Did the Jersy tossing, billboards and newspaper ads work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i think as a fan base we tell other fanbases that jersey throwing works 100% and then sit back and lol as the leaf fans just litter the ice with jerseys

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Nicholson came in and discovered what we all knew: Oilers have sucked for a while, they sucked right now and looked liked they were going to suck in the future too. And took action. Fix the suck and all the billboards, jersey tossing, etc goes away.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
It showed our discontent as fans, but it did nothing to change the org.

Nicholson started the change, McDavid changed everything.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I sure hope the Oilers weren't influenced by the people that threw jerseys on the ice or anything of that ilk. Basing your several hundred million dollar company's decisions on the tirades of a vocal group of half drunk random's does not exactly scream business sense.

I think there is a lot of hyperbole around here about what Oilers management did or did not do. Regardless of the results, the actions at the time more often than not were reasonable actions that should have seen different results. I hope they continue to ignore the fan base and make their decisions based on their collective objective knowledge.

Suggesting that this team and Management group has been major league failure that last 10 years is about as accurate as it gets.

No hyperbole there at all.

That said the team should never listen to the fans when it comes to singular decisions (hiring a GM...coach..etc) but it would be stupid not to pay attention to general fan discord over the long term.
Thats exactly what was happening with a large portion of the fan base...discord had built up over the past 10 season in large part due to Managerial incompetence.
The billboard was a part of that...it deserved attention simply because it did represent a large portion of the fan base.

Interesting to see how much change has happened since the season ended.
Did the billboard add to the weight of influence in terms of fan discord. Did it ultimately make a difference in this situation? I think it did...I am willing to bet that the public attention it generated (across North America) helped illustrate the point that a large portion of fans were sick and tired of the lack of progress.
It embarrassed the team locally and Nationally and that sometimes goes a long way toward initiating change.

I applaud the people that put up that billboard. It spoke for me and and thousands other fans that otherwise would not have had a voice.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
In a word, YES.

It took we, the fans, a year of embarrassing this petty organization to finally....FINALLY!!!!.... decide it was time to join the modern business world and actually put people that have proven they can do the job in the most important positions.

All the negative press had an influence. Kevin Lowe was reportedly the guy that suggestd they go and get Chairelli. You think this happens if he wasn't digraced into it? Not a chance.

Not a fat chance in hell did they make a difference. Everything that has happened in the past month and a half was purely due to McDavid. That very simple fact is AMAZINGLY clear when you watch MacT's end of season presser and how next year would be a "developmental" year. The Oilers getting that golden ticket knocked down a string of dominos that was incredible to behold, and the ride is still going.

To attribute that change to jersey tossing and a half-assed billboard is egotistical and idiotic. Kevin Lowe had already attempted to resign over a year ago, but was told no. McDavid was the spark - pure and simple. If you can't see that, then you can't be helped. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad