Did the Bruins help their seeding?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
They lost to one “mediocre” team that was fighting for a playoff berth. They lost to a “bad” team playing for pride against a rival in their last game of the season. I didn’t see the games, so I don’t know about the Bs effort given. Perhaps they chose Toronto, I don’t really see them making a conscious decision to do so, though.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fair on the Caps and the Rangers had a stinker against the Flyers. They also lost to the Islanders who as hot as they were aren't a great team. I guess it was more the Sens game. The Rangers who won one game by more than a goal (empty net goals not included) since the Reagan administration beat the Sens 4-0. Plus I read a stat about the Sens leading for a total of 1 minute in April or something like that. Seemed like a shocking loss.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Bears are herbivores… in round 1. 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_9578.jpeg

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The effort level was looooow the last two games. But, I wouldn’t read it as picking their opponent, more of a case of not getting up for a couple of meaningless games.
Indeed. Bruins turned up the effort and dominated Ottawa in the 3rd which shows the gap in teams. The question becomes if this switch is ready for round 1.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I just gotta say the amount of narrative the Bruins threw their games as they wanted the Leafs due to viewing them as an easy out or something is the kind of bad vibes "We want Florida" gave if not worse.

If the Leafs eliminate the Bruins they will be clowned on even harder for that

Reactions: Rob Brown

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Have the Bruins won enough to be picking their opponent? They were embarrassed just last season, so, they're going to tempt fate with a team that would love to beat them in the playoffs?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My gut feeling is they chose to tank it for Toronto. Which would normally incur a high karma penalty from the hockey gods...

But the way the Leafs are scuffling and dead heading into the playoffs with all that baggage, I think the Bruins made a wise calculation that could very well pay off.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I won't straight up accuse them of throwing games but they lost to one mediocre team and one bad team scoring 1 total goal. Did they at the very least not give 100% to play Toronto rather than Tampa Bay?
Games meant nothing really.
Like the leafs losing last 4 games to Devils, Wings, Panthers, Bolts and giving up like 25 goals doing so.
Nothing games......seeds ? Nobody takes a dive for seed manipulation.
3rd period of game 82 Bruins were all over Sens net trying to win. Sens goalie all if sudden shows up and plays the game of his season. ha!
Once a team has officially made the play offs ......it's all about game 83.

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The effort level was looooow the last two games. But, I wouldn’t read it as picking their opponent, more of a case of not getting up for a couple of meaningless games.
Feels like any team that has clinched and has nothing to play for, give minimal effort so they don't get hurt when the real season starts.

I don't think Boston threw their games, they faced a team fighting for their playoff lives and then just wanted to get out of the Ottawa game without being hurt lol.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I just gotta say the amount of narrative the Bruins threw their games as they wanted the Leafs due to viewing them as an easy out or something is the kind of bad vibes "We want Florida" gave if not worse.

If the Leafs eliminate the Bruins they will be clowned on even harder for that

No they will not. A few posters here pushing the no injuries theme over winning last few games is hardly the same as fans openly chanting for a certain team.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don't think they cared one bit who they played round 1 and I think they tried to win those games. It may have benefitted them ultimately but I can tell you they were not happy to lose those games the way they did. Chicken shit fans may be but not the actual players or organization.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't know if the Bruins really want the Leafs. If they lose they will never live it down.

They do until the puck drops and they realize they were mistaken with how they thought the series would be.

Bruins fans are going to hate the Leafs at the end of the series the amount of pests and greasy guys we have who will throw casual elbows and be dirtbags.

WreckedUm

Damn near killed ‘em
Nov 25, 2018
Bruins fans are going to hate the Leafs at the end of the series the amount of pests and greasy guys we have who will throw casual elbows and be dirtbags.

At least your goons will show up to play, your core? not so much.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
At least your goons will show up to play, your core? not so much.

Well that would certainly suck as a Leafs fan if that happened. My hope is they just continue or ideally take a step from their last few seasons where they have performed well in the playoffs. My confidence mostly comes from the last 2 seasons especially the team has played at a really high level against Tampa.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I doubt they talked about losing games intentionally.

But knowing if you lose you get the Leafs, win and you get Tampa, it's not hard to see why it was tough getting up for these last couple of games. It's just human nature when you have nothing to play for and the playoffs are around the corner.

Tampa just recently lost 3 straight to teams not in a playoff spot at the time, Leafs lost 2. It happens.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Obviously they did. Lets not be naive. It looks that way because it was that way.

They did everything but chant "We Want Toronto"

Reactions: torontoblood

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, it definitely looked like tanking to me. They wanted to avoid Tampa and face the Leafs. This makes sense, because Tampa's been very hot to end the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad