Did the Jersy tossing, billboards and newspaper ads work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
In a word, YES.

It took we, the fans, a year of embarrassing this petty organization to finally....FINALLY!!!!.... decide it was time to join the modern business world and actually put people that have proven they can do the job in the most important positions.

All the negative press had an influence. Kevin Lowe was reportedly the guy that suggestd they go and get Chairelli. You think this happens if he wasn't digraced into it? Not a chance.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I think it was more the following: 1. Calgary making the playoffs put to rest this whole "takes 5 years to rebuild" fantasy, 2. not only were we still bad, we were showing no signs of improvement in the standings, 3. MacT made some blatant errors that couldn't be excused, 4. I bet you season ticket sales for next year were looking abysmal.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
In a word, YES.

It took we, the fans, a year of embarrassing this petty organization to finally....FINALLY!!!!.... decide it was time to join the modern business world and actually put people that have proven they can do the job in the most important positions.

All the negative press had an influence. Kevin Lowe was reportedly the guy that suggestd they go and get Chairelli. You think this happens if he wasn't digraced into it? Not a chance.

I never heard that one.

As for your argument in general, I don't know. It might have had some impact but I'm not convinced it was a deciding factor in the changes that were made.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I hope not. The guys who did that are clowns and don't deserve a winning team. I don't want those fans back. They are losers.

No way in hell do I want that group of fans representing the Oilers fan base as a whole.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I never heard that one.

As for your argument in general, I don't know. It might have had some impact but I'm not convinced it was a deciding factor in the changes that were made.

no, not the deciding factor. most definitely not. back to back 28th place finishes probably had the biggest impact.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I hope not. The guys who did that are clowns and don't deserve a winning team. I don't want those fans back. They are losers.

No way in hell do I want that group of fans representing the Oilers fan base as a whole.

yeah, blind sheep that just keep on paying are far better. :shakehead:help:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

How's the weather up there on your high horse?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Those guys are heroes compared to the sad sacks in management that kept us in the toilet for a decade.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
yeah, blind sheep that just keep on paying are far better. :shakehead:help:

Please. You didn't do a lick either. All you did was complain on a message board. You sure showed them!

If you guys think guys who gave up on the team, are heroes, I don't know what else to say. It's delusional.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007

Disagree entirely. They still stuck with the team, they just weren't willing to let Lowe continue to drive this franchise into the ground. Who knows if they actually made a difference, but calling them clowns is a "clown" statement imo.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No, if anything it probably hurt things and Nicholson has managed to clean all of that up.

And some wonder why I consider us a very entitled fanbase.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Please. You didn't do a lick either. All you did was complain on a message board. You sure showed them!

I don't see anywhere in his post where he claims he did anything, so I don't understand why you're being so hostile towards him. Another "clown" post :laugh:

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Nope it was just the losing, all the morons who threw their jerseys or wasted their money on billboards and ads were still just morons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I never heard that one.

I don't know if it was his suggestion, but he was at a bunch of the meetings with PC when they were trying to lure him.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see anywhere in his post where he claims he did anything, so I don't understand why you're being so hostile towards him. Another "clown" post :laugh:

I'm hostile because even though I stuck with the team, in this place, I was told I was a blind sheep. Or Kool aid drinker. What other names? There's plenty.

Damn straight I'm going to be hostile, especially towards the "fans" who gave up or wanted the team to be moved. I stood by them the team and got all hell for that.

Also you think paying good money, for a billboard for a sports team is smart? Talk about a waste of money. Or how about those rallies? I forgot this place does all talk but no action so not a shocker.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
long and short answer is no--talked with a few guys who were season ticket holders and there was a revolt breweing amongst the STH and when some started to NOT renew their tickets and some wrote personal letters to Katz saying why they were not renewing--that is what killed OBC

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Doubt it. This organization is far too stupid to realize they're the laughingstock of the NHL.

Fortunately the fans aren't stupid and realized we were also a laughingstock and decided to do something about it instead of kissing Lowe's rings.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I sure hope the Oilers weren't influenced by the people that threw jerseys on the ice or anything of that ilk. Basing your several hundred million dollar company's decisions on the tirades of a vocal group of half drunk random's does not exactly scream business sense.

I think there is a lot of hyperbole around here about what Oilers management did or did not do. Regardless of the results, the actions at the time more often than not were reasonable actions that should have seen different results. I hope they continue to ignore the fan base and make their decisions based on their collective objective knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad