Did the NHL just sanitize the in game experience?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If you've ever gone to a hockey game, the in game experience is one of the best parts. The crowd chants, screaming at the calls, the chirps to the opposing fans, throwing your hat after a hat trick, etc all make it the best sport to watch live. Yesterday, I received a required signature contract from the NHL/Blues which I guess goes to all season ticket holders describing the new code of conduct with some pretty hefty penalties at the end. I'm wondering how far they will go to enforce it (ie. Nashville's chant to the goalies or letting the ref know that he sucks). I'm hoping and praying they don't go overboard on these new guidelines. Foul or obscene language? Have you attended a hockey game from Pee-wee on up? This isn't golf. Are referees considered a protected class? :laugh: I hope common sense prevails.

\rant

NHL CODE OF CONDUCT

The NHL, our Member Clubs, and our Players believe that the best hockey experiences happen in environments that are inclusive, safe and respectful.

NHL fans play an important role in shaping these environments through the manner in which they support their teams and express their passion for the game. In this regard, we expect that fans also fully support the values of respect, inclusion and safety at all times through their words, actions, and interactions with other fans, arena staff, Club and event personnel, Players, Coaches and Officials while attending all NHL games and events.

Respect: Fans are expected to show respect for the game-day experience of others. This includes by refraining from foul or obscene language or behavior and any other consistent and/or pervasive conduct that could negatively impact other fans’ enjoyment of the game.

Inclusion: We are committed to ensuring that all NHL venues are inclusive and harassment-free environments for all fans. Language, gestures, behavior, clothing, signs, or other personal expressions that negatively reference or demean a specific race, ethnicity, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability status, or other identity-based characteristic will not be tolerated. Such conduct is strictly prohibited regardless of whether it directly or indirectly references a particular individual or a group of individuals.

Safety: The physical well-being of fans, Players, and arena staff is a top priority. Any disruptive, irresponsible, and/or illegal behaviors that threaten the physical well-being of others are forbidden. This includes participating in or instigating altercations (physical or verbal), throwing objects, or engaging in other inappropriate or destructive behaviors by reason of intoxication, chemical impairment, or otherwise.

Empowerment: If you experience or witness a violation of this Policy, we encourage you to promptly contact and advise a member of the guest services team or security personnel on-site at the event in question. NHL fans themselves are often the ones who are best positioned to foster, create and maintain respectful, inclusive and safe environments. If fans “see something,” they should “say something.”

Anyone who is determined to have engaged in conduct contrary to the values of the League, its Member Clubs and/or its Players, and which otherwise violates this Policy, will be subject to penalties including, but not limited to: possible seat relocation, ejection, suspension and/or a lifetime ban from future NHL events.

This Code applies at NHL arenas and all associated team premises, both indoors and outdoors, as well as at all League and/or Club sanctioned events.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If you've ever gone to a hockey game, the in game experience is one of the best parts. The crowd chants, screaming at the calls, the chirps to the opposing fans, throwing your hat after a hat trick, etc all make it the best sport to watch live. Yesterday, I received a required signature contract from the NHL/Blues which I guess goes to all season ticket holders describing the new code of conduct with some pretty hefty penalties at the end. I'm wondering how far they will go to enforce it (ie. Nashville's chant to the goalies or letting the ref know that he sucks). I'm hoping and praying they don't go overboard on these new guidelines. Foul or obscene language? Have you attended a hockey game from Pee-wee on up? This isn't golf. Are referees considered a protected class? :laugh: I hope common sense prevails.

\rant
You're reading way too far into this.

This is targeting people who go out to hockey games to get drunk, scream obscenities and/or racist/sexist/ect slurs, fall over/on top of other adults and children because they are overly intoxicated and making games completely unfun or unsafe to be at.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Most of this stuff has always been the case.

I am curious why you think the Nashville chant, for instance, would be implicated by this.

Reactions: tfriede2

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It hasn't been acceptable to hurl slurs, fight, make threats, throw shit, etc at sporting events for a while. That is the type of stuff this code of conduct seeks to keep out of arenas.

No one in the league gives a shit if the fans are chanting 'ref you suck.' What they don't want is drunk fans telling 9 year olds to go f*** themselves. Or players being the target of slurs. Or fans throwing crap on the ice when they don't like a call. Or fights in the stands. Or specific threats.

Essentially, they don't want people to go to a game and be a gaping asshole that makes the experience worse for everyone around tham.

You're trying to turn a small pebble into Mt Everest here.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Anyone who is worried about the stuff they are outlining to prevent ruining their fun needs to be prevented from going to the game? I want to go further. Send a email out "We have a policy that says you can't be racist or threaten the safety of other fans. Pleae let us know if you have any concerns." Anyone with any concerns should get back "Thank you for your feedback. Please don't attend our games".

Reactions: rumrokh

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
It hasn't been acceptable to hurl slurs, fight, make threats, throw shit, etc at sporting events for a while. That is the type of stuff this code of conduct seeks to keep out of arenas.

No one in the league gives a shit if the fans are chanting 'ref you suck.' What they don't want is drunk fans telling 9 year olds to go f*** themselves. Or players being the target of slurs. Or fans throwing crap on the ice when they don't like a call. Or fights in the stands. Or specific threats.

Essentially, they don't want people to go to a game and be a gaping asshole that makes the experience worse for everyone around tham.

You're trying to turn a small pebble into Mt Everest here.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Most of this stuff has always been the case.

I am curious why you think the Nashville chant, for instance, would be implicated by this.
@Goalie "XXXXX....You SUCK!" Who knows who that would offend and would complain. Don't take away from the general fun of the game. Granted, kids probably hear much worse at home and in school, but there are people who like to make a statement by being offended.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
@Goalie "XXXXX....You SUCK!" Who knows who that would offend and would complain. Don't take away from the general fun of the game. Granted, kids probably hear much worse at home and in school, but there are people who like to make a statement by being offended.
Right, so which part of the code of conduct would that violate?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Right, so which part of the code of conduct would that violate?
I kind of see where he is coming from, that could conceivably violate:
Respect: Fans are expected to show respect for the game-day experience of others. This includes by refraining from foul or obscene language or behavior and any other consistent and/or pervasive conduct that could negatively impact other fans’ enjoyment of the game.

there are people who complain about that kind of stuff, common sense be damned, and you can always wind up with an employee on a power trip who is also lacking in common sense

Reactions: 67Blues

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I kind of see where he is coming from, that could conceivably violate:

there are people who complain about that kind of stuff, common sense be damned, and you can always wind up with an employee on a power trip who is also lacking in common sense
Yes, if you do the goalie chant the entire game, then sure, maybe. Admittedly you would probably deserve it.

You could do the same thing, I'm sure, with the ticket license that came on the back of every ticket. At the end of the day, the team can kick you out for any reason whatsoever and there's nothing you can do about it.

These things are written broadly, so you can complain about anything. What if someone doesn't like that you're sitting down the whole game? That's consistent conduct and then your whole scenario of random person complains and random employee does something stupid kicks in, as if that employee couldn't just have kicked you out for anything anyway.

Reactions: rumrokh

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Yes, if you do the goalie chant the entire game, then sure, maybe. Admittedly you would probably deserve it.

You could do the same thing, I'm sure, with the ticket license that came on the back of every ticket. At the end of the day, the team can kick you out for any reason whatsoever and there's nothing you can do about it.

These things are written broadly, so you can complain about anything. What if someone doesn't like that you're sitting down the whole game? That's consistent conduct and then your whole scenario of random person complains and random employee does something stupid kicks in, as if that employee couldn't just have kicked you out for anything anyway.
I agree, I just could see where he was coming from
I think this just standard CYA lawyerese
the lawyers on retainer or directly employed have to do something to earn their money :)

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'll give you a real life example. Sitting in our seats at a Blues - Blackhawks game. A Hawk fan is down there in the entrance way and from up above in the 3xx section an aluminum beer bottle comes down and cracks this guy in the head. Of course, I see it out of the corner of my eye and watch it all the way down. Guy turns around and starts screaming that I threw it because I was looking at him. Luckily, we've had the same usher for years who knows that I can't drink alcohol (for medical reasons) and I only have a bottle of water each game. So she basically stuck up for me until finally security removed the guy because by this point he was trying to come up to drop the gloves. Now if our usher hadn't been there, what would have happened as this guy swore I threw it or if he would have come up to my seats and started a fight. I've got over $8k in my seats and I sure don't want to lose them.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Is the OP really crying because the Blues said "Hey yo, do't use racial and or other slurs".
Seriously? That is really presumptuous of you and I am now offended, my enjoyment of the board is ruined and I will report you to the board moderators to demand you are banned (see how that could work ;)).

Reactions: Xerloris

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'll give you a real life example. Sitting in our seats at a Blues - Blackhawks game. A Hawk fan is down there in the entrance way and from up above in the 3xx section an aluminum beer bottle comes down and cracks this guy in the head. Of course, I see it out of the corner of my eye and watch it all the way down. Guy turns around and starts screaming that I threw it because I was looking at him. Luckily, we've had the same usher for years who knows that I can't drink alcohol (for medical reasons) and I only have a bottle of water each game. So she basically stuck up for me until finally security removed the guy because by this point he was trying to come up to drop the gloves. Now if our usher hadn't been there, what would have happened as this guy swore I threw it or if he would have come up to my seats and started a fight. I've got over $8k in my seats and I sure don't want to lose them.

Seriously? That is really presumptuous of you and I am now offended, my enjoyment of the board is ruined and I will report you to the board moderators to demand you are banned (see how that could work ;)).

Go for it. They won't ban him. See how that works. You were falsely accused but nothing happened. You are worried about false allegations or unreasonable complaints. Nothing in this policy makes that more likely Also false allegations were not at all the point of your initial post, it was will they stop the fun things you like about the game. you said nothing about false allegations or being unreasonably offended. Tell me something, who was more aggreived: you who got falsely accused for like 10 seconds or the guy who got hit in the head by a friggin bottle?

Have you been to a sporting event in other cities? The fans can be awful to opposing fans or even their own fans. Its good the NHL is saying that is not allowed. Its not hockey, but I went to a baseball game in Tampa. My buddy was a Yankee fan, and got tickets. I tagged along. I hate the Yankees, and was planning on rooting for the Rays. But there were 2 rays fans in front of us, and a very small guy who was a yankees fan in front of them. They heckled him mercilessly and very threateningly. He was visibly shaking. I became the biggest Yankee fan in the world right then and there. I cheered as loud as I could right in the bullies' ears. I did everything I could to distract them from the other guy. Every time they said something to the other guy, I said, "hey yo", grabbed my buddies hat, put it on,"you got something to say about the yankees". I'm 6'6" 275 lbs. They didn't have anything to say. They moved seats by the 7th inning. i don't care what team you root for. You should NOT get threatened to the point you are physically shaking from fear. Teams need to stop that. Its bad for the game. If a few people get falsely accused on the way, oh well, it'll get sorted eventually.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

What is this supposed to be an example of? How does this intersect with the policy?

• Love
Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Nothing about this policy makes it more likely that you would have lost your season tickets. If they had deemed you at fault for chucking a beer at an opposing fan, they could have terminated your season tickets last year. And the year before. And the year before. This policy is not creating new avenues for the team to terminate ticket agreements.

You have been agreeing to this stuff for years, you just haven't noticed it because no one reads the things they agree to. Here is the relevant language from the 2021/22 season ticket policy (I use this one because that was my first year having season tickets. I can say with full confidence that the 2021/22 season wasn't the first time legal put this language into the agreement):

6) The St. Louis Blues reserve the right, with or without providing any refunds, to revoke purchaser's ticket(s), refuse admission to or eject from Enterprise Center any person who: (i) is or appears to be impaired; (ii) conceals alcohol, illegal substances or other prohibited items while attempting to enter Enterprise Center; (iii) acts in a manner that is unruly, disruptive or illegal; (iv) uses derogatory, foul and/or abusive language and/or gestures; (v) displays and/or wears and fails to cover obscene, indecent and/or inappropriate clothing; (vi) exposes him/herself; or (vii) otherwise violates Enterprise Center's policies, rules, requirements, directives, or regulations.

The Blues' legal counsel was absolutely not letting season ticket holders redline portions of this agreement during the season ticket holder purchase process. If a potential purchaser tried to cross out the team's ability to respond to shitty behavior, the team wasn't going to sell them a season ticket package.

There is nothing new here beyond the NHL making an effort to make it front and center that they don't want people acting like asshats at NHL games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This feels like a response to what happened in the recent NFL game, with the inclusion part being in response to the poor handling of the PRIDE jerseys last season. I don't think any rules or enforcement has actually changed, probably just more fomalized and transparent.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This feels like a response to what happened in the recent NFL game, with the inclusion part being in response to the poor handling of the PRIDE jerseys last season. I don't think any rules or enforcement has actually changed, probably just more fomalized and transparent.
What poor handling of pride jerseys?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What poor handling of pride jerseys?
Not having a clear/single league wide vision and implementation. I don't fully care what they do like others, but consistency is key, and they lacked that. I think this helps in that aspect.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Not having a clear/single league wide vision and implementation. I don't fully care what they do like others, but consistency is key, and they lacked that. I think this helps in that aspect.

I think if they're not ok with people making a choice for themselves then they should choose not to have it at all.

battra

Oct 24, 2017
I think if they're not ok with people making a choice for themselves then they should choose not to have it at all.
yeah, company dress codes should only exist if you can choose not to participate.

Am I right?

?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad