OT: Dine Out Vancouver 2014 - Jan 17 - Feb 2, 2014

Wetcoaster

Great food and a Canucks game as an aperitif...

It is that most wonderful time of the year for Vancouver foodies and wannabe foodies or foodies in training.

96683a3dc6d1784591f5487dcc97a661_bigger.jpeg
Dine Out Vancouver Festival
Menus and our 263 participating restaurants are revealed. Reservations are live! www.dineoutvancouver.com #dovf #vancouver #noresolutions​

To get with the food experience...
EVERY STORY STARTS WITH A RESERVATION

Canada's largest restaurant festival, produced by Tourism Vancouver, and presented by American Express dishes up unlimited ways to enjoy the flavours of the city. Choose from hundreds of restaurants, a 17 day calendar of culinary events and dozens of hotel options to create your own delicious dining experiences.

We hope you’re hungry because the 2014 Festival is sure to satisfy.​

You can check out the 263 participating restaurants and their special menus HERE. Not all are in downtown Vancouver.

Search criteria:

Restaurant
Menus Price
Cuisine
Neighbourhood

And further refine it for Vegetarian, Lunch Menus and Gluten Free.

Also follow along on Facebook and Twitter

The Georgia Straight provides a helpful guide if it all looks a little overwhelming - Dine Out Vancouver 2014: how to choose the best restaurants

Restaurants offer three-course dinner menus at one or more of three price points: $18, $28, and $38. Many restaurants offer set lunch options as well. A record 263 restaurants are participating in this year’s festival, which runs from January 17 to February 2. Most restaurants are now taking reservations, and prime slots fill up quickly. So how do you choose where to book?

The Georgia Straight called up Lucas Pavan, the festival’s coordinator, to get some insider tips. “Where to go really depends on the person,” he says. He notes that some people narrow down the offerings based on price, while others zero in on places they’ve never been before. Still others use Dine Out as an opportunity to rekindle a relationship with an eatery they used to frequent.

According to Pavan, at least 40 restaurants will be participating in the Dine Out program for the first time this year. Many of these have opened in the last year, such as the Chinese restaurant Bambudda, the pasta place called Ask for Luigi, and PiDGiN, the Downtown Eastside spot that blends eastern and western influences and was the target of anti-gentrification protests. Other new participants include local chains like Romer’s Burger Bar and Cactus Club Cafe, which have jumped on the festival bandwagon.

Last year, Pavan says, high-end restaurants like the Five Sails, Chambar, Joe Fortes, Black + Blue, Bacchus, and West recorded the largest number of reservations. If history is any indication, restaurants that won the Dine Out Vancouver Festival Best Bite Awards last year may be a good bet.

In the $18 category, the August Jack in Kitsilano, a new restaurant that specializes in craft beer, is offering split pea and boar bacon soup to start, smoked brisket and Yorkshire pudding to follow, and Black Forest cake for dessert. Also in Kits, Atithi Indian Cuisine entices with entrée choices like sablefish or lamb Bengali curry. Near the Vancouver/Burnaby border at Max’s Restaurant—a popular Filipino casual spot—entrée options include pork adobo with pickled spinach and flame-grilled chicken with java rice.

In the $28 category, I’d bet on Ask for Luigi in Railtown. All the choices here look good, including beef carpaccio to start, handmade pappardelle with Bolognese sauce as a main (with J. C. Poirier at the helm, this ain’t no ordinary spaghetti and meat sauce), and olive oil cake to finish. This restaurant is sure to be popular, and it’s not taking reservations, so show up and take your chances. For those who don’t have a sweet tooth (or are sticking to their New Year’s resolutions), Commercial Drive’s Merchant’s Oyster Bar is mixing things up with a three-course savoury menu. Options here include oysters on the half shell to start, beef tartare to follow, and steelhead trout for the main event.

Continuing on, the $38 category includes plenty of places to wield a steak knife. Choices at downtown’s Black + Blue include a grilled vegetable napoleon followed by pepper-crusted beef tenderloin and carrot cake. Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House offers shrimp ceviche followed by New York steak and chocolate lava cake as one way to go. On the lighter side, Miku has an array of seafood sushi or an entirely vegetarian menu with vegetarian sushi.​
http://www.straight.com/food/560721/dine-out-vancouver-2014-how-choose-best-restaurants

And Amy Watkins and the staff at Vancouver Eater has sifted through a couple of hundred menus and offers these picks:

Dine Out: Best for $18

Dine Out: Best for $28

Dine Out: Best for $38

If you are planning to attend a Canucks game as a local or out-of-towner you may want to check out some of the deals being offered. For visitors (or a romantic evening) you can pair up the meal with a hotel package as well and there are hotel only deals.
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/hotels/

A night at the Wedgewood Hotel and Spa for my significant other and myself. She will hit the spa. I will hit the bar.

Dine Out Vancouver Package

Located in the heart of downtown, Bacchus compliments Wedgewood Hotel's reputation for quality, service & excellence. Executive Chef Lee Parsons' modern French cuisine, is a gourmet experience in romantic surroundings with live entertainment. Dine Out package including accommodations, parking, breakfast & dinner(http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/lis...ge-Wedgewood-Hotel/17366/0/#dineoutdinnermenu) available from $241 single/double occupancy not including taxes and service charges. 845 Hornby Street. 604.689.7777​
https://reservations.tourismvancouv...ckage.asp?Hotel_ID=WHS&AFL_ID=DOVF14&Pkgc=DOV

And there are a number of special events going on as well:
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/events/

If you are a jazz fan (and everyone with discerning tastes should be ;) ) check out:

weeds_page1.jpg

Jazz Out: Weeds/Minemoto Quartet
Presented by Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club
Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club, 3611 West Broadway
January 31, February 1, 2
8:00pm and 9:30pm

Jazz up your Dine Out Vancouver Festival experience with the Weeds / Minemoto Quartet and guest Chris Davis as they play the Clifford Brown Max Roach Songbook. Presented by Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club, this is your opportunity to combine a three course meal and some super fine live jazz music before the Cellar Jazz Club closes for good.

This night features CORY WEEDS tenor sax, SHARON MINEMOTO piano, CHRIS DAVIS trumpet, TOM WAKELING bass, JOE POOLE drums.​
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/events/weeds-minemoto-quartet/

Or

gary_page.jpg

Jazz Out: Gary Smulyan Nonet
Presented by Cross Border Jazz and Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club
Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club, 3611 West Broadway
January 17, 18, 19
8:00pm and 9:30pm

Jazz up your Dine Out Vancouver Festival experience with New York City's Gary Smulyan Nonet. Presented by Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club, this is your opportunity to combine a three course meal and some super fine live jazz music before the Cellar Jazz Club closes for good.

From New York City, Saxophonist Gary Smulyan & his Nonet - High Noon play the music of Frankie Laine, featuring GARY SMULYAN baritone saxophone, CAM RYGA alto and soprano saxophone, JAMES DANDERFER tenor sax / bass clarinet, CHRIS DAVIS trumpet, ROD MURRAY trombone, STEVE DENROCHE french horn, MILES BLACK piano, KEN LISTER bass, JESSE CAHILL drums.

This tribute album by baritone saxophonist Gary Smulyan features his bebop-based nonet pulling inspiration from a 1956 album by pop singer Frankie Laine (1913-2007) and trumpeter Buck Clayton. As Laine's foray into jazz's '50s mainstream, Jazz Spectacular (Columbia) represented a piece of the singer's repertoire not as well-known as his pop music. It allowed him to interact with instrumentalists of the era who represented jazz authority and had little to do with themes such as "High Noon," "Mule Train," "Cool Water," "Rawhide," "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" and the more recent "Blazing Saddles" and "3:10 to Yuma." Laine did not sing on the soundtrack for High Noon, but did record it as another of his Western-based hits.​
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/events/gary-smulyan-nonet/

Perhaps a nostalgic Italian theme this year - with some old favourites?

Cafe Il Nido. (A great place hidden away in courtyard off Robson Street at Thurlow in the historic Manhattan Court building.) Three courses for $38.
Il-Nido-11.jpg

• Zuppa di Pesce ~ Seafood soup with prawns , mussels, clams, fish, lemon grass, fennel and cilantro
  • OssoBuco~ Lamb shank, slow braised in a red wine reduction
  • TORTA DI LIMONE House made Lemon tartw/ raspberry coulees
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/listings/Cafe-Il-Nido/19591/0/#dineoutdinnermenu

Don Francesco Ristorante (I ate regularly at his original restaurant "Francesco Alongi's" back in the 1970's and 1980's) Three courses for $38.
francesco_ristorante.jpg

• Porcini mushroom soup
  • Lobster Lasagna - emmenthal cheese, shallots, dry white vermouth, light cream, seasonings and lobster meat
  • Chocolate Ganache Cake
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/listings/Don-Francesco-Ristorante/19439/0/#dineoutdinnermenu

Osteria Napoli (my go to pre-dinner place back when the Canucks played at the Rink on Renfrew) - $28 foor three courses:
osteria_napoli0.jpg

• Antipasto All’Italiana - Mixed Antipasto-Italian Style
  • Veal Bocconcini - Stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, cheese, brandy & demi glace sauce
  • Tiramisu
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=20166&menuID=1042&hit=1

As my Italian friends say... Mangia! Mangia!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Relevant:

Love dine-out Vancouver, nice post Wet. I have a list of about 5 restaurants that I plan on going to if I can get in:

CHAMBAR
L'ABATTOIR
PIDGIN
SALT TASTING ROOM
MERCHANT'S OYSTER BAR

Need to find a good Italian place though... Osteria Napoli is a possibility.

Wetcoaster

Relevant:

Love dine-out Vancouver, nice post Wet. I have a list of about 5 restaurants that I plan on going to if I can get in:

CHAMBAR
L'ABATTOIR
PIDGIN
SALT TASTING ROOM
MERCHANT'S OYSTER BAR

Osteria Napoli is great.

You might want to give Cibo Trattoria in the Moda Hotel a try.
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/listings/Cibo-Trattoria-Moda-Hotel/20381/1042/#dineoutdinnermenu

Or La Buca (the grilled lamb is terrific).
http://www.dineoutvancouver.com/listings/La-Buca/37253/1042/#dineoutdinnermenu

Back in the 1970's you could get a real Goodfella's vibe at Nino's La Botte Restaurant run by Antonio "Nino" Gentile - the brother of Joe Gentile who headed up the Mafia out here. Nino was not part of The LIFE but having dinner there often was a who's who of organized crime of that era.

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Relevant:

CHAMBAR
L'ABATTOIR
PIDGIN
SALT TASTING ROOM
MERCHANT'S OYSTER BAR

Trattoria is a really good Italian restaurant.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Cool, I will look into those. Osteria Napoli is about 5min drive from my place, it's actually silly I haven't gone already considering I drive past it nearly every day.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Cool, I will look into those. Osteria Napoli is about 5min drive from my place, it's actually silly I haven't gone already considering I drive past it nearly every day.

If you are looking for something a little more contemporary (and going by your other picks you might be) I would recommend Ask for Luigi and Campagnolo (Roma). The former for their pasta and meatballs and the latter for pizza.

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Sun restaurant critic Mia Stainsby’s top choices for romantic dining during DOV 2014.
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/fo...+best+romantic+restaurants/9364066/story.html

And her picks as the best bets:

Chambar

Black + Blue

Ask For Luigi,

La Pentola della Quercia

L’Abattoir

Maenam

MARKET by Jean-Georges

Cincin Ristorante

Diva at the Met

Glowbal Grill Steaks and Satay

Edible Canada

Miku Restaurant

Minami’

Pidgin

West

Wildebeest
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/01/08/best-bets-for-dine-out-vancouver-2014/

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
Been to a number of those restaurants mentioned including past Dine Out menu's.

It's nice to go to some of the more expensive places that I wouldn't normally go to.

Edible Canada (located in Granville Island) is an amazing brunch spot but I've never been there for dinner, will have to check it out.

For more adventurous types, Fanclub is having a Dine Out circus/burlesque event which sounds interesting:

http://vancouverfanclub.ca/24-2/night-circus-atlantis/

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
If you are looking for something a little more contemporary (and going by your other picks you might be) I would recommend Ask for Luigi and Campagnolo (Roma). The former for their pasta and meatballs and the latter for pizza.

I don't know how I missed this post.

Campagnolo Roma is probably one of my wife's favourite restaurants, have been many times, always excellent.

Got my reservations for Chambar, need to get on the others.

Haka

Aug 14, 2007

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
I can't tell the difference in Pho because I love Pho in general that they all taste relatively the same to me yet I'm always craving it. No matter where I eat, they all taste the same so I have no idea how to tell the difference between decent pho and great quality pho

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
Did DOV at Wildebeest earlier this week. The lamb tartar and hanger steak were great! The dessert, not so much.

I really enjoy:

Pho Long Restaurant
3370 Fraser Street

which is near there. Best I've found in Vancouver so far. Will give yours a shot though next time.

I like Pho Tan on Main (not the Kerrisdale one that's run by another family member of the owner of Main).

4598 Main St, Vancouver, BC V5V

Wetcoaster

I can't tell the difference in Pho because I love Pho in general that they all taste relatively the same to me yet I'm always craving it. No matter where I eat, they all taste the same so I have no idea how to tell the difference between decent pho and great quality pho
Some places take shortcuts making the broth - not as full flavoured and sometimes an underlying chemical taste.. Others seem intent on really going full bore with MSG or the salt.

The best traditional Pho broths IMHO?

Pho Tan - 4598 Main St./ 6516 Kingsway

Pho Thái Hôa - 1625 Kingsway - go with the House special pho dac biet.

Pho Hong - 5975 Kingsway (at Imperial) - but the service can be abysmal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad