Value of: Dion Phaneuf

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Does anyone know the specifics of what happens when a player is bought out traded with retention when a different team is already retaining salary?

My assumption is that each team takes the same percentage of the new buy-out cap hit. So if Dion is bought out, LA takes %80 of the resulting number, and Ottawa takes on the other %20.

What about retaining salary a second time for the same contract? I know you can't retain more than half of a contract. So for Dion, can LA only retain an additional %30? Meaning that between them and Ottawa half of the contract is being retained. Or can LA retain a full %50 of their obligation?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Does anyone know the specifics of what happens when a player is bought out traded with retention when a different team is already retaining salary?

My assumption is that each team takes the same percentage of the new buy-out cap hit. So if Dion is bought out, LA takes %80 of the resulting number, and Ottawa takes on the other %20.

What about retaining salary a second time for the same contract? I know you can't retain more than half of a contract. So for Dion, can LA only retain an additional %30? Meaning that between them and Ottawa half of the contract is being retained. Or can LA retain a full %50 of their obligation?

Each team can only retain 50% of the contract. In theory, a player making $8 million could be traded and the initial team could retain $4 million. That team could then trade that player and retain $2 million.

Team A would be on the books for $4 million, Team B for $2 million, and Team C for $2 million.

If Team C buys out the contract, Team A is on the hook for 50% of the buyout, while Teams B and C are responsible for 25% each.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Each team can only retain 50% of the contract. In theory, a player making $8 million could be traded and the initial team could retain $4 million. That team could then trade that player and retain $2 million.

Team A would be on the books for $4 million, Team B for $2 million, and Team C for $2 million.

If Team C buys out the contract, Team A is on the hook for 50% of the buyout, while Teams B and C are responsible for 25% each.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Seems to me that a trade at %50 retention would be better for LA, then. If they can make that happen, of course. Dion's cap hit is currently 5.25* for 2 more years. And a buyout (according to capfriendly) would leave 4 years with a cap hit of just about 3, 5.5, 1.5 and 1.5 million.

%80 of that being LA's responsibility would leave about:
2019-20: 2.4
2020-21: 4.4
2021-22: 1.2
2022-23: 1.4

Better to retain 2.6 (half LA's cap hit) for the next 2 years than get stuck with that. So the questions left are; who would take Dion at 2.6 million for 2 years? Could he bring back a return? Could LA find a taker who would let them retain less?

LA would undoubtedly find those answers before buying out Dion.

*all my numbers are rounded slightly

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Our first rounder.

We're better off waiting another year then buying him out.

In the meanwhile, we should be playing him 30 minutes a night to ensure another top 5 pick.

How the mighty have fallen! This guy was a stud in junior and playing for team Canada at world junior championships. He also played well for the flames until a couple of years before he was traded. Now look at him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad