Post-Game Talk: Didnt play a full 60 minutes, and ran into Loungo. Leafs lose in SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Our division really is garbage this year after Tampa. I'm pretty confident we'll make the playoffs even if we're not playing that great.

-Montreal a dumpster fire
-Buffalo still a bottom feeder even with Eichel
-Florida not a very good team
-Boston a one line team very mediocre
-Detroit going no where
-Ottawa hot and cold team like us. Boy have they been stinking up the joint since the big trade

Reactions: SAMCRO44

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Pretty sick of that long stretch pass from our own zone. 95% of the time its icing. This team can be so frustrating at times

When it comes to puck support and puck management, we're definitely one of the worst teams in the league in these areas.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
I find it weird that this team can be tied for third in the league and I'm still not happy with it. Expectations are dumb.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I find it weird that this team can be tied for third in the league and I'm still not happy with it. Expectations are dumb.

It is weird.

You know what it is? Teams are prepared for us this year. They do that 4 guys in the neutral zone thing and we somehow have no idea how to enter the O zone other than dumping and chasing, which the other team is usually much better at.

And we can't clear our own zone no matter what, yet they can clear theirs no problem because the puck is bouncing around like crazy for the Leafs like the puck is a grenade.....

That's what games look like to me as a Leafs fan.

Also the other teams don't let us set up for a powerplay, they actually make us make quick decisions which result in turnovers but we don't bother doing that to them, let em set up our goalie will stop it (and he does)

If they would just let the Leafs skate like the wind and make awesome plays it would be so fun to watch you know?

:(

I don't understand why we can't do a little trapping ourselves and turn it against our foes somehow.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I forgot to mention that I'll take that point no problem.

Thought Florida looked pretty good tonight defensively. They were pretty tight for the first two periods then it went to hell yet Leafs couldn't get high danger shots going off.

Florida should have lit us up really, yet they didnt' at all.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Wouldn't mind losses nearly as much if they played 60 mins, but when only show up for half the game, it's frustrating. I don't know why they're so unmotivated for big portions of games. I don't remember it being this bad last year..

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The 3rd period was something else. We just kept coming and dominated.

Honestly luongo had a fabulous game. The Florida team D was strong too.

I feel like Luo stole this one from us. But a points ok. Onward to the next southern team with a tiny fanbase. Heh.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I would do decimals. You can’t mess with hockey history. Teams would have 150 pt seasons

2 for reg win
1.5 for shootout/ot win
.5 for shootout. Ot loss

Why do we accept that games can end in a tie and that it is deserving of a point?

Games can be played till someone scores. This 3 on 3 OT will result in a winner. We then have a winner and a loser. Like Baseball.

Giving a reward for tying the game means that teams will play to not lose.

It's why we have the trap and the game is painful to watch at times.

Remove the incentive and the behaviour changes.

Reactions: dsred and Brown Dog

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
3 on 3 OT is so much fun that the shootout has gone from stupid gimmick to anti-climactic, boring, stupid gimmick.

Reactions: Pookie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
590 just said that was the most minutes Matthews has ever played in his career,

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Started slowly and got into a grove as the game went along.

Thought they kind of let off the gas after the tied it up.

Nylander came alive, no luck but started skating and carrying the puck.

Luongo was the best player for Panthers, only made one beat him, and posts mean he didn't get beat otherwise it would be net.

Disappointed in the result and the late arrival but whatever it's a point.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
590 just said that was the most minutes Matthews has ever played in his career,
Being matched up against Barkov and his league leading TOI for forwards will do that. I would love to see Matthews consistently up around 20 min/gp.
That line looked so good last night, and we forget they were matched up against Barkov, who is a great two-way C (probably one of the best in the league).

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You've got Nylander, Kadri and JVR on the bench, and Babcock sends out Bozak. And you wonder why our shootout record was bad as **** last year. **** Babcock

:facepalm:
Marner, Bozak and Marleau have the best shootout records on our team...

babcock with another coaching gem. Freddy was good but continues to be the worst shootout goalie in the league.

Freddy stopped half the attempts, you can't ask for more than that...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Being matched up against Barkov and his league leading TOI for forwards will do that. I would love to see Matthews consistently up around 20 min/gp.
That line looked so good last night, and we forget they were matched up against Barkov, who is a great two-way C (probably one of the best in the league).
That's a good point in terms of match up. Poulin made a interesting comment about Marner last night, saying he was more in attack mode than he's seen recently. He looked really good in transition to me, quick outs and blowing through the neutral zone. Fun to watch.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
They can step up their game all they want, there is no excuse to be losing to the 31sy and 27th ranked team, NONE, Thankfully the Oilers and Caps did us a bit of a favour tonight so it isn't as bad as it could have been but it is still not acceptable to be losing to bottom of the barrel teams

So when the Leafs finished dead last 2 seasons ago, they should not have won any games?

Have you been watching sports long? The unexpected result happens pretty much every night.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
That's a good point in terms of match up. Poulin made a interesting comment about Marner last night, saying he was more in attack mode than he's seen recently. He looked really good in transition to me, quick outs and blowing through the neutral zone. Fun to watch.
Agreed about Marner. He finally has someone on the attack who is parallel to him on the play and not 2 steps behind. He can explode through the neutral zone and not be crossing the blueline in a 1 on 2 or 3 scenario. Having Matthews parallel to him on the attack also keeps the D honest as they can't give Matthews any extra space especially with Marner's passing ability. THis creates more space for Mitch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed about Marner. He finally has someone on the attack who is parallel to him on the play and not 2 steps behind. He can explode through the neutral zone and not be crossing the blueline in a 1 on 2 or 3 scenario. Having Matthews parallel to him on the attack also keeps the D honest as they can't give Matthews any extra space especially with Marner's passing ability. THis creates more space for Mitch.
Been saying this since last year, Marner needs to play at speed to be effective and Matthews is the perfect match for that. Pulling up at the blueline waiting for JVR and Bozak to catch up became too predictable.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Thought first 2 periods were pretty even, then we dominated the 3rd.

Played well enough for 2 points, got 1, it happens.

Thought Rielly was flying out there. Could've had a hattrick this game but ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad