Post-Game Talk: Did we play tonight?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Therrien has developed Subban into a two-way defenceman and took away almost all of his gifted offensive ability, and left him with an inaccurate heavy slap shot and an occasional spin at the blue line. Where's the dynamic puck carrying d-man we first saw break into the league? Offensive d-men like Karlsson, Burns and Byfuglien have the green light to support the attack and join the rush, will mistakes come? Sure, but so would more chances to score as well. I do think Therrien has done well with Subban's defensive game but PK's creativity has been diminishing with every passing season. It's so frustrating knowing the amazing game breaking skill PK has but we only get to see 30% of it, in fear he'll make a couple mistakes.

Therrien is responsible for Subban inaccurate shot? Did I read this right?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to last night's DM show, this gem from their panel:

How many Habs players would make the Stars lineup right now? Answer: 4-5

How many Stars' players would make the Habs' lineup right now? Answer: 20

:popcorn:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
That team was 30th in shots and out of a playoff spot when he was fired. There's absolutely no way that any competent coach would guide that roster so badly... with or without those new additions. MT was terrible with them.

Funny part though is that people used the fact that the great Bylsma came in and save the day and won the cup despite Therrien,s destructive coaching. So there was the proof that Therrien was a bad coach....Bylsma won. But then...what else after? What did the great Bylsma do? He had a great team and totally failed to perform after. In the end, Therrien was just 2 games away from winning the Cup. But somehow...he had to go? I guess he did, yet, Bylsma probably failed more than he did despite winning a cup....

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
Tough game, but from my perspective last night was one of only a few games all year where we didn't play well so far. I'm definitely not as worried as almost everyone here from the reactions I've been reading. The break should do everyone some good.

Lol you guys are so cute thinking Tinordi will play. Unless Petry and someone else aren't available for next game, Tinordi stays in the press box.

He's gone 100% at the deadline.

I actually agree with you and think this is what will happen but I just don't understand the logic behind this from management's point-of-view. How much value can a guy who hasn't played all year, and who never really showed much at the NHL level to begin with, possibly have? Especially if they consider him to be so bad that they can't possibly play him for a single game even during a slump. What does that say to other teams?

I'm far from a Tinordi fan, but the way he's been handled this season (so far anyway) baffles me. I'd be interested to see what he can do for a few games, you know he'd be real motivated at least while you have a full roster of players struggling to get motivated right now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Funny part though is that people used the fact that the great Bylsma came in and save the day and won the cup despite Therrien,s destructive coaching. So there was the proof that Therrien was a bad coach....Bylsma won. But then...what else after? What did the great Bylsma do? He had a great team and totally failed to perform after. In the end, Therrien was just 2 games away from winning the Cup. But somehow...he had to go? I guess he did, yet, Bylsma probably failed more than he did despite winning a cup....

Bylsma won the cup. The following season, Pens did well but Halak happened in the POs. He was phenomenal during that stretch. After that, Crosby played 99 regular season games over the next 3 years..Malkin also hasn't had a healthy season since winning the cup.
So ya, that happened. Not to mention their defense has always been an issue.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Bylsma won the cup. The following season, Pens did well but Halak happened in the POs. He was phenomenal during that stretch. After that, Crosby played 99 regular season games over the next 3 years..Malkin also hasn't had a healthy season since winning the cup.

There you go, can't win without his star player. Proof that Bylsma is a bad coach.

Comical how that works for other coaches.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There you go, can't win without his star player. Proof that Bylsma is a bad coach.

Comical how that works for other coaches.

No team will ever win a cup without their star players. Who ever argued that??
The Pens still remained a top team in the East under Bylsma despite injuries. I believe they always finished among the top 4 in the standings.

Right now, we have issues winning one game. I don't think Therrien should get fired for it though, I didn't see yesterday's game but generally speaking, I feel we've played well through our 2-7-1.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
If Bylsma is a horrible coach (which he could be) doesn't that hurt pro Therrien arguments? Pretty much any team would improve if Scotty Bowman took over as coach but if a bad coach takes over and it improves your team that doesn't speak well to the previous coach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
She's a fanboy dressd as a beat reporter. She NEVER says anything negative and her questions are always there to deflect the pressure.

She's more of a television personality than a reporter in the traditional sense.

She always was a soft interviewer who strives to be likeable. I remember seeing her a lot at Expos games, often in the stands interacting with fans, trying to elicit all the feel-good sound bytes she could muster.

Nothing wrong with that, but that's not who you want to see holding up a mike in a more contentious context.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And again, I guess every argument will always be about who wants to proof what. Bylsma got a MUCH needed help that Therrien didn't get with Kunitz and Guerin. Without that, Pens still lost 4-2 in the Cup finals, wasn,t ridiculized by the Wings, so you add 2 important pieces like Kunitz and Guerin and they ended up winning it. OF COURSE, like it often happen, you change coaches and you do see some rejuvenated squad. Wouldn,t be the first time it happens. But once what was build, and once the arrival of a new coach got away, with almost just as good a squad, Bylsma did squat.

So Bylsma had reasons to suck but not Therrien....okay I guess. If it seems fair to you....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If Bylsma is a horrible coach (which he could be) doesn't that hurt pro Therrien arguments? Pretty much any team would improve if Scotty Bowman took over as coach but if a bad coach takes over and it improves your team that doesn't speak well to the previous coach.

Not really. It just put the emphasis on the fact that most teams respond well to something new and the Pens had already an incredible base to work with so that the "responding well" meant going further than 2 games away from the Cup. Also helped by the additions of Kunitz and Guerin...should I add.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who the hell said Bylsma was great? Nobody will ever confuse him with Scotty Bowman.

As for what Byslma did, he had that team top ten in shots for and against for the next three seasons. Was that due to his coaching? Probably not, it was a stacked team. But it begs the question as to why that same team was bottom third when it was with Therrien. If freaking Bylsma can get that team top ten in both stats all this does is make MT look that much worse.

And this is not unique to the Pens btw. Therrien has a history of this with us as well. When he took over from Vigneault our numbers tanked. When he was replaced, our numbers went up. He has the remarkable distinction of representing a negative 5 point difference in possession numbers from both his predecessors and successors. To give you an idea of how bad that is, the difference between the best and worst teams is ten points. So if you've got MT as your coach, you're looking at taking a great team and making it mediocre and making a medicore team horrible.

He's done well this year though, I give him that. Overall though? He's an awful coach. Not just mediocre... flat out awful.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The Pens' 2007-2008 Cup final was pathetic to watch. It was as if their two wins were brief bursts of skill of an otherwise dead team with Detroit mauling them.

Also, Bylsma's gamble with Talbot and shutting down the ineffective Sykora might not have been done under Therrien, along with various other moves.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
And again, I guess every argument will always be about who wants to proof what. Bylsma got a MUCH needed help that Therrien didn't get with Kunitz and Guerin. Without that, Pens still lost 4-2 in the Cup finals, wasn,t ridiculized by the Wings, so you add 2 important pieces like Kunitz and Guerin and they ended up winning it. OF COURSE, like it often happen, you change coaches and you do see some rejuvenated squad. Wouldn,t be the first time it happens. But once what was build, and once the arrival of a new coach got away, with almost just as good a squad, Bylsma did squat.

So Bylsma had reasons to suck but not Therrien....okay I guess. If it seems fair to you....

Hossa.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Not really. It just put the emphasis on the fact that most teams respond well to something new and the Pens had already an incredible base to work with so that the "responding well" meant going further than 2 games away from the Cup. Also helped by the additions of Kunitz and Guerin...should I add.

This is still an argument that would be for getting rid of Therrien.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad