Dion Phaneuf: A Quantitatively Qualitative Analysis

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
There is perhaps no Leafs player of the last miserable decade that has drawn the ire, indignation and adoration of certain fans in equal parts quite like Dion Phaneuf. The Maple Leafs’ captain arrived in Toronto following a highly publicized blockbuster deal consummated 3 seasons ago, and represented a supposed culture change for the Leafs. Not only a symbol of change in the locker room, however, Dion was to be the face of the franchise moving forward, and would be looked upon as a linchpin for concrete change on the ice and in the standings.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1364-dion-phaneuf-a-quantitatively-qualitative-analysis

dion%20p%202.jpg

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Constant polarizing chatter clouds Phaneuf’s public image, ranging from being the Leafs’ best player to being the best candidate for a buyout.

That's a bit melodramatic no? A buyout on Phaneuf, come on.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There is perhaps no Leafs player of the last miserable decade that has drawn the ire, indignation and adoration of certain fans in equal parts quite like Dion Phaneuf.

I would say Kessel easily tops Phaneuf in that category.

8dm13

Dec 22, 2012
Constant polarizing chatter clouds Phaneuf’s public image, ranging from being the Leafs’ best player to being the best candidate for a buyout.

That's a bit melodramatic no? A buyout on Phaneuf, come on.

You're exactly right. Unfrotunately, I've heard "bench Phaneuf" and "buyout Phaneuf" numerous times from different people. They were serious.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Can we not all agree he is really bad?

Can't hold the line
Can't hit the net
Constant giveaways
Awful hockey iq

His partners don't help either thou. Kostka and Holzer suck

8dm13

Dec 22, 2012
I would say Kessel easily tops Phaneuf in that category.

Like I explained, people take issue mostly with the trade itself and who Boston got. Say the deal was Kaberle for Kessel....I guarantee that 90% of the Kessel bashing we see now wouldn't be happening. Kessel would be accepted for what he is -- a very skilled offensive player -- and his deficiencies wouldn't be scrutinized nearly as much. With Phaneuf, however, it seems that the extreme hate and high praise for him comes in at equal amounts. I think most people have begun to accept Kessel for what he is....in my experience anyway.

There will always be discussions on the trade as the players develop and progress in their respective careers, though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Can we not all agree he is really bad?

Can't hold the line
Can't hit the net
Constant giveaways
Awful hockey iq

His partners don't help either thou. Kostka and Holzer suck

He's not a Salarian. What do you expect? :sarcasm:

number72

Oct 9, 2011
I wonder how good Phaneuf looks because he is playing with fringe NHLers like Kostka and Holzer. When comparing Phaneuf to a fringe NHLer or any of the leafs defence he sure looks great out there but I'm not convinced he is as good as some think he is.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I wonder how good Phaneuf looks because he is playing with fringe NHLers like Kostka and Holzer. When comparing Phaneuf to a fringe NHLer or any of the leafs defence he sure looks great out there but I'm not convinced he is as good as some think he is.

Some would argue he is better than he is displaying because of the points you just mentioned.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

Yeah I'm sure the fringe NHLers really elevate his play by making him look good in comparison .. :skeptic:

Do you even watch hockey? lol

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010

Did you just find a way to discredit someone because they're carrying a greater workload due to who their playing with?

Wow...

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
There is perhaps no Leafs player of the last miserable decade that has drawn the ire, indignation and adoration of certain fans in equal parts quite like Dion Phaneuf. The Maple Leafs’ captain arrived in Toronto following a highly publicized blockbuster deal consummated 3 seasons ago, and represented a supposed culture change for the Leafs. Not only a symbol of change in the locker room, however, Dion was to be the face of the franchise moving forward, and would be looked upon as a linchpin for concrete change on the ice and in the standings.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1364-dion-phaneuf-a-quantitatively-qualitative-analysis

dion%20p%202.jpg

Even though that game sucked I liked this play the most. If you can't understand the words, you must understand the fists.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Did you just find a way to discredit someone because they're carrying a greater workload due to who their playing with?

Wow...

Yeah I'm sure the fringe NHLers really elevate his play by making him look good in comparison .. :skeptic:

Do you even watch hockey? lol

Some would argue he is better than he is displaying because of the points you just mentioned.

That is is the problem - too many fans can't view their own players impartially. Let's look at a comparable like Markov. He played with Komisarek and made him look like an all star and top 4 pairing. Now Markov, plays with Emelin and looks just as good as always.

Phaneuf played with Komisarek and three fringe NHLers and made them look like well fringe NHLer. When paired with a quality defender like Gunnar Phaneuf actually looked better. This is not to discredit Phaneuf but he can't make his partners "look" better then they are like an elite defender like Markov. Lidstrom and Chara are other defenders who can elevate their team mates. Phaneuf doesn't make anyone look better instead he needs a skilled partner to make him look decent. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad