Did the Canucks know about Franzén back in 2004/Sanderson trade

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I can't quite remember if it was the Detroit scouts that knew about both Franzén and Edler, or was it that both Detroit and Canucks scouts knew about it too

Johan Marcus Gunnar Franzén
franzen

When the Canucks traded away their third round pick for Geoff Sanderson
250px-Geoff_Sanderson.jpg

the Canucks had to get the third round pick back, by making a trade with Dallas... in order to pick Edler

did i get any history wrong. so there was a chance we could have got Edler and Franzen?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know Detroit and Vancouver were the ones most interested/knew the most about Edler.

Not sure what Vancouver knew about Franzen, he was an overager though.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I know Detroit and Vancouver were the ones most interested/knew the most about Edler.

Not sure what Vancouver knew about Franzen, he was an overager though.

DET knew about Edler but settled for Franzen.

VAN knew about Edler, but no word has ever come out that I'm aware of regarding any interest in Franzen at the time. I doubt they did.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
VAN was essentially tipped off about Edler. Doubt Burkie/Nonis ever considered drafting Franzen

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I wasn't following the draft at all then, but I'm sure every team knew about Franzen. An undrafted 24 year old scoring 30 points in the SEL is going to get some attention. Can't say he was on the Canucks draft list however.

Fairly different circumstances than Edler who was in his true draft year and was playing Swedish Div 1 hockey and had practically no history in the major Swedish junior leagues.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Burke and Nonis.

That explains it all.

Ya, what an idiot Nonis. Trading a 3rd rounder at the deadline to try to win the cup then acquiring a higher one back so you could beat Detroit to choosing the best defenseman this team has drafted in the past 19 years.

Such an idiot Nonis ...

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Didn't somebody, I think it was Gradin, drive five hours to see Edler play? Canucks were pretty triumphant about it, as I remember?

Nov 1, 2011
I wasn't following the draft at all then, but I'm sure every team knew about Franzen. An undrafted 24 year old scoring 30 points in the SEL is going to get some attention. Can't say he was on the Canucks draft list however.

Fairly different circumstances than Edler who was in his true draft year and was playing Swedish Div 1 hockey and had practically no history in the major Swedish junior leagues.

IIRC Franzen was actually rated pretty high in some draft publication however because of his age he was a real wild card. Believe he was ranked in the 2nd round in one of my pre-draft lists.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yet Franzen was projected to be a defensive bottom 6 player.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
DET knew about Edler but settled for Franzen.

VAN knew about Edler, but no word has ever come out that I'm aware of regarding any interest in Franzen at the time. I doubt they did.

With Gradin heading up the scouting in Europe, I'm sure that Franzen was at least on the team's radar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad