Did the lack of a good centre shape Kessel's development?

Ace88*

When he was in Boston, we saw a quite different Kessel than the one we see today. He was all about scoring goals using his shot from certain spots and off the rush being fed by Savard.

Fast forward to Kessel's 2nd year in Toronto. We started to see him make more and more things happen by himself--almost a "**** it, ill do it myself if no one else can" kind of playing style, beginning to set up his teammates and playing a more static game.

Fast forward again to last year when for the first time he was playing with any kind of talent in Lupul. He exploded out of the gate, dragging Lupul to the all star game and (an albeit shortened) ppg season. His monster offensive presence continued into this shortened season, instantly picking up the offensive game of whoever was on the other wing, all while slowly starting to understand the kind of impact he can have defensively as well.

Has the evolution of Phil been forced by necessity and the lack of a good centre? Do you think if Toronto had a Savard he would still be a one dimensional, 60-70 pt sniper?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No he would probably have been a much better point producer his playmaking skills have always been pretty good

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I agree with your assessment to a point. I think he needed these years alone to develop and now he can thrive if we can get that elusive #1 center to play with him.

Kyle Doobas*

Meh. He always had an elite skill set (once upon a time being referred to as the 'American Crosby'), he's just now entering his prime and becoming the player it was projected he could be.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Meh. He always had an elite skill set (once upon a time being referred to as the 'American Crosby'), he's just now entering his prime and becoming the player it was projected he could be.
Exactly. His playmaking acumen was always known to be elite. He's a smart guy. If he had the work ethic of Crosby ( which is unreal), his game would be quite similar to Sidney Crosby.

A complete offensive player. He can distribute and finish, and it has more to do with his intelligence and vision. Kessel can see the ice well, allowing him to position himself and recognize open passing lanes. I don't think he was ever like specialized finishers such as Heatley, Ovechkin, Semin, etc. Bruins used Kessel in that manner, because they lack goal scorers.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
When he was in Boston, we saw a quite different Kessel than the one we see today. He was all about scoring goals using his shot from certain spots and off the rush being fed by Savard.

Fast forward to Kessel's 2nd year in Toronto. We started to see him make more and more things happen by himself--almost a "**** it, ill do it myself if no one else can" kind of playing style, beginning to set up his teammates and playing a more static game.

Fast forward again to last year when for the first time he was playing with any kind of talent in Lupul. He exploded out of the gate, dragging Lupul to the all star game and (an albeit shortened) ppg season. His monster offensive presence continued into this shortened season, instantly picking up the offensive game of whoever was on the other wing, all while slowly starting to understand the kind of impact he can have defensively as well.

Has the evolution of Phil been forced by necessity and the lack of a good centre? Do you think if Toronto had a Savard he would still be a one dimensional, 60-70 pt sniper?

Interesting POV. I think a lot of it is Kessel hitting his true prime, but it can even be argued that he's not even there yet (which is scary).

It may come down to "Adapt or Die". Phil has adapted to the situation of carrying the majority of the offense - especially this year - and has had his overall game become much stronger because of it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good players find a way to produce regardless of linemates, they also make linemates better.

Unlike the excuse Grabo fans use of having bad linemates, Kessel has produced with just about anyone he has played with. This speaks volumes of the quality of player he is.

If he does not re-sign, we must deal him, his value is at its highest right now. If he re-signs then great for us. Win-win.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If you look at the video of his goals from his productive seasons in Boston, you'll notice that he scored most of goals pretty much the same way he did here in his first couple seasons, just skating down the wing and firing off those wristers. He didn't really feed off Savard at all.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I would concur with the thesis that Kessel was forced to be a better player as a result of having inferior linemates.

That said, if they get too used to doing that, they could end up trying to go solo too much like Kadri before this season.

All in all, I'd say Kessel has played with some pretty talented linemates. Lupul and JVR are very high skill players. Bozak is also a reasonably skilled forward.

On balance, it would be a very tough case to make that Kessel spent last season with less-than-average linemates, even including a weaker pivot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is a interesting thread. I think it absolutely assisted him having to compensate for the shortcomings of his C. Some guys thrive better when they have to do more and are presented a challenge, Kessel. Where others I think need ego rubs because they are hard heads like Grabovski. This guy is all about pride and things like that everything about his demeanour suggests it. Put him on the first line and I think he will be better for us, if not dump him at the TDL.

Kessel is set now we got a good deal overall I think.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Good players find a way to produce regardless of linemates, they also make linemates better.

Unlike the excuse Grabo fans use of having bad linemates, Kessel has produced with just about anyone he has played with. This speaks volumes of the quality of player he is.

If he does not re-sign, we must deal him, his value is at its highest right now. If he re-signs then great for us. Win-win.

I thought that was Mat's excuse:naughty:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Not sure about Kessel dragging Lupul to the all star game. I think both Lupul and Kessel found chemistry togeather that improved both as players. They are now both better players then they were knowing what they can do togeather even when playing on different lines. I keep wondering what these guys could do with an elite center between then. Kessel and Lupul are exactly the wingers we needed when we had Sundin playing alone for all those years...:p:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A good player makes those around him better, not the other way around.

Kessel's game has evolved from a self centered (no pun intended) 1 man show mentality to more of a team game, and that comes more from maturity than forced into existence via his teammates.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When Kessel was traded to Toronto some people said he won't be the same player without Marc Savard giving him the puck to score goals. However each season his goal totals with the Leafs have gone up, not counting the lockout shorten season and for the 2nd year in a row Kessel finished in the top 10 scoring leaders. All this with Tyler Bozak playing on his line at Centre.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
A good player makes those around him better, not the other way around.

Kessel's game has evolved from a self centered (no pun intended) 1 man show mentality to more of a team game, and that comes more from maturity than forced into existence via his teammates.

All true but I think his linemates still, at very least encouraged, his development into a multi-dimensional player. I'm sure he had the ability in him, but having guys who don't distribute the puck very well certainly promoted the growth having to do a lot more "leg work" on the line. I still can't believe how well he can move the rock. A true playmaker to go along with his sniping capabilities.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kessels thought process...

God dam Bozak can't pass for ****, seriously, I have to be the playmaker of this line? Fatass Brian Burke cant get me a #1 center. Uggh..

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think it did mould Kessel into the offensive catalyst he is today. Along with being thrust into the Toronto spotlight. He has thrived on adversity.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
he was always good at playmaking, he was ryan potulny's setup guy in minnesota :sarcasm:
seriously tho, interesting theory but i'd say its just he got better as he moved near his mid 20's, like most players do..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really think so. Kessel was billed as the "American Crosby" as far back as 2005, so he always had the total offensive package belonging to exceptional first overalls, but slid in the draft for various reasons. In Boston, he was converted to the wing, but he did have that centerman's offensive tools.

GFK27

Jun 24, 2007
Kessels thought process...

God dam Bozak can't pass for ****, seriously, I have to be the playmaker of this line? Fatass Brian Burke cant get me a #1 center. Uggh..
Bozak is good passer however he lacks the vision and hockey sense of a great playmaker!

GFK27

Jun 24, 2007
I don't really think so. Kessel was billed as the "American Crosby" as far back as 2005, so he always had the total offensive package belonging to exceptional first overalls, but slid in the draft for various reasons. In Boston, he was converted to the wing, but he did have that centerman's offensive tools.
Guy Lafleur was drafted as a center, and became one of the greatest right wingers of all time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't some people say if Kessel was draft eligable in 2005 there was talk that he could have challenged Crosby for the #1 pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad