Did you watch NHL All-Star events?

Did watch the All-Star game or any skill events?

• Total voters

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't even know when or what channel the game was on or any other event. I completely omitted it from my weekend. It's not just about the Sabres souring my interest in the NHL, but the pick-up pond hockey atmosphere around the game and skills comps just don't interest me anymore. It's like being at the frozen lake with my buddies to goof off for an hour or so, except having to sit on the side and watch. No interest. Just curious about the rest of us.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
No, I didn't watch any of it. My interest in hockey in pretty low at the moment. I'll pop in here from time to time to see how the prospects are doing, but that's about it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I didn't watch a full game, but I watched partial games. 3 on 3 is too boring with guys of this skill level.

Nowadays, being an All-Star may as well just be something the players vote on at the end of the year. No game, or any amount of money is necessary to play, because the players will not put forth the effort to be any sort of entertaining out of fear of injuring themselves because it's too important for them, for their teams, and for their careers to stay as healthy as possible, especially DURING the season.

Also, hockey players in general are trained too hard to allow any sort of personality shine through, to risk embarrassing the game it seems.

I Missed the skills competition.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I watched some of the games. I will say, the NHL all star game is miles better than the NFL all star game. I sort of like the 3 on 3 tourney, and watching NHL players play pick-up hockey is really interesting to me. I play a lot of pick up, so it's cool to see NHL players unlock another level of creativity due to the lack of aggression in the game. I also like to see how easy and routine they make plays look compared to how difficult we Joe Schmoes make it look.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I understand the Leaf laden squad won the tournament. As there is no body checking and very little if any back checking the more experienced Leaf team with such a head start was a shoo in.....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't watched since I was little and even then it was hard to find on a local station - usually watched it on CBC or even SRC if it was on there. But since the early '80's... not my thing.

rylt

Nov 16, 2014
Basically checked just the fastest skater thing next day on replay

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I watched some of the Skills Competition. Last actual All Star Game I watched was the John Scott game.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Not even a second. My interest in NHL hockey in general has waned significantly. I find myself following the Blackhawks due to proximity more than anything lately.

I was never into the All-Star game to begin with, but with Buffalo being a flagging franchise for the last 13-14 years, I have even less interest now.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I turned on the 'games'. They said there was a 2 goal comeback with 37 secs in a game and it was in overtime. Realized that I didn't care at all to watch half ass'd pond hockey and turned it off. Haven't watched a skills comp since they started dressing up and taking selfies. In fact the last time I really cared about an all star game legendary goalies like Roy and Hasek were being forced to share the ice with overrated goalies like vanbeisbruck and brodeur.

Reactions: oldgoalie

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Haven't watched it in years. Growing up I watched it every year .Even when they did that weird NA vs World set up in the late 90s. But I lost interest back in the mid to late 2000s. All Star games in any sport hold little appeal to me nowadays.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I would be interested in who the guy wearing the Sabre Dahlin jersey was at ice level always standing up a fluffing his jersey like a peacock whenever the camera was on. (Skills event.)

He made an ass of himself.

Hopefully, not a poster on this board.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
1707236459491.png

I was a spoiled Brat when it came to All Star Games when I was a kid.

The NHL Campbell v Wales was a genuine competition.

The MLB Baseball game was genuine.

Even The NBA All Star Game was interesting.

Pro Bowl never was, but so be it.

If the players don't care about the game being won then why would I?

And if you watched and were entertained, then good for you, you enjoyed something I couldn't.

And I watched literally a couple minutes before I was ompletely turned off, and shut it off. I thought nothing could be worse than the game. I was wrong.

Nuff said:

1707237226352.png

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I watched the Skills Competition in its entirety.

IMO it was excellent. The best it has been since the early 90s. They simplified the events back to the roots. They also took a specific cross section of the All Stars and had them compete in all events, but eliminating some each round who didnt make the cut.

It was great to see McDavid and others compete on all the events. It will be good moving forward with McDavid vs Bedard and others. It gave that star-studded feel we would get back when it was Bourque, Messier, Coffey, etc... I dont need to see whatever token all star Nashville, San Jose, or Buffalo had to send compete. Just give us the best of the best.

I watched some of the ASG itself.
The 3 on 3 format is tired and broken. It is now an exercise in puck possession and there really should be some sort of shot clock and/or over and back rule considered.

I would rather see a full open and fun All Star game East vs West.

Also, bring back the heroes of hockey game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad