Dion Phaneuf

Oct 18, 2010
I feel like the softness of the forwards effects the defense more than people ever mention. Too many times they bail out on plays that would ensure that the puck gets out, or just turnovers and board play in general. The pressure that is put on the defense is immense. The biggest problems come when they get stuck on the ice and that usually happens when someone makes a soft play or bad decision with the puck which is rarely Phaneuf.

Phaneuf makes bad reads sometimes though, and has gotten aggressive at bad times. As far as his scoring goes, it would help A LOT to have a net presence and some other shooters out there on the PP. Other teams cover the D, and especially Phaneuf, tight because there aren't many threats out there which results in blocked/wide shots. That's why I want Frattin on the PP, he can one time the puck and score. He hasn't gotten his shot going at the NHL level yet though. Kessel isn't much of a factor on the PP becayse he's stuck at a vad angle and typically needs to handle the puck bit before getting a good shot off.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's fine .

For me anyway.

He's primarily played with Kostka and Holzer. Two players who had a combined amount of 2 NHL GP before this year.

He needs a safe, But talent partner who ideally is right handed. The name Stephane Robidas was thrown around in the trade/ufa thread and I thought it was a very good suggestion.

hockeyfanz*

Very inconsistent.

Truth. Mediocre at best given the inconsistency. He has been good and he has been awful. Not what we are looking for from the #1 guy and one of the highest paid d-men in the league. I expect more out of Phaneuf. Doubt we will ever see it though.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
His play is a bit mixed. Defensively he is more then I thought he would be. Offensively he is much much less then promised from the calgary days. And all and all he is no where near worth his 6.5M salary and cap hit. I hope he takes a pay cut and hometown discount for leafs tolerating his production downfall

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Hey guys I'm just curious on how people think that Dion Phaneuf is playing this year. I understand his plus/minus isn't good at a minus 7 but our goals against is at 2.5 per game which is 11th in the NHL and Dion plays 25+ minutes pg so I believe that he has a bit to do with that along with goaltending and carlyle s system.

Thoughts?

I think he has been fine. Not great, not awful. He had some bad games and some really good ones. It's hard to lay all blame on him, when he is the one facing top 2 lines every night. They also make money by being good.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He has gone from a physical offensive top pairing d-man to physical stable #1 2-way d-man.

I am really pleased with his play this season. He had some pylon moments early in the season (when his +/- became so bad) but have steadily improved since then.

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
He is a legit number one d-man. By FAR the best one on this Leafs team and playing a much mor complete game under Carlyle... I would like to see Gardiner brought up and paired back with Gunnarson.

Phaneuf-Franson
Gunnarson-Gardiner
Fraser-Holzer

Try to move Liles or Komisarek.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If you think Chara/Weber don't make mistakes, you're not watching closely enough.

They also inspire their teammates and are easy to get behind if you are fans of their teams.

Dion couldn't encourage or inspire a 5 year old to grab a lollipop. He's an awful captain

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
They also inspire their teammates and are easy to get behind if you are fans of their teams.

Dion couldn't encourage or inspire a 5 year old to grab a lollipop. He's an awful captain

This is Toronto. Sundin's leadership was questioned every damn losing streak too :facepalm:. You're questioned all the time.

How can his inspiration be measured?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is Toronto. Sundin's leadership was questioned every damn losing streak too :facepalm:. You're questioned all the time.

How can his inspiration be measured?

Sundin's leadership was rarely questioned by the media that were close to him on a regular basis.

It was more often than not questioned immediately after losses where fans were mad and chose to scapegoat the reserved Swede.

And you are right - there's no subjective way to measure inspiration. I just don't find Dion that inspiring at all. Look at Mats, or Dougie, or some of the other captains in this team's history. Heck, look at some of the great captains across the league right now. Does Dion inspire you in the same way that those guys do?

I highly doubt it

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
He has never played with a good partner. When he got here, he played with a broken down and beaten down Beauchmin (by Carylyes admission). Then it was Aulie, I think. A rookie, who is now playing on the bottom pairing of a NHL team, barely holding a spot. And last year, he had Gunnarson, who had never played 20 mins a night before in his career and barely had a 100 nhl games to his name. Now he is playing with a rookie who handles the puck like a hand grenade, who has 17 NHL games to his name.

Just a sorry list of D partners. He has had to play with this list against the top competition in the eastern conference, night in night out. Its not like he is playing with these guys against the other teams 2nd lines, its against the Crosbys, Girouxs, Tavares and Stamkos of the world.

JB Maple Leafs

Aug 31, 2005
Barrie
Frattin is close to coming back so Unless a trade is made Holzer will be sent down to make room. He is not Phaneuf's ideal partner....at least not yet anyway. When that happens Komisarek will be back in the lineup to play on his right side. He can play mean and nasty and stay at home while Phaneuf roams. they would be good together and you can bet it will happen.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Considering who his partners have been he's been playing well and scoring goals surprisingly.... if he had a true puck mover i could imagine how good he would be.... he needs another start D man like Shea Weber/Ryan Suter pairing.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like his play, physical and does a good job containing forwards. Only problem in his game is his decision making sometimes and his inaccurate slapper. Overall i think he's played well and as everyone mentioned he needs a real first pairing d partner BAD . I think if he got an offensive d man like gardiner ? at his side that it could be a real dangerous pairing. getting a decent d partner would help numbers reflect his play a lot more. + - is a team effort not 1 man.

leafspring*

Phaneuf has had his rough spots this season.He has simplified his game recently to defense first,and his game is quiet/reliable,and consistant right now.His positioning has been solid of late,and his gambles are very calculated.

Best defense i have seen him play since becoming a leaf in the last 2 weeks. He is not trying to do it all any longer,and he is better for it.

Note: he is neccessary on the ice for the leafs Penalty kill, Prust is not neccessary on a power-play for Montreal,and not fighting showed the savvy in his present game.

Had to get that in there:)

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'll never understand the hate. Ever.

He's the best defencemen this team had in a while.

I'll admit that at times he seems lazy, but that's probably because he's so darn tired from playing half the game.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
If Phaneuf takes a pay cut/hometown discount to better reflect his value to the team I will not be so hard on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad