Did the Bruins help their seeding?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I just gotta say the amount of narrative the Bruins threw their games as they wanted the Leafs due to viewing them as an easy out or something is the kind of bad vibes "We want Florida" gave if not worse.
It's way worse, although not comparable. Players matter, fans don't.

Not that I believe the Bruins tried to intentionally lose, but yeah, it's way worse than a relatively small group of teenagers/early 20 year olds sitting outside in the rain watching the game on TV chanting about wanting to play Florida.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The effort level was looooow the last two games. But, I wouldn’t read it as picking their opponent, more of a case of not getting up for a couple of meaningless games.
Yeah, except if the opponent on winning the division had been something like detroit red wings, they magically would have put in far more effort. So what is this if not throwing?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Obviously they did. Lets not be naive. It looks that way because it was that way.

They did everything but chant "We Want Toronto"
People in the GDT on Tuesday said that the Panthers were also trying to lose to Toronto in order to play Toronto when they were down 2-0, and then stormed back to win. You don't know anything despite how much you want to think you do. It's like when people here claim that teams intentionally tank, as if professional athletes just don't try.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Toronto wont bully Boston, but they need to step up to the plate and give it as good as they get it.

Tavares, Marner, Nylander get your noses dirty, lead the fight.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
People in the GDT on Tuesday said that the Panthers were also trying to lose to Toronto in order to play Toronto when they were down 2-0, and then stormed back to win. You don't know anything despite how much you want to think you do. It's like when people here claim that teams intentionally tank, as if professional athletes just don't try.
To me its pretty obvious. They wanted to avoid Tampa because Tampa always detorys them in the playoffs. They would rather take their chances against a team they historically own. Not rocket science to me. People will do everything in their power to make excuses for what is simple human nature.

to me its obvious they tanked, they will never admit it and people will deny it.

Reactions: torontoblood

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
To me its pretty obvious. They wanted to avoid Tampa because Tampa always detorys them in the playoffs. They would rather take their chances against a team they historically own. Not rocket science to me. People will do everything in their power to make excuses for what is simple human nature.

to me its obvious they tanked, they will never admit it and people will deny it.
And to me it's obvious you're trying to convince yourself of it because it fits your mindset and internal narrative.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
And to me it's obvious you're trying to convince yourself of it because it fits your mindset and internal narrative.
why is it so hard to believe a team would prefer a favorable match up? :DD

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
why is it so hard to believe a team would prefer a favorable match up? :DD
I didn't say that a team wouldn't prefer what they would deem as a favourite match up, I'm saying that a team of professional athletes and their coaches wouldn't go out and intentionally lose two games for the chance to maybe secure that match up.

AppreciateHockey

Dec 12, 2023
Bruins seeded into their worst enemy as the all-time best regular season team last year. Panthers were their kryptonite, which could already be seen in that regular season if I'm not mistaken. Bergeron's injury in the last game of the season did not help either. So I would not be surprised if they are being 'strategic' regarding seeding this year. I don't blame them, it matters. They played well enough all season to throw a game or 2. Other teams which missed out on playoffs should have played better.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
They do seem to match up a lot better against Toronto than against Tampa, especially in the playoffs. The Lightning beat them pretty easily in both 2018 and 2020.

That said, I doubt they intentionally threw games.

Who saw Toronto vs Florida on Tuesday? Maybe the Leafs intentionally let the Panthers pass Boston so they wouldn't have to face FLA in round one? :sarcasm:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Bruins started slow against the Senators but outshot them 23-2 in the third, lol.

As for Washington... yeah, I think they laid an egg there.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
They lost to one “mediocre” team that was fighting for a playoff berth. They lost to a “bad” team playing for pride against a rival in their last game of the season. I didn’t see the games, so I don’t know about the Bs effort given. Perhaps they chose Toronto, I don’t really see them making a conscious decision to do so, though.
It's obvious the OP didn't watch the games either. While they definitely did not have 2 of their better games, each game saw numerous posts hit that would have otherwise changed the outcome of both games. They were just two really bad game that personally I'm hoping don't carry over into the playoffs. We're screwed if it does. No matter who they are playing.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah, except if the opponent on winning the division had been something like detroit red wings, they magically would have put in far more effort. So what is this if not throwing?

If winning gave them an easier draw, yeah sure. But the Atlantic is a tough draw this year no matter who you are playing. The weird attempt to create a story line is weird.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I just gotta say the amount of narrative the Bruins threw their games as they wanted the Leafs due to viewing them as an easy out or something is the kind of bad vibes "We want Florida" gave if not worse.

If the Leafs eliminate the Bruins they will be clowned on even harder for that
that bugged me so much, even people at my work saying it like u know Florida is a good team right? they can for sure beat us. then what do u know. all the fans did doing that was got Florida fired up.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I'm not going to say they threw the last two games,

1713467927715.png

But I will say they probably threw the last two games.

1713467982944.png

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
It was funny that the Leafs were up 2-0 on Florida and ended up losing 5-2. If you go with the other tin foil hat conspiracy, then you could also say the Leafs avoided Florida by losing to them the last game.

I would say both teams played not to get injured in meaningless games. Bruins learned the hard way last year. Bergeron, Ullmark, and Lindholm all got injured the last week, and it weakened their team a lot.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Last year the Bruins got a couple guys hurt messing around in the last couple games of the season and you saw how that went.

They definitely were trying to spread the minutes around in those two games and weren’t giving 100% but I wouldn’t say they threw the games to draw the Leafs, they still needed Florida to win to do that.

They definitely were trying to avoid getting hurt, especially after Carlo got banged up against the caps.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I said we want Toronto as a bad joke. Not sure others said the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad