Did someone lace the koolaid? Smile folks.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Holy bejeebers Batman! I took a few days off after the loss in Boston and come back to all sorts of soft-headed comments. Essentially, ‘the sky is falling, the sky is falling’. Trade him, bury that guy, that year’s core is better than this year’s core, there’s no team concept on this team, coaching...what stinking coaching, it’s the fans fault we suck (really :help:), we’ll never get past the first round, and on it goes.

Let’s try something different in this thread. If you have something positive to say about the team, shout it out here. We might learn something we didn’t know and which offers a sense of optimism, not a bad thing considering some of the other threads.

And, if you just want to rag on the team, consider doing it elsewhere, plenty of options for you to choose. (Yes, I do know that was a very large red cape I waved :laugh:)

For example: Dermott will improve next year and I expect Grunstrom to add some sandpaper to our left wing position. Makes me happy.

Anyone else?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Marner, Matthews, nylander, Reilly, dermott, kapanen, johnsson, liljegren, grundstrom and a whole bunch of other young players and prospects are going to be better next year then they were this year most likely!

Reactions: Leafsdude7

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Best season I've seen from the leafs in a long time.
I think if Matthews was 100% healthy going into the playoffs it would have been a different story.
I am excited for next year with the big 3 ready and the new parts coming in with zeal
Go leafs go

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs are where I thought they were. A fantastic team that needs minor adjustments to turn into a legitimate cup contender

Reactions: Once

Nash 2

Apr 19, 2018
Look where the team was two years ago. It sucks to go out in the first round, especially in a game 7 to Boston but the future is brighter than its beeen in decades.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Next season can’t start fast enough.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Look where the team was two years ago. It sucks to go out in the first round, especially in a game 7 to Boston but the future is brighter than its beeen in decades.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Next season can’t start fast enough.
yup hopefully we beat nash2 next year! lol

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
People really don't realise just how close we are to being cup contenders. We are right on the verge of being one of the top tier teams in the NHL. Yes, our major need at the moment is a top pairing D-man but I think losing the likes of Bozak and JVR will make us a better 200 ft team because their replacements are much more complete players. I'm really looking forward to guys like Grundstrom, Kapanen and AJ taking up much bigger roles in the lineup. I really think Kapanen and AJ can both easily put up 10-15+ goals a piece if they get to play in the top 9 and they will provide so much versatility to Babs because they can play in all situations.

All we are lacking is a quality #2/3 C and a top 4D.

Hyman - Matty - Willie
Kapanen - XXX - AJ
Marleau - Kadri - Mitch
Grundy - XXX (Altonen/ Bozak if he wants to come back for super cheap) - Leivo

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Z
Gards - Hainsey
Carrick

Fred
McBackup

My personal targets for the #2/3 C:
- Sign John Tavares 2 years for max deal (bridge Willie for 2 years)
- Trade for ROR. Give up only picks and 2ndary prospects.

Targets for top 4D: Would prefer a solid vet who isn't over the hill and can fulfil quality shutdown duty.
- Maybe take advantage of the Oilers offensive woes from the back end and swap a guy like Jake Gardiner for an Adam Larsson?
- Try to target one of the Calgary D (TJ Brodie).
- Sign Calvin De Haan (not the most ideal option)

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Like the custom title reads, "As Long As It Takes." No cataclysmic reflex here. Another season, more regular season Leafs records broken.

Re: OP's question...I'd like to see Justin Holl, Andreas Borgman and Garret Sparks promoted and stick with the club. I'm not of a mind that because MclHenney played well this season, that that means we need to continue wrenching everything out of him until he declines. He was a free wallet, if he's flipped for a 7th, I call that good asset management. I think having the best young goalie in the AHL should merit another run at the top club's backup. Promotion from within. And if there's one thing we've all seen in Sparks, is that he absolutely loves the crest on the front of his sweater.

Looking forward to the draft...And speaking of promising goaltenders, Veini Vehvilainen looks very promising. If he's eligible for the draft, I say we take the gamble. If he needs to be signed, I say we take the gamble and make him Toronto property and continue backfill a newly found position of strength in net.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We're upset because the team had the talent to win the cup but a lot of players didn't show up in the playoffs. Whether that was bad timing for a slump, inexperience, character issues, or a good Bruins team is being debated. What can't be debated is that a lot of the players did not have any consistency and were shells of their regular season selves.

Throw in a game 7 lead and a total choke job and collapse and it's pretty obvious why people are not happy with the way it ended. This team needs some major changes to win a cup and we are tired of being a joke of a franchise.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
We're upset because the team had the talent to win the cup but a lot of players didn't show up in the playoffs. Whether that was bad timing for a slump, inexperience, character issues, or a good Bruins team is being debated. What can't be debated is that a lot of the players did not have any consistency and were shells of their regular season selves.

Throw in a game 7 lead and a total choke job and collapse and it's pretty obvious why people are not happy with the way it ended. This team needs some major changes to win a cup and we are tired of being a joke of a franchise.

Uh... if you thought they were serious contenders for the cup I admire the confidence and question your validity.

Was it better than a first round exit team? Probably yes. They played one of the best teams in the league that played great down the stretch. Most other matchups and Toronto is still playing hockey.

The kids are still so young. People need to be patient and step off the ledge.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

You don't seem like a proud leafs fan

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

And your positive takes on this past season or next season are...:D

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We had high expectations and failed to meet them. Nothing more, nothing less.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
1. At the moment I am not. I am disappointed in my team.

2. You've been running around saying much worse so not sure you have any right to call anyone else out.
You called the organization/franchise a joke while it says you're a proud Leafs fan right under your username. seems a bit weird. The only thing I've said here is that the Leafs are a fantastic team in a good spot, so I think you have me confused with someone else

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You called the organization/franchise a joke while it says you're a proud Leafs fan right under your username. seems a bit weird. The only thing I've said here is that the Leafs are a fantastic team in a good spot, so I think you have me confused with someone else

They are coming up on 60 years since they won a cup. Longest drought in the league. Fresh off nearly the longest streak of missing the playoffs ever if not for the Oilers. Collapse after collapse for years. The franchise IS a joke. They are working on making it not a joke. It hasn't happened yet.

Management agrees, they've said many times their goal is to restore respect to the franchise.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. At the moment I am not. I am disappointed in my team.

2. You've been running around saying much worse so not sure you have any right to call anyone else out.

You realize that boston was the overwhelming favorite right???? Who in their right mind thought the leafs would win the cup this year?

Losing after being up 4-3 after being down 3-2 isn’t a choke job. It’s a loss. We took a top 3 favorite who many picked to win it all to a 7th game 3rd period.

Are there 22 other jokes in the league? Or is it 30?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They are coming up on 60 years since they won a cup. Longest drought in the league. Fresh off nearly the longest streak of missing the playoffs ever if not for the Oilers. Collapse after collapse for years. The franchise IS a joke. They are working on making it not a joke. It hasn't happened yet.

Management agrees, they've said many times their goal is to restore respect to the franchise.

This is the part I don’t get. Is the rangers winning 1 cup in like ever 25 years ago somehow better? Are all the teams who have never won the cup EVER a joke? Because that is most of them.......

Are the isles not a joke now because they won in like 1985? Expand on your criteria

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
This is the part I don’t get. Is the rangers winning 1 cup in like ever 25 years ago somehow better? Are all the teams who have never won the cup EVER a joke? Because that is most of them.......

Are the isles not a joke now because they won in like 1985? Expand on your criteria

Leafs have a worse history than all of those teams. Rangers were a yearly playoff team for the last few decades. Islanders had a Dynasty in the 80's. The only other franchise that is close is the Oilers, but the Leafs have been a clown show for longer than the 20 years they have.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Only people who are delusional really thought we were cup contenders.

We had a top 5 offense with a bottom five defense. You can’t win
The cup with a defense that bad. Don’t give me crap about
Pittsburgh as an example we don’t have a Crosby malkin on our team.

We have a very good young team that’s only going to get better.
We are in great shape cap wise and have a lot of good prospects in the system.

Stay the course let the kids gain experience, add to the defense
As needed, try to improve the team without selling off our future.

Two years removed from finishing last we don’t need to go all in because people are impatient.

Matthews nylander marner Dermott are so young they couldn’t grow a playoff beard. They are our future let them grow.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think they would win the cup but I expected better than to be outplayed in almost all of the seven games against a banged up Boston team who the Leafs could beat. Even if they didn't win, it's how they lost that pissed me off.

I see quite a few problems, I should be allowed to be concerned. Not everything sorts itself out just by players getting two years older, teams regress, teams make bad mgmt decisions, etc.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Which one is it?

Reactions: Loosie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille