Player Discussion Dillon Simpson

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
One reason why Davidson and Reinhart were expendable.

He is defensively responsible who plays a well rounded game. He has played close to 200 ahl games now.

He will be one of the main callups on defence I believe. I'd like to see him get 15+ games with the Oil this upcoming season.

What are your thoughts on Dillon Simpson as he's becoming more established in Bakersfield?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The way I see it the Oilers have a hole on LD until Sekera is back.

Simpson looked decent in his stint last season. He'd be OK as a 6/7.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Simpson is 24 now, and has 30 minutes' career NHL experience. I guess my question is, if he's good enough to be a pro, why hasn't he made it by now, when the Oilers were the worst team when he was between 18 and 23? I mean, I know it takes time for D-men to develop, but.... (you would think he'd also have a slight advantage given his Dad).

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Sometimes you never know what you got in a prospect unless you give them a decent stint in the big leagues. I think if Dillon looks good in the pre-season, you let him onto the starting lineup and give him a fair shot to showcase himself.

Assuming no other D are signed, Simpson has a chance to make the team as the bottom pairing LDH.

Klef-Lar
Nurse-Rus
???-Ben
Extra: Gryba

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
To me, I don't see him as an NHL defenseman, I don't see him improving, and I also believe he is only here because of the Old Boys Club.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Simpsons ahl stats have looked as good, if not better then Brandon Davidsons at the same age. A lot of the reports out of Bakersfield throughout the year were about Simpson being the best defensive dman on the team.

Shows why chia chose not to pay Vegas to take something other then Reinhart.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For me Simpson is on the cusp of making the NHL. Hes paid his dues in 3 years in the AHL and getting some pretty rave reviews down there. Hes a smarter player and better skater than Reinhart and ive held for 2 years now that Simpson is a better prospect than Reinhart. Simpson looked solid in his brief 3 games in NHL and possesses all the ability to be a solid bottom pairing D. For me he is this year Davidson (who also took 3 years in AHL and only a brief but impressive 12 game sample size in 3rd year). However I do see a chance Jones steps in and plays lights out and takes that spot

Simpson is 24 now, and has 30 minutes' career NHL experience. I guess my question is, if he's good enough to be a pro, why hasn't he made it by now, when the Oilers were the worst team when he was between 18 and 23? I mean, I know it takes time for D-men to develop, but.... (you would think he'd also have a slight advantage given his Dad).

Simpson was played all 4 years in NCAA (doing extremely well), noway hes leaving the NCAA at 18-22 to get some limited shot at being a bottom pairing D on a tire fire team

It is increidbly ironic that Oilers fans pine for this long winded, Detriot style development (keep em in NCAA/junior for as along as possible, then 3/4 years in AHL). Then when it actually happens the same fans use it as a knock against them to question why they took so long to get to NHL. Damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I haven't seen enough of Dillon to really comment on his play. But I do recall hearing a lot of positive comments on his play at the NCAA level.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
All depends on training camp. Hopefully he sets the world on fire.

Exactly.

He'll play a lot in preseason and we'll see what he does with it.

He's developed slowly in Bakersfield and that's not a bad thing. By all accounts, he was good down there last year and I didn't think he was out of place in his cup of coffee up here.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Guess he'll be fighting with Jones for 3rd pairing LD while Sekera is out.

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
X-Benning
Gryba

is how I see it. Simpson has paid his dues though so if all things are equal I guess he'll get the spot over Jones. I assume Simpson needs go through waivers too if he's sent down, so that adds another thing in his favor.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Guess he'll be fighting with Jones for 3rd pairing LD while Sekera is out.

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
X-Benning
Gryba

is how I see it. Simpson has paid his dues though so if all things are equal I guess he'll get the spot over Jones. I assume Simpson needs go through waivers too if he's sent down, so that adds another thing in his favor.

Hmm... not sure I'd break up the Klefbom/Larsson pairing. I'd also like to see how Russell can perform on his stronger side while Sekera is out.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - XXX (Maybe Fayne?)
Gryba

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
For me Simpson is on the cusp of making the NHL. Hes paid his dues in 3 years in the AHL and getting some pretty rave reviews down there. Hes a smarter player and better skater than Reinhart and ive held for 2 years now that Simpson is a better prospect than Reinhart. Simpson looked solid in his brief 3 games in NHL and possesses all the ability to be a solid bottom pairing D. For me he is this year Davidson (who also took 3 years in AHL and only a brief but impressive 12 game sample size in 3rd year). However I do see a chance Jones steps in and plays lights out and takes that spot

Simpson was played all 4 years in NCAA (doing extremely well), noway hes leaving the NCAA at 18-22 to get some limited shot at being a bottom pairing D on a tire fire team

It is increidbly ironic that Oilers fans pine for this long winded, Detriot style development (keep em in NCAA/junior for as along as possible, then 3/4 years in AHL). Then when it actually happens the same fans use it as a knock against them to question why they took so long to get to NHL. Damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess

i was literally coming to say this after reading the thread.

Simpson has great tools and is here because of his skillset and has nothing to do with his dad, he is smart and efficent and ive said for a long time he would be an nhl player

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hmm... not sure I'd break up the Klefbom/Larsson pairing. I'd also like to see how Russell can perform on his stronger side while Sekera is out.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gryba

I don't like Russell-Benning as a 2nd pairing, like at all. Both those guys are #4/5 guys who need to be paired with a stronger player in order to be successful in a top4 role. If you deploy Russell-Benning as your 2nd pairing they need to have way, way less and easier minutes compared to what Sekera-Russell played last year. Second problem is that your 3rd pairing will now be much worse too as it'll be Nurse-Gryba or Nurse-Fayne, both bad options. So effectively you'll have one very good pairing in Klefbom-Larsson but they'll need to carry the entire D on their own and play massive minutes. Much rather split them up until Sekera is back.

My suggested d-lineup is much more balanced. Russell showed he could do well playing bigger minutes as long as he is paired with a guy who can can defer to, to move the puck. Klefbom will do that for him. They'll be able to play tough minutes together. With Nurse-Larsson you have a fairly decent 2nd pairing. Larsson will bail out Nurse and allow him to jump up offensively, similar to what we saw happen with Klefbom this year. I think it'll be great for Nurse and it'll allow him to develop his game much more instead of having him stuck with a poor d like Gryba or Fayne.

Finally, having Benning on the 3rd pair with one of Jones/Simpson playing soft, sheltered minutes is ideal. Benning should handle himself just fine in that role and should be able to carry that pairing, allowing Simpson/Jones to adjust nicely.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I think that temp spot is going to Fayne or Stanton myself, but Simpson is right behind em. Pre-season will tell the tail I guess.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

c'mon really? Simpson has at least proven he's been a good pick at his draft position. He's a good prospect. Lots of orgs make picks like this from time to time.

Not only that, but there could be benefit in getting someone with ties with the team already. Even Keegan Lowe. You could say that it shows preferential treatment, but it could also be an asset. It all depends on how the kids react to the situation. Maybe being closer to family will help their development and morale, and maybe having family in the org will make them more loyal to us in the future.

It's just like French Canadian players in Montreal. People diss it all the time, but maybe it is an asset. A guy like Drouin might do better surrounded by other francophones, and maybe the fans will love and support him a bit extra. Whether that's a good or bad thing all depends on how he reacts to it, but for many players it is a positive reaction.

The only real negative of having kids like Dillion and Keegan in the org is that there are fans who will never accept them because of the animosity towards OBC thinking. It goes too far imo. All orgs have OBC thinking. It's only a problem if it's the only way of thinking.

Using a 4th round pick on Dillon and picking up Keegan for free is appropriate considering their talent.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
To me, I don't see him as an NHL defenseman, I don't see him improving, and I also believe he is only here because of the Old Boys Club.

he was only drafted because he was the son of an Old Boys Club member. so was David Musil. i feel that if the Oilers don't make a move this summer to replace Sekera until he returns then Simpson is likely the guy who'll replace him. i'm OK with this because he didn't look out of place defensively when he has been called up before.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
c'mon really? Simpson has at least proven he's been a good pick at his draft position. He's a good prospect. Lots of orgs make picks like this from time to time.

Not only that, but there could be benefit in getting someone with ties with the team already. Even Keegan Lowe. You could say that it shows preferential treatment, but it could also be an asset. It all depends on how the kids react to the situation. Maybe being closer to family will help their development and morale, and maybe having family in the org will make them more loyal to us in the future.

It's just like French Canadian players in Montreal. People diss it all the time, but maybe it is an asset. A guy like Drouin might do better surrounded by other francophones, and maybe the fans will love and support him a bit extra. Whether that's a good or bad thing all depends on how he reacts to it, but for many players it is a positive reaction.

The only real negative of having kids like Dillion and Keegan in the org is that there are fans who will never accept them because of the animosity towards OBC thinking. It goes too far imo. All orgs have OBC thinking. It's only a problem if it's the only way of thinking.

Using a 4th round pick on Dillon and picking up Keegan for free is appropriate considering their talent.

I don't really feel strongly one way or the other on the player but if he actually cracks this years line up even as a #8 with as little as he has shown you got to wonder how many moves. Marincin, Davidson, Musil, and Reinhart were made with him in mind. He used to buried so far it was a pipe dream of playing even 10 games in the NHL for the Oilers. Still should be from how little he has shown.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't really feel strongly one way or the other on the player but if he actually cracks this years line up even as a #8 with as little as he has shown you got to wonder how many moves. Marincin, Davidson, Musil, and Reinhart were made with him in mind. He used to buried so far it was a pipe dream of playing even 10 games in the NHL for the Oilers. Still should be from how little he has shown.

Genuinely curious how many AHL games you've watched? Are you saying he hasnt shown much because maybe you just dont watch AHL games and his AHL stat totals dont jump off the page?

Seems like the argument against is "Well he hasnt made NHL so he hasnt shown much!" yet if he did make the NHL the argument would be "Oh well he only got it due to be a former Oilers son, should have spent more time in minors"

Marincin was a mistake letting go tho, hes doing good in Toronto and a great depth piece. But I doubt any move was made with Simpson in mind. Every much less so because its Chiarelli making said moves (aka not an Old boys club member). Some Oil fans are so paranoid about OBC and their sons jesus haha.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

As long as Simpson earns his NHL spot by being the best, it's nothing but good. It could be someone other than Simpson though. Jones, Mantha, ...

And the reason we'd even want to use a prospect now is because we're cap focused, and don't want to commit to UFA D at this time. We could still add someone, but might not use any space until Drai is signed. Using a prospect in this short span that Sekera is injured could be the right move either way though. Other teams also look for opportunities like this to try a prospect. Prospects could be just as good as a spare part vet out there, and there's an added benefit that you could find a gem who costs very little cap space.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
As long as Simpson earns his NHL spot by being the best, it's nothing but good. It could be someone other than Simpson though. Jones, Mantha, ...

And the reason we'd even want to use a prospect now is because we're cap focused, and don't want to commit to UFA D at this time. We could still add someone, but might not use any space until Drai is signed. Using a prospect in this short span that Sekera is injured could be the right move either way though. Other teams also look for opportunities like this to try a prospect. Prospects could be just as good as a spare part vet out there, and there's an added benefit that you could find a gem who costs very little cap space.

I forgot about Mantha. There's enough darts to throw at the board. You"d think one will stick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I forgot about Mantha. There's enough darts to throw at the board. You"d think one will stick.

Agreed. Jones/Bear/Mantha represent some of the top CHL D this year- weve seen some top CHL D make the jump straight to NHL as a rookie and do well. Paigin is a pro player whos done well in KHL vs men and a strong dark house candidate

Also wouldnt sleep on Berglund in next 2 years, hes a super sleeper.

Overall we got a good group of emerging D prospects and one could really emerge strong out of relative no where (ala Marincin)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gryba

I'm hoping Bear comes in and really shocks everyone, and grabs that 3rd pairing, right-side spot. I know it's far-fetched, but I really do see SOOO much potential in him. He has a fantastic shot, he has great vision, a great breakout pass, and his defensive play goes unheralded but is quite good for his age (can still improve, of course). In all likelihood he starts in the AHL, but I'm really hoping he's with the big club before long. To be honest, I think Oiler brass are expecting big things from him, too -- maybe not this year, but eventually. Just a strong gut feeling I have from a few little things said here and there. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I'm usually on the money with young Dmen. I said Klef would be a #1 years ago. I said Larsson was a great defensive D, and that it was a great trade right from my very first post about it. Was right about Nurse and how he would take some time to develop, and have some defensive issues early, and his offense would probably not translate very easily from the OHL to the NHL (though he's still early, and I think he can be a 2nd pairing guy -- but people thinking he'll be a first pairing are out to lunch, and I always said they were since we drafted him). Sekera was by far my first choice as a UFA Dman signing that summer he was available, and I think he's been great, after a bit of a shaky start. Benning surprised me, but I never got to see him play before he made it with the big club. Anyway, just remember what I said about Bear, and don't be shocked if they give him a boost and give him a shot with the big team. This kid has so much gusto and confidence that you can't ruin his development, so they can pretty much do what they want; he's eventually going to turn into a 2nd pairing, PP QB Dman, in the mold of a Shattenkirk but MUCH more feisty and phsyical, and better defensively. That will probably take about as much time as Klefbom took -- so about 3 years. He's a stud. Mantha is another guy to look out for. He's older and has a more developed defensive game than most of our other Dmen prospects (except the guys already in the AHL, of course). He has great size and moves well. Probably won't ever be a big points producer, but I could see him being a very solid 3rd pairing guy that you can trust defensively, and not be stressed when he's on the ice; he's also a righty, which is nice (same with Bear).

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Genuinely curious how many AHL games you've watched? Are you saying he hasnt shown much because maybe you just dont watch AHL games and his AHL stat totals dont jump off the page?

Seems like the argument against is "Well he hasnt made NHL so he hasnt shown much!" yet if he did make the NHL the argument would be "Oh well he only got it due to be a former Oilers son, should have spent more time in minors"

Marincin was a mistake letting go tho, hes doing good in Toronto and a great depth piece. But I doubt any move was made with Simpson in mind. Every much less so because its Chiarelli making said moves (aka not an Old boys club member). Some Oil fans are so paranoid about OBC and their sons jesus haha.

OBC is real on many teams. But for the Oilers it has been a big part of their 10 years of darkness.

I've actually watched a lot of AHL games... in seasons past... None this last year. But following the snippets/reports that I have from last year. Reinhart had a good year, ditto Fayne... can't say I heard enough chatter/hype about Simpson and in my previous viewings is that he does everything average at the AHL level.

Extremely hard to imagine a guy who is average or above average in the AHL ever being an NHL level player.

I think of a guy like Taylor Fedun and how good he looked even after his terrible accident and I think how Simpson will likely never be Taylor Fedun level good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad