Dillon Dube upside

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I think his upside is similar to Brad Marchand.

He won't have the snarl of Marchand and it's unlikely he'd find himself in a situation as fortuitous as Marchand with respect to his linemates - Bergeron and Pastrnak ..but when I just project the skill level, potential and game I think his upside is very similar to Marchand.

I know this is likely controversial to most....and I could water down his potential but then it wouldn't be what I believe.

It's important to remember on a lot of teams Marchand may just get 65-70 points and be a heckuva player, but on that line he's like a 90-100 pt player.

I can't guesstimate Dube's career results, but I see a first line winger quality (82-28-34-66) type upside and potentially more production depending on the chemistry and pedigree of his linemates.

I think when it's all said and done Dube will prove to be a smidge better then Mangiapane.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He’s gonna be a beast, similar to Lindholm IMO. And that’s not a hot take, I’ve been uber high on this kid for two years now.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
He's a goal scorer, and a scrappy one at that. I don't think the Marchand comparison is out of place, as long as it's about play style, not projected outputs. No one can predict that Dube will put up 100 points... no one can even predict that he'll be a 70 point guy either. But he's a scrappy guy. He fights hard for pucks and he's not afraid to get into it with any player. He's also got that goal scorer's touch, and depending on his linemates, I can definitely see him being a 20 goal or more players several times in his career.

I think playing with Derek Ryan has been good for his development because Ryan is such a smart player and that's bound to rub off on Dube. Would like to see how he gels with a more skilled passing center though.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Second line 30 goal/60 pts scorer. His offensive skills are not that high. 95% of NHLers will never become Marchant so dont take it too badly.

BTW, I think both Dube and Mangi need to be solid top 6 for the Flames to compete. I think they can do it in a couple years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He has solid upside.
Dunno. I don't think he's like a true blue first liner, but I see him as a 50-60 point 2nd line player in his prime years.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dube's got 60 pt potential. But he reminds me of Bennett. He's a lot more raw than we think

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's still got a lot of work to do but I see his game maturing pretty well.

Personally would say he'll be more in the 50-60 pt range than a true top line player but in the right offense he could take off. Still want to see more of him at center.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

He won't have the snarl of Marchand and it's unlikely he'd find himself in a situation as fortuitous as Marchand with respect to his linemates - Bergeron and Pastrnak ..but when I just project the skill level, potential and game I think his upside is very similar to Marchand.

I know this is likely controversial to most....and I could water down his potential but then it wouldn't be what I believe.

It's important to remember on a lot of teams Marchand may just get 65-70 points and be a heckuva player, but on that line he's like a 90-100 pt player.

I can't guesstimate Dube's career results, but I see a first line winger quality (82-28-34-66) type upside and potentially more production depending on the chemistry and pedigree of his linemates.

I think when it's all said and done Dube will prove to be a smidge better then Mangiapane.
Mangiapane's upside (and game without the shenanigans) is more similar to Marchand than Dube's. To me Dube reminds me of a Dougie Gilmour. Both are 5'11" but Dillon is 10 lbs. heavier.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Let's not forget that Dube is a natural C. He's a gamer and is giving it his all to play RW, but I'd really like it if they gave him a go at C. I think he'd score more from that position.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Dube's got 60 pt potential. But he reminds me of Bennett. He's a lot more raw than we think

Watching Dube play and he thinks the game way better than Bennett ever has, I also think he has a better shot and uses his line-mates infinitely better than Bennett. The two of them should be on a line together though, both fast who work well off each other, but we rarely see them together.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

It's interesting to go back and see what people thought two seasons ago. If the lines from camp are anything to go by, it looks like Dube will be playing with Backlund again. Mangi could start the season on the top line with Johnny and Mony.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
lFBgeXT.jpg

Also Kylington really needs to get some games early on

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think based on what Dube has shown in his junior and AHL career, his low-end should a least be a 50-point player, possibly as early as this year.

I'd peg his top-end upside at about 65-points. But you take a look at these really hard-working, driven types like a Marchand, like a Mark Stone, like a Yanni Gourde, no one would have projected they would become what they have become, so maybe more?

He's the Flames prospect I've been highest on in a while, higher than Mangi, higher than Zary/Pelletier/Coronato. Most promising since Johnny*.

edit: *forgot Tkachuk was post-Johnny

Last edited:

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
For the record, I still agree with my original assessment.

I do think this is a big year for Dube's growth/breakout.

I don't think everyone will benefit with personal statistics under Darryls defense first mindset, but I expect Dube to grow in his every situation importance on the Flames this year

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad