Dion Phaneuf discussion thread

Alflives*

some people only blindly hate dion because they expect no mistakes all the time

That's right! How about the goalie bails the guy out - just once? Dion must feel he has to be perfect, or it's bloody goal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Give me number to back up your claim that Phaneuf has more flaws and makes more mistakes and is too inconsistent than any other D-man who plays similar minutes as him and is similar caliber.

Bruins up 3 games to 1. How about those numbers, eh.

So, give me a list of D-man you think are similar in caliber and plays as many minutes as Phaneuf.

Thanks.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I really dont think its about depth. The Bruins have only had one dangerous line this series, and I think we've been a bit better than that. We've matched their level of play for the last 3 games. The difference is that our turnovers have killed us, which is something that has been a problem all season.

The Bruins are very beatable right now, but we're playing sloppy hockey and can't capitalize on their weakness.

This series has been all about the depth. Phaneuf's line is shutting down Marchand's line but who's gonna shut down Krejci's line? Our defensive depth can't keep up with the depth that the Bruins bring. On the other side the Bruins defence can more or less match up somewhat to our 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines.

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
Everybody has slip ups. I'm not even angry with Phaneuf about the pinch. I can let that go, but he needs to move his feet. I don't know if he's tired or injured but it seems like he's not putting in that extra stride to stay with the play/get there first and is doing a lot of reaching with his stick. It's been that way all series for him. Move your feet and good things happen. Hope he bounces back.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
amazing thread:handclap:

he is an elite dman, who needs some help
What would our defence be without him, we would be garbage

he is needed on the team, most of the time, does really well for us
i am glad he is on the team

t

Leafs need 2 defenders.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Granberg (Leafs' fans hope that the best prospects turn-out)

Take some pressure off Phaneuf, reduce his minutes keep him sharper.

One thing people tend to do is remove one player without replacing him.

If Phaneuf was not on the team they would go with this line-up:

no one - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - O'Bryne

To start with Phaneuf was acquired 2009-2010 season and if he had not been acquired I don't think Burke was so incompetent to not pursue other options.

If not Phaneuf someone else.

You can't just remove Phaneuf from the line-up and leave his $6 million a year on defense unspent without having other impacts.

For example, if he is so good and they replace him for some minor league defenseman where are the Leafs drafting? We get the same arguments with Kessel, that he's the best of Seguin, Hamilton and Knight, but if Kessel is such a positive influence on the team they aren't drafting 2nd. overall, they are drafting 1st. overall and then drafting much higher than 9th. overall.

Kind of like blaming JFj for trading Rask, and then suggesting 7 years later he is still the reason the Leafs aren't a contender.

By these arguments, the Leafs have had inept management for years, and no GM who has made a difference since 2006.

Very insulting comments about Fletcher, Burke, Nonis and the couple other x-GM's they've had under contract since JFj was fired.

sept89

May 2, 2013
Where does the low hockey IQ comment come from? He is a defenceman who plays on the edge, not a stay at home guy. That is his game to pinch, that is his game to throw the big hit. Our D were pinching all OT trying to generate offence. It was almost like our guys knew Reimer would break before Rask, and they wanted to win it as quickly as they could.

He has low hockey IQ, this is undisputed. He wasn't even pinching for the puck in OT if you look at the replay. He went right for Horton's head and collided into Kessel. That's just plain stupid. If that was another Leaf D that Puck would be heading right for the net. He's not just hockey stupid I truly think this guy has low general intelligence.

sept89

May 2, 2013
Leafs need 2 defenders.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Granberg (Leafs' fans hope that the best prospects turn-out)

Take some pressure off Phaneuf, reduce his minutes keep him sharper.

One thing people tend to do is remove one player without replacing him.

If Phaneuf was not on the team they would go with this line-up:

no one - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - O'Bryne

To start with Phaneuf was acquired 2009-2010 season and if he had not been acquired I don't think Burke was so incompetent to not pursue other options.

If not Phaneuf someone else.

You can't just remove Phaneuf from the line-up and leave his $6 million a year on defense unspent without having other impacts.

For example, if he is so good and they replace him for some minor league defenseman where are the Leafs drafting? We get the same arguments with Kessel, that he's the best of Seguin, Hamilton and Knight, but if Kessel is such a positive influence on the team they aren't drafting 2nd. overall, they are drafting 1st. overall and then drafting much higher than 9th. overall.

Kind of like blaming JFj for trading Rask, and then suggesting 7 years later he is still the reason the Leafs aren't a contender.

By these arguments, the Leafs have had inept management for years, and no GM who has made a difference since 2006.

Very insulting comments about Fletcher, Burke, Nonis and the couple other x-GM's they've had under contract since JFj was fired.

What's this obsession about Phaneuf? Who cares...that's 6.5 million of poor defensive ability removed off the team. What makes him so valuable in your eyes?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He was lackluster on the PP, And I would have preferred Gardiner out there more.

But seriously, The hate for this guy is ridiculous and ignorant.

The guy played like an all-star all year, But because he made one bad pinch all that goes out the window.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I dunno everyone, I've read over the comments on this thread and I have to say, some people are really pulling at straws.

Phaneuf is a good d man, but he has noticeably been the most suspect player on the team so far in the playoffs (outside of possibly Fraser and Bozak).

His blind passes to nobody in his own zone, floaters towards the net, his head scratching turnovers, unneeded pinches, ugly forward progress with the puck and indecision to do anything with the puck on the blue line have all made me look at him very different lately.

If your offence isnt clicking as a player, go back to the basics and make basic smart decisions for **** sake, don't go out on a limb and try and be somebody your not. When he struggles he just makes even more of a mess out there, and thats just not professional.

I like Phaneuf, but a captain can't be noticeably the WORST player on the ice, he just can't, not in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has low hockey IQ, this is undisputed. He wasn't even pinching for the puck in OT if you look at the replay. He went right for Horton's head and collided into Kessel. That's just plain stupid. If that was another Leaf D that Puck would be heading right for the net. He's not just hockey stupid I truly think this guy has low general intelligence.

:laugh: You kids crack me up.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I respect Phaneuf for telling the media he messed up and that's what a captain should always do, no matter if it's something good or bad.

What else could he have said ?

I would have had more respect for the guy if he put the team before his hate for Horton and not made an idiotic pinch to try to lay the guy out .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What else could he have said ?

I would have had more respect for the guy if he put the team before his hate for Horton and not made an idiotic pinch to try to lay the guy out .
Sometimes you got to take chances to win which Phaneuf did and it turned out to be the wrong idea.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He was lackluster on the PP, And I would have preferred Gardiner out there more.

But seriously, The hate for this guy is ridiculous and ignorant.

The guy played like an all-star all year, But because he made one bad pinch all that goes out the window.

How many times do people need to post excuses for this guy . It hasn't been one bad pinch , he's played like crap this entire series .

I really don't understand why some fans think he's a num 1 D , he has little lateral mobility , he doesn't make great outlet passes , he's adequate in our zone but that's about it . He doesn't produce much offense 5 on 5 unless he starts to go into rover mode . Most of his big hits are on plays where he leaves his position to blind side a guy who's not expecting it .

The guys a quality 2nd pair D who's forced to play as a 1st pair D because we have no one else capable of playing in that role .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's a fine defensemen, hasn't been a serious Norris candidate for years, but not many defensemen are.

Expectations might be unreasonable, Ron Wilson's offhanded remarks about being the best defenseman in the league by a country mile didn't help.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sometimes you got to take chances to win which Phaneuf did and it turned out to be the wrong idea.

And sometimes you have realize if the risk/reward is worth the gamble . It's not like keeping the puck in guaranteed a scoring chance .

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
Good thread, I had thought about creating one of these as well. I wish people would rewatch the play. Sure Dion made a bad pinch, but why is no one talking about kessel dishing the puck into no mans land and putting the captain into the position where he had to pinch. I mean it was the wrong decision but dion plays a risk/reward type of game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Good thread, I had thought about creating one of these as well. I wish people would rewatch the play. Sure Dion made a bad pinch, but why is no one talking about kessel dishing the puck into no mans land and putting the captain into the position where he had to pinch. I mean it was the wrong decision but dion plays a risk/reward type of game.

Why was the only play to pinch ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Phaneufs worth will be seen the day he has a top pairing partner, if that day ever comes.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How many times do people need to post excuses for this guy . It hasn't been one bad pinch , he's played like crap this entire series .

I really don't understand why some fans think he's a num 1 D , he has little lateral mobility , he doesn't make great outlet passes , he's adequate in our zone but that's about it . He doesn't produce much offense 5 on 5 unless he starts to go into rover mode . Most of his big hits are on plays where he leaves his position to blind side a guy who's not expecting it .

The guys a quality 2nd pair D who's forced to play as a 1st pair D because we have no one else capable of playing in that role .

Someone else gets it. :handclap: Thank you. ;)

MapleLeafGardens*

Do you enjoy losing because it seems that way since you have no problem defending every idiotic play our supposed leader(s) make .

LMAO i was wondering the same thing about a lot of Leafs fans.:laugh:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Good regular season, terrible post-season. He looks like hes trying to do too much. I think the playoff pressure got to him. He's playing away from what made him successful and trying to do too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad