OT: Dion Phaneuf 3rd highest G/GP of all active NHL D

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I heard a stat during Thursday's game that Phaneuf is 1 of only 30 defensemen in NHL history to score 100 goals by age 27. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Razor

Say no to Luongo.
Jun 18, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
He doesn't throw huge hits as much anymore either, but he's become a much better all-around defenseman.

Agree completely. Let us hope he signs a fair deal to remain a Leaf, might even be worth extending in the summer. Phil and Dion announcing extensions on the same day would make next season a little less stressful to watch.

lordsithis

Jul 25, 2010
If he can grow any kind of facial hair, he better be sporting a Brown-esque stache come playoffs.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I didn't watch him back then, but I wonder how good his Norris finalist season really was.

He was playing sheltered ES while leading the league in PP TOI IIRC. Any D to have 60 points is talked about for the Norris regardless of the circumstances that impact it.

dystorsion

Aug 10, 2010
That one-timer blast vs. Buffalo was paramount in "breaking-in" Ryan Miller. If it weren't for him, I believe it would have been another shutout by Miller. It's a huge compliment when the commentators say that nobody else would have been able to stop that puck.

I think it would be awesome to see more of that from Phaneuf.'

Edit: Also, it was the MSG broadcast, not Joe Bowen, that said nobody else could have stopped that one-timer. Pretty flattering.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Just imagine how many he could have if he hit the net the last couple of years. Am I the only one noticing he is changing sticks on the PP? Me think Dion is starting to listen.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That one-timer blast vs. Buffalo was paramount in "breaking-in" Ryan Miller. If it weren't for him, I believe it would have been another shutout by Miller. It's a huge compliment when the commentators say that nobody else would have been able to stop that puck.

I think it would be awesome to see more of that from Phaneuf.

Im sure those goals would have come earlier in the season if Carlyle wasnt adamant on playing Kostka on the #1 unit.

dystorsion

Aug 10, 2010
Im sure those goals would have come earlier in the season if Carlyle wasnt adamant on playing Kostka on the #1 unit.

It certainly is a love affair. But Franson has become a god in his own right recently and deserves to be where he is now.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
The impressive thing is, as a defenseman, he is just hitting his prime.

I hope we continue to see a hard hitting, 45pt+ , shut down defenseman.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
His point production is down from his Calgary years since coming to Toronto, but he has still scored at an 11 goal, 29 assist, 40 point pace over an 82 game stretch in his time with the Leafs. On top of that, he no longer puts himself out of position by searching for the big hit all the time, and has become much more responsible in his own end. I'd happily take a 40 point all-round defenseman over a 50 point, one-dimensional liability.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
And his defensive play is way better. Way better than when he first joined us as well.
As you said his offensive production has gone down but he has become an overall better player in the process.

He has gone from one of the most overrated Dmen in the league to arguably one of the most underrated.
On the main board or trade board most opposing fans(and many of ours) still talk about him being a defensive liability and bring up his lack of offensive production.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he should still play sheltered minutes to a point, just so he can concentrate more on offense. Think it would help if we just get the pure defensive d shutting down top players and letting Dion worry about pp and throwing opposing teams off balance.

I am just saying I prefer offensive threat Dion over defensive task master Dion.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He doesn't throw huge hits as much anymore either, but he's become a much better all-around defenseman.

He's also become a smarter player under Carlyle, and no doubt Carlyle's influence is huge. Who would you listen to? Carlyle the former Norris Trophy winning d-man? Or Wilson, the one who doesn't even talk much to his players?

Phaneuf has also adapted to the changes in the NHL with all the crackdowns on headshots, but remains a threat on the ice for opposing players with the possibility of a hard check coming at anytime. If he plays with the same reckless abandon as before, there's no doubt that he would be suspended numerous times.

I think the reason why many NHL players dislike Phaneuf is because they hated playing against him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad