Dinamo Rīga 2013/2014 season talk

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So our lost son Sejejs has come back as our GM,maybe if he has a nostalgia attack he decides to get back ol` buddies Hossa and Surovy? if so our roster could smth like this

Martins Karsums-Paul Sczechura-Miks Indrasis
Marcel Hossa-Jamie-Johnson-Surovy/Roberts Bukarts
Gints Meija-Andris Dzerins-Rihards Bukarts (i think he gets called up next season)
4th line plug-4th line plug-4th line plug.

I think we could get in PO we this roster.

New thread for the upcomming season,continue here :)

Last edited:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
To get in the play-offs we'll really need to be 100% successful in attracting foreigners. There's not much of resources in the team if we talk about Latvians, especially if GalviņÅ¡ is leaving we have even more problems.

I believe (from what I saw at the end of season and at the tournament some hate) Bukarts can have a bigger role in the team and it would certainly be good if he could play at that kind of level all season long. As regards reinforcements from HK Riga, it will be tough to Rihards Bukarts since Liepājas Metalurgs has collapsed and I believe Artūrs Kuzmenkovs might need a league to play in and as he is 93, could be useful a lot to Dinamo... furthermore they have Jeļisējevs from 94 growing up. But I could see him introduced to Dinamo for some games if his progress continues. In any case he won't be the player to impact team's scoring much next season.

Competition for play-off zone is only increasing so in any way with our miniscule budget it will be hard, much harder to make play-offs. The days when you could be able to make play-offs just because your team had no big problems during the season have ended. Also in this day's KHL Riga is ''nothing special'' now, Slovan earns probably a good few times more from merch and tickets and everything and is now the best example in earning from hockey, there are bigger crowds in Minsk and St. Petersburg and HD TV picture from many arenas. We're now just one of the clubs in that regard too that also will impact player selection... as well as the fact that there are now a few more clubs without import limit in the league.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
To get in the play-offs we'll really need to be 100% successful in attracting foreigners. There's not much of resources in the team if we talk about Latvians, especially if Galviņš is leaving we have even more problems.

I believe (from what I saw at the end of season and at the tournament some hate) Bukarts can have a bigger role in the team and it would certainly be good if he could play at that kind of level all season long. As regards reinforcements from HK Riga, it will be tough to Rihards Bukarts since Liepājas Metalurgs has collapsed and I believe Artūrs Kuzmenkovs might need a league to play in and as he is 93, could be useful a lot to Dinamo... furthermore they have Jeļisējevs from 94 growing up. But I could see him introduced to Dinamo for some games if his progress continues. In any case he won't be the player to impact team's scoring much next season.

Competition for play-off zone is only increasing so in any way with our miniscule budget it will be hard, much harder to make play-offs. The days when you could be able to make play-offs just because your team had no big problems during the season have ended. Also in this day's KHL Riga is ''nothing special'' now, Slovan earns probably a good few times more from merch and tickets and everything and is now the best example in earning from hockey, there are bigger crowds in Minsk and St. Petersburg and HD TV picture from many arenas. We're now just one of the clubs in that regard too that also will impact player selection... as well as the fact that there are now a few more clubs without import limit in the league.

Well the crowds are bigger because their teams didnt suck as much and btw we will get HD cameras too so thats not an issue.
Also what do you think about Giroux,should we keep him?

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Well the crowds are bigger because their teams didnt suck as much and btw we will get HD cameras too so thats not an issue.
Also what do you think about Giroux,should we keep him?

IMHO we should keep anyone who can score goals and he definitely can

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
But i really hope Rihards Bukarts crack the lineup,imo Tambijevs is killing his talent,hand the kid over to Abols!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But i really hope Rihards Bukarts crack the lineup,imo Tambijevs is killing his talent,hand the kid over to Abols!

After watching today's match against Russia I must say this once again, there is still a long and bumpy road ahead for Bukarts to the KHL. Defensively he's quite terrible by big league standards and offensively he would most likely be ineffective due to lack of strength.

Also, unless he makes a wast improvement during the summer we can forget the idea he may get drafted in the first round.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
After watching today's match against Russia I must say this once again, there is still a long and bumpy road ahead for Bukarts to the KHL. Defensively he's quite terrible by big league standards and offensively he would most likely be ineffective due to lack of strength.

Also, unless he makes a wast improvement during the summer we can forget the idea he may get drafted in the first round.

Are you kidding you must be watching a different players,hes the one that can actually makes some decent hits on our team.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Are you kidding you must be watching a different players,hes the one that can actually makes some decent hits on our team.

Nizivijs or Zuccarello can deliver some decent hits too, that doesn't determine their strength though. Jagr delivers maybe 3 hits per season but he's one of the strongest hockey players ever.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Nizivijs or Zuccarello can deliver some decent hits too, that doesn't determine their strength though. Jagr delivers maybe 3 hits per season but he's one of the strongest hockey players ever.

He has bulked up significantly,ill remind you karsums is only 5`11 and he delivers one of the best hits in latvian NT.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He has bulked up significantly,ill remind you karsums is only 5`11 and he delivers one of the best hits in latvian NT.

What's your obsession with those hits, dude? :laugh: Ability to hit is almost non-important for such a high-skill player like Bukarts anyway. Glad you mentioned Karsums, they are so similar and so different at the same time. Karsums is good on boards, hard to knock off the puck, goes to the dirty areas and can actually outmuscle a defenseman there meanwhile these are exactly the things Bukarts lacks despite having so much more natural skill and flair.

Yes, Bukarts has bulked up significantly and since he's only 17 his future is still bright (although obviously there are some concerns, kid is not a world beater) but at this point KHL is no place for him.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What's your obsession with those hits, dude? :laugh: Ability to hit is almost non-important for such a high-skill player like Bukarts anyway. Glad you mentioned Karsums, they are so similar and so different at the same time. Karsums is good on boards, hard to knock off the puck, goes to the dirty areas and can actually outmuscle a defenseman there meanwhile these are exactly the things Bukarts lacks despite having so much more natural skill and flair.

Yes, Bukarts has bulked up significantly and since he's only 17 his future is still bright (although obviously there are some concerns, kid is not a world beater) but at this point KHL is no place for him.

All things Bukarts has improved on which i dont know you refuse to accept it,or do you watch Bukarts only on offense? (where ofc he stands out the most)
Also his attitude has really changed. If only he could get away from Tambijevs.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
All things Bukarts has improved on which i dont know you refuse to accept it,or do you watch Bukarts only on offense? (where ofc he stands out the most)
Also his attitude has really changed. If only he could get away from Tambijevs.

I'm not saying he hasn't improved, he has, that's only natural for the guy his age. What I'm saying is that he would still be useless or, more likely, even harmful in the KHL. My question would be if you are watching him only on offense? His defensive reads at times are terrible or he fails to make them at all; being a right handed shot on a left wing makes it hard for him to clear the zone making him a liability especially playing a faster paced game and so on.

Collberg, a very similar player to Bukarts, is having trouble translating any of his offense into points at Elitserien level at the age of 19. What's for Bukarts to do at the KHL being only 17?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I'm not saying he hasn't improved, he has, that's only natural for the guy his age. What I'm saying is that he would still be useless or, more likely, even harmful in the KHL. My question would be if you are watching him only on offense? His defensive reads at times are terrible or he fails to make them at all; being a right handed shot on a left wing makes it hard for him to clear the zone making him a liability especially playing a faster paced game and so on.

Collberg, a very similar player to Bukarts, is having trouble translating any of his offense into points at Elitserien level at the age of 19. What's for Bukarts to do at the KHL being only 17?

Okay nevermind i`m curious what are your prognosis on Bukarts? Do you think he will get drafted? If so where? When will he debut in KHL in your opinion?
Maybe i`m just looking from my biased viewpoint :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Okay nevermind i`m curious what are your prognosis on Bukarts? Do you think he will get drafted? If so where? When will he debut in KHL in your opinion?
Maybe i`m just looking from my biased viewpoint :laugh:

It's hard to project something when he's not even in his draft year yet. It all still depends on A LOT of things you can't really foresee.

Obviously, he will get drafted. At this point he's a traditional high risk - high reward prospect meaning he should be drafted somewhere between 2nd and 4th rounds but since he plays in Latvia you can't be too sure about that.

The same is about his KHL debut. If he rounds out his game and generally develops well next season Riga could use that kind of player as soon as the end of next season and he would have a roster spot locked up coming into 14/15. But since Dinamo is a pretty challenged team personnel-wise, he may have his chance even sooner than that.

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga
So our lost son Sejejs has come back as our GM,maybe if he has a nostalgia attack he decides to get back ol` buddies Hossa and Surovy? if so our roster could smth like this

Martins Karsums-Paul Sczechura-Miks Indrasis
Marcel Hossa-Jamie-Johnson-Surovy/Roberts Bukarts
Gints Meija-Andris Dzerins-Rihards Bukarts (i think he gets called up next season)
4th line plug-4th line plug-4th line plug.

I think we could get in PO we this roster.

New thread for the upcomming season,continue here :)

At the beginning of the last season, when asked about DR making the PO, you gave this answer:
Totally reachable i would even go as far as say even more-so than last year.

And we know how that turned out to be in the end. :laugh:

And what is it with you rushing all our young hockey players to play so very early with professionals. Just recently you wanted Lipsbergs to be on our Mens NT and now you want to rush Bukarts to KHL. It's way to early, let him mature a bit. And if he's nearly as good as you claim he is, I want him to try his luck in the NA, but of course that's his choice to make.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
At the beginning of the last season, when asked about DR making the PO, you gave this answer:

And we know how that turned out to be in the end. :laugh:

Well,the difference is that Karsums,Scezcuhra,Hossa,Surovy are all proven players. Theyre not like Schremp who might be good,but might also suck.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
please keep Ivanans and Bicevskis, like this guys so much. some gritty in your fourth line

Ivanans has zero hockey sense,also he gets penalties all the time and is often time cought flat-footed on defense, so hes really only good at fighting.
And i have yet to hear anyone call Bicevskis "gritty",hes far from that,infact he is one of those players i would like to replace on 4th line for someone with more mass and prefferably taller and bulkier too.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I've been wondering about this for a while, so here it goes. When Dinamo was created they signed pretty much every Latvian NT player they could. Obviously, most of these left the team already.

Meanwhile a new crop of players - like Klavins, Kenins, Jekimovs - has emerged and are already at the NT level. But it's my impression that DR isn't interested a whole lot in signing them or talented Latvians in general. Chumps like Pavlovs and Ivanans were signed, Ankipans and Nizivijs got their contract extensions meanwhile Kuzmenkovs was let walk. Jekimovs just got signed by the poorest team in Finland while he could easily be playing on the 3rd DR line.

At the end, my question is - are you generally happy with the Dinamo's policy of acquiring players? Wouldn't it be better to shed a huge salary of, for example, Giroux on a few local lads who can play? Results can't get much worse anyway, wouldn't it be better to at least let the Latvians benefit form KHL experience?

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I've been wondering about this for a while, so here it goes. When Dinamo was created they signed pretty much every Latvian NT player they could. Obviously, most of these left the team already.

Meanwhile a new crop of players - like Klavins, Kenins, Jekimovs - has emerged and are already at the NT level. But it's my impression that DR isn't interested a whole lot in signing them or talented Latvians in general. Chumps like Pavlovs and Ivanans were signed, Ankipans and Nizivijs got their contract extensions meanwhile Kuzmenkovs was let walk. Jekimovs just got signed by the poorest team in Finland while he could easily be playing on the 3rd DR line.

At the end, my question is - are you generally happy with the Dinamo's policy of acquiring players? Wouldn't it be better to shed a huge salary of, for example, Giroux on a few local lads who can play? Results can't get much worse anyway, wouldn't it be better to at least let the Latvians benefit form KHL experience?

Well the situation was different when Dinamo formed. The players there were either experienced veterans from good leagues who knew that Dinamo would be playing home and anyway, if something went wrong, the career was already going towards the end (Ņiživijs, Tribuncovs, Reķis, Laviņš) or young players for whom KHL was a big step up from Belorussian or even Latvian league (Rēdlihs, Dārziņš, Meija, Sotnieks, Bērziņš, Ankipāns, Cipulis). For some guys it was also an ability to grow already as an established player (Kr. Rēdlihs, had played in AHL, Elitserien, DEL before). Then later the guys who let go of their NHL dreams came (Karsums, Sprukts) and it was logical step for them too.

Today the situation with the guys you mentioned is different. Ķēniņš plays in Switzerland from the age of 14, he grew up in ZSC Lions, he's only 22 and still not one of the guys who is very productive there. And his WC experience is 2 tournaments (this will be third), maybe already an established player but not as much the leader as Dārziņš or Rēdlihs were when they joined KHL. He also has a long term contract with ZSC Lions (ends after next season, so then who knows). Dinamo could probably buy it out, at the same time in that case they could also overpay and they don't really do that nowadays. Kļaviņš is still a junior and HK Riga's coach Tambijevs doesn't like him much. His only reputation in men's hockey is 30 games in Elitserien as a junior and he himself probably feels pretty good having received a professional's contract from the team not to think about Dinamo and KHL at the moment. His going to Dinamo at this point would probably be like Nichushkin leaving Traktor for NHL after the draft - good chance that he ends up in junior league (HK Riga) or whatever is the Dinamo's farm club next year, while his reputation as a player is higher in AIK and he could play in Elitserien. With Jekimovs the situation probably is a bit trickier but I bet he might still want to be even better in SM Liiga and only then go to KHL, as at the moment he also isn't really an established NT player yet and not really a ''star'' player at NT level.

Then again there were questions why Riga didn't fight for say Bārtulis or Kulda (or at least one of them, if they had already enough signed d-men) before this season, so this question is valid and some people are concerned. Others though believe that Dinamo should better raise their own talents and should not touch players that are playing good enough in high level leagues (and have been raised in their hockey schools like Kļaviņš who plays in Sweden already a few years or the same about Ķēniņš).

About Kuzmenkovs - he wasn't Dinamo's property so it's understandable why they let him go. He is Liepājas Metalurgs' hockey school kid, so they gave him to HK Riga for a season not to sit him on the bench or play in the 4th line of the main club that plays in Belarus league, and this year they took him back to play in Belarus league where he was good, so no problem there. If Dinamo is interested they can get him for next season. Dinamo Riga still has Jeļisējevs (1994) and Bukarts (1995) if he doesn't leave to go to CHL, so if they also have Kuzmenkovs maybe we will see some of these prospects on ice next year.

Also the problem with Dinamo is that it really cannot outspend an Elitserien or NLA club to buy a player really. Even buying out Jekimovs or Ķēniņš would be overspending for players, so they won't do that. That's why they buy those AHL guys every year cause the AHL guys don't receive that good salaries in the first place. That's why now they sign only in places where they wouldn't overspend and Ivanāns and Pavlovs were probably as cheap as they come... In the past they could just match the players' previous contracts and attract veterans with a chance to play at a similar level at home and give youngsters a chance to play in a much better league. These guys you mentioned are young and all in good leagues, they don't want to go home yet just because it's home and they don't really need the KHL level at this time as much :D :D

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also the problem with Dinamo is that it really cannot outspend an Elitserien or NLA club to buy a player really. Even buying out Jekimovs or ĶēniņÅ¡ would be overspending for players, so they won't do that. That's why they buy those AHL guys every year cause the AHL guys don't receive that good salaries in the first place.

I agree that buying out someone would be unwise but Jekimovs was a free agent this off-season and his stats are already arguably better than the ones Darzins had when coming to Dinamo.

Some AHL players are really cheap indeed but Giroux (325k per year in the AHL) or Johnson (200k) are not the case.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I really think this is going to be a break-out year for Indrasis,i think it`s likely he will be one of the guys that will carry this team on their back along with Karsums and Sczechura.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00