Speculation: Did Torts pull his goalie KNOWING Detroit tied the game and the Flyers were already eliminated?

Did Torts pull his goalie knowing Detroit tied the game?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Rumor is it was communicated to him Detroit tied the game which would automatically eliminate the Flyers. If so he is a scumbag essentially gifting the Caps a playoff berth!

Last edited:

PavelDatsyuk13DET

Jun 21, 2019
He said he didn't know but pulling your goalie with 3 minutes left is unusual. Most of the time you pull the goalie at 1:30 or so as a last resort. I don't watch enough flyers game to know if that's something he does regularly.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This is dumb. They needed to win in regulation. Period.
As soon as the Wings tied the game they were AUTOMATICALLY eliminated. They didn't NEED anything after Perron scored and he pulled the goalie AFTER this happened. So like I said if he still pulled the goalie knowingly he is a scumbag. Did you watch the video from TSN or just came in here and criticized the thread?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He said he didn't know but pulling your goalie with 3 minutes left is unusual. Most of the time you pull the goalie at 1:30 or so as a last resort. I don't watch enough flyers game to know if that's something he does regularly.
He needs a goal to go, they have scored one in 57 minutes. Totally fine with Torts and the Flyers serving their interests. The empty net goal happened on a very tight timeline for those of us following both games live in the moment.

If you don’t want to rely on someone else close out the second period against Washington a couple weeks ago.

The Wings have themselves to blame for being at home. They played 82 games and didn’t have the tiebreakers. Not real interested in this narrative over the last few days, it is a strange sour grapes in my opinion.

Lots of coaches have also moved closer to the three minute mark since Roy became a coach.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He needs a goal to go, they have scored one in 57 minutes. Totally fine with Torts and the Flyers serving their interests. The empty net goal happened on a very tight timeline for those of us following both games live in the moment.

If you don’t want to rely on someone else close out the second period against Washington a couple weeks ago.

The Wings have themselves to blame for being at home. They played 82 games and didn’t have the tiebreakers. Not real interested in this narrative over the last few days, it is a strange sour grapes in my opinion.
Yes the Wings have themselves to blame but if the Flyers were already eliminated that was unethical to gift the Caps a playoff berth when they should have had their goalie in the game..

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If he knew that we had gotten a point and stiill pulled him that’s just gutless, but I find it hard to believe that happened. I would have done it at the 3 min mark as well. I don’t see that as fishy or anything

The thing that really hurts is the disallowed goal in the 1st period due to reffing

Reactions: theYman

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Don't care.

Also don't care to watch some guy in his basement "reporting" on it.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
What did he know. And when?

Actually I think it’s silly to even care. He had his teams interests in mind. Who cares about other teams. Not his concern. As I read somewhere, if the wings were up by 3, I could see that being greasy

(The “what did he know….” Was an old half dumb joke about some kind of injury situation before. Forget what it was. Maybe the Hronek trade)

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud and izlez

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
They needed 2 goals in regulation so pulling him that early is not the issue. The issue is if he KNEW Detroit tied the game and they were already ELIMINATED why the f*** is he pulling the goalie and giving a playoff berth to the caps. The Wings shitting the bed is another topic already being discussed.

Don't care.

Also don't care to watch some guy in his basement "reporting" on it.
Umm that Gino Reda he has been a sports broadcaster on TSN for over 30 years... he isn't some guy in his basement. Good research tho.

Edit: I linked the wrong video at first.

Reactions: izlez

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
As soon as the Wings tied the game they were AUTOMATICALLY eliminated. They didn't NEED anything after Perron scored and he pulled the goalie AFTER this happened. So like I said if he still pulled the goalie knowingly he is a scumbag. Did you watch the video from TSN or just came in here and criticized the thread?
All that mattered to them was winning in regulation. You really think they are watching the Wings game (even if they need a certain outcome from it) in the middle of their must win situation going back and forth and then come to the conclusion that, hey, we are eliminated, lets screw over the Wings?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes the Wings have themselves to blame but if the Flyers were already eliminated that was unethical to gift the Caps a playoff berth when they should have had their goalie in the game..
I was watching it on my phone at the same time. Likely the command has already come down by the time he finds out. Another Wings moment, if you’re clown pounding Montreal 5-1 he also doesn’t do it. Again to me to hold Torts and the Flyers to a by the second protection of us seems a massive ask.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
THEY NEEDED A REGULATION WIN. They weren't watching the Wings game, they were trying to win their own game. Getting to OT with WSH was the end of their season regardless what Detroit did. Also, why on earth would he do it? Just to screw with his "arch nemesis Detroit Red Wings?"

Reactions: Realgud

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Umm that Gino Reda he has been a sports broadcaster on TSN for over 30 years... he isn't some guy in his basement. Good research tho.
The Jesse Blake Sports Report with Jesse Blake actually stars Gino Reda? I've got some questions about those decisions.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the link. That clears up some confusion.

I still don't care that he pulled his goalie. You go into the game telling your guys it's a must win in regulation situation. I don't think there's an expectation for you to change that on the fly to make all teams are treated fairly. You stick to your own gameplan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why would he gift another team a playoff spot, that is just an idiotic idea?!?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All that mattered to them was winning in regulation. You really think they are watching the Wings game (even if they need a certain outcome from it) in the middle of their must win situation going back and forth and then come to the conclusion that, hey, we are eliminated, lets screw over the Wings?
The replay guy will update the bench on out of town scores. Which also display in arena. While I am sure the in house score had not changed, the bench assistants were informed I would think within the minute.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
They needed 2 goals in regulation so pulling him that early is not the issue. The issue is if he KNEW Detroit tied the game and they were already ELIMINATED why the f*** is he pulling the goalie and giving a playoff berth to the caps. The Wings shitting the bed is another topic already being discussed.

Edit: I linked the wrong video at first.
Agree with this, although they only needed 1 goal not 2

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In the post game press conference Tortorella said he found out about the Wings going to OT right after the Caps scored the empty netter.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why would he gift another team a playoff spot, that is just an idiotic idea?!?
Is it? Or is it selfishness. I think he thought f*** you Detroit and Pittsburgh I don't care about you. I think he knew and was being a dick.

In the post game press conference Tortorella said he found out about the Wings going to OT right after the Caps scored the empty netter.
How convenient...

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is it? Or is it selfishness. We need two goals we have a 99.99999999999999999999% of not doing it but f*** you Detroit and Pittsburgh I don't care about you. I think he knew and was being a dick.

Why would he care even 1% about WSH getting in???????? Also yes it is a dumb thought to think he did it on purpose. It is MBH level bad!

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The replay guy will update the bench on out of town scores. Which also display in arena. While I am sure the in house score had not changed, the bench assistants were informed I would think within the minute.
Exactly. A game that directly effects his team he isn't getting to the second updates? Philadelphia was watching our game as much as we were watching theirs. How did the Wings know the caps scored immediately? Torts is full of shit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Is it? Or is it selfishness. I think he thought f*** you Detroit and Pittsburgh I don't care about you. I think he knew and was being a dick.

How convenient...

Torts is such an attention-seeking jackass, if he did it intentionally (and I still have no idea why he would), there's no way he could keep his mouth shut about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad