Speculation: Did the Hawks change their systems?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Seems like this thread is going to turn into everyone on hf hawks individually letting him know it's been discussed in other threads, because the 94th time will really drive home the point.

Haha, I read the OP and immediately responded before reading the other posts. But ya, hopefully it drives home the point.

What I’ve said is I’m glad Colliton made the call to pull the plug on what he wanted to do and decided to coach for the roster he has.

Reactions: hawksrule

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I thought it was confirmed that they changed their system on offense but wasn't sure on D.
Thanks anyway.

I was asking specifically if they went back to zone on D.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I thought it was confirmed that they changed their system on offense but wasn't sure on D.
Thanks anyway.

I was asking specifically if they went back to zone on D.

I posted this immediately after your post in the Colliton thread yesterday.

Chris Boden (Hawks radio pre and postgame host) on today’s podcast:

“They admitted they have made some tweaks since that San Jose game. Both in terms of being, trying to more consistently carry the puck out of their zone...and... rather than dump it in as frequently as they had been. Because they hadn’t been winning many of those battles or races when they dumped it in, they hadn’t put it in the right spots. And they’ve also made a couple of tweaks defensively, where it’s not so much a strict man-to-man, falling back into zone.

Speculation: - HF Hawks fan pulse: Fire JC?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
People wanted to fire him before these changes were made. Had he not made changes and adapted, he was on the fast-track to being fired.

Now, he's trying to merge out of the firing lane.

Personally, I wanted to fire him for these systems (mostly the dump and chase; the Dzone system did not piss me off like the dump and chase did).

Good to see JC confirmed that is what they were doing.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Personally, I wanted to fire him for these systems (mostly the dump and chase; the Dzone system did not piss me off like the dump and chase did).

Good to see JC confirmed that is what they were doing.
He confirmed they weren't doing dump and chase, it was just a result of the crappy system they had.

Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Dies this mean Rockford also changes the system?

After all...they kept ballyhooing that the farm would run the same system so thTplayers called up woukd be ready and schooled in the same scheme so as to fit right in...so do tgeyvchange now too?

On the other hand it seems Hawks will not be calling up much "help" from the farm since I guess they do not see anyone there being gbetter than what they have ...but if they send Boqvist back down when Murphy gets back in then would they not want at least Boqvist who they might call up if another dman gets injured,to play thecszme familiar scheme?

So does King change his own scheme OR must he duplicate whatever scheme they are going with in Chicago with the Hawks?

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He confirmed they weren't doing dump and chase, it was just a result of the crappy system they had.

I don't really want to argue this but if a system is causing a team to play dump and chase then it is part of their system in a way. If you know playing a certain way is going to cause you to enter the zone a certain way then I consider it part of your plan (intentional or not)

I will 100% admit that they were not playing dump and chase to play dump and chase but it was in fact due to the defensive/breakout strategy that they were using.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
let me point out one thing. if a team has a game plan and no matter what, the players can't execute per game plan and is forced to do a dump and chase to reset...... it is a situation that is not working.

at least JC saw this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad