That's all your take. Your impression. What you are claiming are not facts. They are your impressions.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yah whatever man. Seems like they are having fun to me.
You are the one coming out with this crap "Wasn't there someone on the wally and Methot podcast recently who said he was the most awkward guy in the room? Like a real weirdo."

That's all your take. Your impression. What you are claiming are not facts. They are your impressions.

Reading that, nothing is spouted as fact. So why would you take it like that and then get offended?

You can't watch that without thinking Methot and driedger think he's a little different at the very least.

Again, why are you so upset that someone told a story about Phaneuf being weird?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

But he isnt and you are stating it as fact. Thats the issue here.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's too bad he lost his speed over time and became almost Derian Hatcher like. He put in a good run with us and I think it was a good trade. We had a couple good playoff series to show for it and it felt like we had a chance at the time.

I hope he enjoyed his time here getting out of the toxic situation in Toronto where he was brought in to be the guy on defense and was a lightning rod for criticism when things were going bad.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad