Did you have an “I’m getting old” moment?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
For me it’s injuries. I’m at an age where a lot of pro athletes still perform highly but where it could also start to go downhill

I feel like I’m as good as I’ve ever been, but just can’t avoid and recover from injuries quick enough anymore.

Pulled my groin about a month ago and it’s having a tough time healing, i thought I was good but reaggrevated and feel like I’m back at square one. This is while I’m dealing with other more minor lingering injuries.

Shits depressing. I was able to play 4-5 times a week on top of other sports like baseballs and golf in my early 20’s but those days seem over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
For me it’s injuries. I’m at an age where a lot of pro athletes still perform highly but where it could also start to go downhill

I feel like I’m as good as I’ve ever been, but just can’t avoid and recover from injuries quick enough anymore.

Pulled my groin about a month ago and it’s having a tough time healing, i thought I was good but reaggrevated and feel like I’m back at square one. This is while I’m dealing with other more minor lingering injuries.

Shits depressing. I was able to play 4-5 times a week on top of other sports like baseballs and golf in my early 20’s but those days seem over.
I don’t know if you have tried it before, but some consistent basic stretching 5 or so times a week can do wonders for injury prevention. Some weightlifting (doesn’t have to be super heavy or anything, just a couple light workouts every week) can also help. Just some friendly advice, I understand you may not have the time for it.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

This may sound like depressing advice, but you can always just try easing off a bit.

I know I know - coaches have told you since you were first on skates to be battle hard, be first on the puck, etc. But from when I watch players even older than I am I see a lot more gliding. If a guy is probably going to beat me into the corner I'm more likely to just let him and position myself to respond rather than go full out to try and stop him.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
This may sound like depressing advice, but you can always just try easing off a bit.

I know I know - coaches have told you since you were first on skates to be battle hard, be first on the puck, etc. But from when I watch players even older than I am I see a lot more gliding. If a guy is probably going to beat me into the corner I'm more likely to just let him and position myself to respond rather than go full out to try and stop him.
I've done this with pretty much everything I do. On the ice, on the slopes or in the gym I pick and chose when and where to go harder.

I broke 8 bones snowboarding between 21 and 25 years old. 0 in the last 20.

I also made it a rule to stop once I have to strain while lifting. Lots of reps - low weights. It's more enjoyable for me at this point.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I played goal. The only way I could play well was if a could manufacturer a competitive fire in myself before I stepped on the ice.

As I got closer to 40 and beyond that fire was more and more difficult to manufacture.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Fook that. I am 55 and I skate in every game when I play, when I practice with my U16 team, pickleball, one on one basketball with my kid....I play at 100%.

But, play smart, stretch well, hydrate and make sure you put your body in the best chance to succeed.

I mean maybe we're talking about the same thing when you say "play smart". I've certainly seen guys even on my own team who hardly ever backcheck which is not what I'm talking about. I always hustle back.

More just pick your spots when it comes to potential injuries. And if that means giving up on the occasional puck in the corner so be it. Or honestly, I don't try to black shots (of course I can also use the excuse I don't want to screen my goalie, but I also don't want to take a slapshot either).

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I was feeling it in my late 30s. Had a wake up call a 40. It was a significant but not immediately life threatening condition that did a number on my body. Thought I might be done. But I wasn't, it was just the start. Recovery took some time, but I'm 50 now. I'm probably in the best shape I've been in since I was in my early 20s

It started with eating better. I don't deprive myself, but the days of having pizza and Chunky Soup for dinner almost every night are over. When I eat fast food and the like, it's a decision not the default.

Next was stretching. All the nagging aches and pains that were bugging me in my late 30s were simply addressed or kept in check by stretching regularly, not just for games. No more back spasms. No more carpal. No more shoulder and neck pain. No more sciatic pain. Etc. At it's worst, I could barely bend over far enough to wipe my own ass. Now, if I get nice and warmed up, I can almost touch my head to my knee.

Next thing was cardio. I run at least 2-3 times a week for 30-40 mintues. During covid, I was running 5 or 6. I time it with other stuff hockey and baseball so I'm exercising at least every other day. Lost about 25 lbs. Now when I play hockey, I can play 3 games in one day, and wake up the next day fine. In the dressing rooms, I hear guys 10-15 years younger than me groaning and complaining about this and that, and all I can think is you can do something about it. Obviously, at my age, I'm not as explosive as I was when I was younger, but I can still go hard. I can't even remember the last time I pulled something from hockey.

And lastly, I now know when to take a rest. My default is 1005% all the time. But now, yes, I exercise and try to eat well, but sometimes, life piles on and catches up. So I've learned to listen to my body, and when I need it, I take a break or ease up to give my body time to recover. IMHO, knowing when to do that has kept the injury bug away. But it's a fine line, sometimes, I'm not really tired. I'm just feeling lazy. And trying to be honest with myself about it has been key. Nothing wrong with taking a lazy day, but I understand there will be health consequences if I don't get back on the horse.

I remember reading somewhere that there's a correlation between leg strength and mortality. It's not that strong legs will make you live longer. It's that strong legs means you can remain active, which is good for your heart. Strong legs also means you're less likely to to take a fall. I know it's it's kind of a joke, but for people getting older, falling and cracking a hip, can be a death sentence. Once you're immobile you health can decline rapidly. For me, reminding myself of this, keeps me on the ice and working hard, because skating is the most fun way for me to make sure I have strong legs.

Any ways, that's my story.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I just turned 40. I've always had a high tolerance when it comes to pain and playing injured, but it's not fun. The pain last longer. The decision to play through it doesn't feel as rewarding. It's a struggle hanging with the top tier levels these day as chasing 18-25 year olds around the rink is anything but fun, but once you start dropping down, those players hack and take cheap shots like crazy. I don't think I've played a game in the last 5 years where I didn't feel some pain from my back, neck, or sciatica

I started playing more Inline than Ice. But the reduced equipment has made some of the pain worse.

I try to work out around 5 times a week. I play around 3x a week these days. Stretching hurts my back so I don't do it much.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I don’t know if you have tried it before, but some consistent basic stretching 5 or so times a week can do wonders for injury prevention. Some weightlifting (doesn’t have to be super heavy or anything, just a couple light workouts every week) can also help. Just some friendly advice, I understand you may not have the time for it.
Yoga, preferably hot yoga, once a week. Great for the core, helps strengthen everything and improves balance, which also helps performance. Also very good for rehabilitation of injuries - particularly hot yoga.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Me and several buddies are all having hip issues when we play. Not enough to make us stop. But enough to remind us we are getting old.lol. Beer league change room is seeing more and more rollers and talks about it bands and such.haha

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Quit at 67 and was playing against player sometimes half my age. I need two new hips and some spine procedures. Had been playing hockey for 64 year, some at a high level. What alerted me to stop was the fact that all my life, if I colided with another player, he went down, not me. Well I was now the one going down, and started being worried about getting hurt. I had lost my leg strength, and the day after playing feeling like a cripple, and my head told me to STOP.

Six months of really missing it, now... happy to have done it. Life goes on.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My legs.

Rollerblading at age 43 was still fun.
Walking up the stairs afterwards, heck, every day these days, lacks juice.

I am now 54 pushing 55 and feel as bloody strong as ever, except for my legs. Year after year, they tell me I ain't twenty anymore.

Childhood memories of skating all day seems like a fantasy.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I stay in pretty good shape, work out 5-6 times a week. I quit hockey for good this year after playing it for 35 years straight. I just don't have the drive to go to the rink for a 10PM game...by the time I get home its 12 and I have to work in the mornings...

Also my game was never really a "rec" type game. I live for dumping and punishing defensemen can't do that anymore.

• Love

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I pulled my hamstring when I was 37. Normally I get to the rink early and stretch and get a good warmup in but I was running late that night and got on the ice as the game was starting. I did a few stretches on the bench but on one of my first shifts I tried legging the puck out of the zone and felt it pop. Rude awakening.

Also, my conditioning is just nowhere near what it used to be. I used to be able to play center and skate up and down the ice with no real difficulty even if we just had 8 or 9 guys. Now if I take a long shift I feel like I need oxygen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad