Did the NHLPA drop the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
think wild posts..."You are pretty sure that if Boston had kept Guerin and Allison, they would have suceeded where LA and Dal failed? They did pretty well without them for a while as I recall."

Did well in what regard? In the last 4 years, in the midst of allowing their star players to leave over salary issues, the Bruins ranked between 21st and 25th in the NHL in average home attendance. Think about that. The Boston Bruins 25th in a 30 team league in attendance in the state of the art Fleet Center. Bruin fans call them cheap. Curse them for letting those star players go and it shows in their attendance. The Red Wings and the Avalanche with $60m + payrolls never have fans complain about them being cheap and unwilling to be committed to win and never have attendance problems. I could be wrong, but didnt Dallas win the President's cup in 2002-03 with Guerin?

Thinkwild also posts, "For every team that loaded up like Det and Tor, there was a cheaper team, who didnt and had better success."
The basics of this cba have been in effect for 10 seasons. 9 of those seasons the Stanley Cup was won by a team in the top 10 in payroll. Once a team outside the top 10 won. That was this past season when it could be argued that the empending lockout caused all kinds of anomolies. Look at your poster teams. Calgary and Tampa Bay. In the last 8 seasons, those two teams made the playoffs 3 total times out of 16 chances. Detroit and Toronto never missed the playoffs in that period and Detroit won 3 cups alone. If you are going to try and argue that low budget teams can make a run at the cup, you can, but you can not argue that they can make any kind of sustained run. All of the odd teams that have made the finals in recent years, Florida, Washington, Carolina, and Anaheim missed the playoffs in the next season. Florida has not made the playoffs since. Neither has Carolina. You could make a case that Calgary could turn back into a pumpkin in the next NHL season and drop off the radar again.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
George Bachul said:
pld, you aren't getting it. Many people don't. If the Rangers give a guy $5 million or Detroit gives a guy $5 million...every comparable player in that category wants the same cash. Those teams can afford the money, so in truth aren't doing anything wrong.

Can you name one single player the Rangers or Red Wings signed that affected the market? According to the latest, the Rangers can't afford the money. They lost more money than any other team.

And with the ridiculous arbitration system, agents use the highest paid comparable to achieve the best possible award. It is an inflationary system.(You can imagine the number of guys using Marty Lapointe as a comparable for arbitration. :lol )

Zero players used Marty Lapointe as a comparable. The CBA expressly excludes unrestricted free agents from the arbitration process.

So in effect, the problem doesn't lay with Holik getting a large contract because the Rangers can afford it...it is the salary pull on every other comparable player on every other team(Especially the lower revenue stream teams) that causes the problem.

The Rangers apparently can't afford it either but it doesn't affect any other team at all. There are no players who are comparable to Bobby Holik. No player agent tries to negotiate a contract based on Bobby Holik or any other player who has achieved free agency. A comparable player is a player who is a comparable age with comparable experience and comparable production over the course of that experience. The Carolina Hurricane freely chose to pay Jeff O'Neill $3.5 million. Radek Bonk used that contract in arbitration the following season.

Since he was quite similar, he won a similar salary. The year after, Brendan Morrison tried to use those players in arbitration two years ago. He lost despite similar numbers because the other two guys had been doing it longer, because Morrison probably got more help from his linemates, because O'Neill scored more goals, and because Bonk is better defensively.

The arbitrator accepted the Canuck argument on all counts and the award came in at exactly what the Canucks had offered. This did not stop the media from trumpeting the fact that Morrison had "won" a 300% raise!

Both seemed fair to me, although Morrison probably should have done better. The Canucks knew Brendan was winning this time around and voluntarily gave him $3.5 million. I have written arbitration briefs on players for a player agent. The process is not that hard to figure out. Arbitration awards do not set new standards. They follow contracts already signed by players. O'Neill set the bar for Bonk and Morrison.

I keep hearing about these outrageous awards based on New York spending, but nobody can ever provide any good examples. I can think of exactly one awful award, and the NHL promptly - and rightly in my view - fired the arbitrator. It is usually not hard to identify comparables and I'd wager most fans would agree with the arbitration award if we could read them.

I think the process works really well. It should eliminate holdouts entirely and hasn't, only because stupid player agents haven't realized that no player has won a holdout since Sergei Fedorov.

Tom

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
When I refer to the term "no"

Seachd said:
So why now should the owners (and fans, more importantly) be punished for the players' inability to say no to the owners' offer?

You're saying one thing's right, but the same thing from the other side is wrong. Why?

It's in reference to contract negotaitions, not the current CBA.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
pld459666 said:
It's in reference to contract negotaitions, not the current CBA.
Okay, but there's still no difference.

Now, (most of) the owners are saying, "No. We don't want to continue offering these ridiculous salaries."

The players are saying, "We don't accept that. We still want the big salaries."

Now that the GMs are saying no, the players still expect yes. But they have no right to.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
txpd said:
I could not disagree with this post more.

1. the 5% roll back was a one time roll back that would have been swallowed up immediately by the automatic salary increases that are part of the current cba. If arbitration and the automatic 10% increase for players under the league average are not removed(and they are not part of this offer), that 5% roll back is back in the players pocket by the next season.

The roll back was on all salaries from now until the end of their contracts. Holik, for instance, would have his annual salary reduced from 9 million to 8.5 million. And like I said since it was an initial offer, they probably would accept a bigger reduction.

2. when you say, "I don't understand why we have to take responsibility out of the owners hads for agreeing to some of these outrageous contracts". Lets keep in mind that by and large "the owners" are 3 to 5 owners that can afford to spend the rest of the teams under the table and another 3 to 5 owners willing to take a loss to try and compete on the ice to keep his franchise value and place in the local sports market high. the rest of the owners are along for the ride. the higher salaries go the less they can afford. As this current cba has evolved the top teams aquired a constantly increasing percentage of the marquee players while the bottom teams increasingly became a collection unknown players. Last year's stanley cup finals was a promoters disaster, Inginla and 20 no names verses, St Louis & Lecavalier and 18 no names.

The 3-5 teams you are referring to are problems no doubt, but they are problems to themselves as the players they seek to obtain are 31+ year old players. Since Iginla or St. Louis or Lecavalier cannot use a Holik contract as leverage in their own negotiating I assume you are talking about the small market team like Anaheim that plopped down 10 mill a year for Karyia? Or the Islanders handing Yashin what amounts to 2 5 year contracts worth 90 million?

3. "start blaming the current situation on the players for asking for as much as they want". Nobody is saying that. However, what they are saying is that the owners should be allowed to say that they have been paying too much and need to cut back. the players are saying, "hey!! you can't do that! you offered it and you have to keep paying it with a raise every year"

And if this summer has shown you anything, it's that the owners have been saying no and the contracts that have been signed for the most part, on average, have been lower than in years past. The exception to that rule is Toronto and we'll see how that turns out. Regardless of the circumstances the owners have the ability to say no and they are negotiating responsibly for the first time in years. I applaud them for their fiscal responsibility. All they need to do now is police themselves and stop looking to forcing a system that police's themselves on the players

4. "Isn't it still the owners responsibility to run their business making sound financial decisions?". When you say that do you forget about teams like Boston say they wont pay $8.5m to Bill Guerin and $7m to Jason Allison and then get cut to pieces by their fan base for not being willing to make a commitment to winning?
Are you forgetting about lower revenue teams like Edmonton that regularly trade off their best players as they mature into arbitration eligible players because they can no longer afford the new salaries they would get? For every team like Toronto and Detroit that is loading up with all stars with big contracts at the trade deadline there are two teams that simply have to give up their franchise players for draft picks and prospects because they can't or won't pay the outragious prices.

No I don't forget about the teams like Boston, and I feel for the teams like Edmonton, but if they are going to allow the players to take the hammer out of their hands then again it's their own fault. The fact of the matter is that the owners fought to have arbitration in this system, it's backfired on them due to other small market teams like Anaheim and the Islanders for some of the contracts that they have handed out. The Rangers made their bid for the RFA in Sakic a few years ago and we remember how that worked (and in all honesty may have beet the spark to start the fire). Colorado matched (wisely I might add). But Carolina, another small market team went after Feds with an offer that paid him 28 million in one year. Based on history it seems like the small market teams are more at fault for the current situation than are the bigger market teams like NYR, DET, PHI.

5.you are in a very distinct minority that believes that offer, which increased the luxury tax threshold from $40m to $50m, was a good offer.

Again, it's an offer that is deserving of consideration and more deserving of a counter offer. God forbid the owners take it upon themselves to be responsible for overstepping a specific threshhold. It's all part of negotiating, the owners could have easily said "Hey, the last offer was 40, we need to get back to that number" But guess what? that would mean that the owners would have to come out of pocket for anything above that threshold something that they are unwilling to do. Again, it's putting responsibility off on the players when they are not the ones fully responsible for the situation the NHL is in.

There's a happy medium, but in Bettman thinks that a cap is it, then he's wrong. The owners of teams like the Rangers and Capitals and Islanders and Anaheim and Carolina and Det are going to have to say that we agree that X is a number that we cannot exceed and we will not go above that. And if they do there should be stiff penalties in place. Here's where I have a problem with the players proposal, they are looking at a nominal 5% of every dollar over 50 million as a luxury tax. I'd say that it should be dollar for dollar on anything above the threshold, whatever that number would be agreed to. It, in and of itself, would more or less act as a cap as say the Rangers were working under that system this year, based on the protion of the season that they were way over the cap, they would have had to pony up an additional 20+ million (and that's at the 50 Million threshold) Det would be at 20+ million and the Flyers would be between 15-20 million themselves. Sh!t, even the small market Devils would have had to pay some taxes.

When all was said and done the league would have had to redistribute over 100million to the smaller market teams.

So here we are, for arguments sake, the League and Players agree to a 12% rollback on all salaries saving the league an immediate 200 million, Arbitration is eliminated and UFA is brought down to 29 or 30 years of age, the Luxury Tax threshold is set at 45 million and the penalty is dollar for dollar. We go into this next season, and the league would have anywhere between 50-100 million in Luxury Tax money to be re-distributed to the teams that are struggling financially.

just an opinion, but it seems like a system that could work if only the owners would take responsibility for their failings as business owners.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not true

Seachd said:
Okay, but there's still no difference.

Now, (most of) the owners are saying, "No. We don't want to continue offering these ridiculous salaries."

The players are saying, "We don't accept that. We still want the big salaries."

Now that the GMs are saying no, the players still expect yes. But they have no right to.

And as evidenced this summer, most teams and players have agreed to contracts that were for less than last year with a very select few getting marginal raises.

Case in point, Weeks just had his best year and took a 1 million cut in salary.

Brent Burns Beard