Kings Article: Did Sharks GM Doug Wilson Try to Pull A Fast One In Statement on Torres Suspension?

Ron*

It's all bull **** as FR stated in the article, basically the same thing I was saying yesterday, its a statement to just appease their fan base.

If they really believed the horse **** they are shoveling in his self-serving statement, they would appeal the suspension whole-heartily.

But Wilson is really being deceptive. They probably cut a deal with the league saying we won't appeal the suspension as long as he is available for the next round, if that comes to pass. Hence the ridiculous "series suspension" doled out by the league, which I still disagree with.

I bet Wilson is seething now that the Kings basically stoll ;) that game in the last two minutes, completely changing the complexion of the series. **** that guy, and **** Torres.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's all bull **** as FR stated in the article, basically the same thing I was saying yesterday, its a statement to just appease their fan base.

If they really believed the horse **** they are shoveling in his self-serving statement, they would appeal the suspension whole-heartily.

But Wilson is really being deceptive. They probably cut a deal with the league saying we won't appeal the suspension as long as he is available for the next round, if that comes to pass. Hence the ridiculous "series suspension" doled out by the league, which I still disagree with.

I bet Wilson is seething now that the Kings basically stoll ;) that game in the last two minutes, completely changing the complexion of the series. **** that guy, and **** Torres.

Sometimes I swear you live in my head, Ron :laugh:

I would only add that it's no wonder the Sharks are so dismissive if that's their GM's attitude. He also publicly admonished Thornton's suspension after he knocked Perron out for a year, yet was crying oceans when it happened to them. At least he acknowledged Stoll, unlike the rest of their fans, media, and HF posters. But for an organization I used to think was pretty classy...they've been pretty bush league this playoffs with all their reffing comments (even though the Canucks stuff was hilarious) and Couture's embellishments.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kinda like Lombardi did to Taylor and Burke did to Bryan Murray in Anaheim lol ;)

Not to swing this thread away to much, but Taylor didn't leave a foundation. He left Brown, Kopitar and Quick, the latter two of which never played a pro hockey game in NA when Lombardi landed as the GM. I don't call that a foundation.

If you want to call that a foundation (especially considering it was 6 years later, and 20 other roster players later) in which DL brought home a cup, then I guess every team that's ever won a cup did it off the coattails of the previous GM(s).

Taylor gets way to much credit for a Stanley Cup team that he contributed hardly anything too.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Reading between the lines of his statement, it reads like he knows he's wrong, but wants to save face with their fans. When you try to overexplain every aspect of your argument it smacks of desperation and excuses. He simply could have released the statement "While we disagree with the league's ruling, we accept it and fully support Raffi Torres." That would be less distracting for the team than releasing the statement he did.

Ron*

Sometimes I swear you live in my head, Ron :laugh:

How do you know I'm not? ;)

I would only add that it's no wonder the Sharks are so dismissive if that's their GM's attitude. He also publicly admonished Thornton's suspension after he knocked Perron out for a year, yet was crying oceans when it happened to them.

Totally agree. I would add "disengenuous" and "intellectually dishonest" as terms to describe Mr. Wilson as well.

He also has apparently succeeded in fooling his fan base. :/

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How do you know I'm not? ;)

Totally agree. I would add "disengenuous" and "intellectually dishonest" as terms to describe Mr. Wilson as well.

He also has apparently succeeded in fooling his fan base. :/

Good point :laugh:

And I agree. I'm starting to have a healthy dislike for the entire Sharks org. Wilson is flat-out publicly whining here. It's well-dressed, but it's whining.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Not to swing this thread away to much, but Taylor didn't leave a foundation. He left Brown, Kopitar and Quick, the latter two of which never played a pro hockey game in NA when Lombardi landed as the GM. I don't call that a foundation.

If you want to call that a foundation (especially considering it was 6 years later, and 20 other roster players later) in which DL brought home a cup, then I guess every team that's ever won a cup did it off the coattails of the previous GM(s).

Taylor gets way to much credit for a Stanley Cup team that he contributed hardly anything too.

IMO the three main reasons for LAs cup win were Quick, Kopitar and Brown. All Taylor picks. IMO Taylor laid the foundation with three damn good picks and these guys would have become the same players regardless of who the GM was. Special players like Quick and Kopitar are self driven and their success is almost all their own. I agree some players like Voynov and Lewis needed grooming and development and Lombardi provided that but others like Doughty are just natural talents

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Wow!

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

"Sharks have been fined $100,000 for public comments by General Manager Doug Wilson pertaining to the suspension of Raffi Torres."

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
IMO the three main reasons for LAs cup win were Quick, Kopitar and Brown. All Taylor picks. IMO Taylor laid the foundation with three damn good picks and these guys would have become the same players regardless of who the GM was. Special players like Quick and Kopitar are self driven and their success is almost all their own. I agree some players like Voynov and Lewis needed grooming and development and Lombardi provided that but others like Doughty are just natural talents

DT and his staff absolutely gets credit for drafting them. Not for developing them, one bit. Brown had no business being in the NHL as an 18 year old. Brown's development was hugely helped by the work stoppage and a full season in Manchester. Had that not happened, who knows how he would've turned out. The Kings were renowned for rushing prospects and ruining them. DL made Quick pay his dues before bringing him up and did the same with Bernier. Recognizing talent, matters. But developing it is just as important. DT selected some of the ingredients, but DL should get some credit for turning those building blocks into the solid foundation. The Kings development program is top notch now. A far cry from where it used to be.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
DT and his staff absolutely gets credit for drafting them. Not for developing them, one bit. Brown had no business being in the NHL as an 18 year old. Brown's development was hugely helped by the work stoppage and a full season in Manchester. Had that not happened, who knows how he would've turned out. The Kings were renowned for rushing prospects and ruining them. DL made Quick pay his dues before bringing him up and did the same with Bernier. Recognizing talent, matters. But developing it is just as important. DT selected some of the ingredients, but DL should get some credit for turning those building blocks into the solid foundation. The Kings development program is top notch now. A far cry from where it used to be.

Lombardi rushed Cliffird and Johnson. Johnson needed time in the AHL IMO. Giving someone credit for developing Kopitar is like giving someone credit for developing Crosby or Toews. Some rare players just "have it" already and "get it" when it comes to commitment to their craft. I do give Lombardi credit in developing Voynov, King and others though.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Can't believe that people are shocked and upset over the fine given by the league.
You try and undermine the league in public you will get hit. It is no different than any of the other sports leagues.
Even if you don't agree with the suspension two wrongs don't make a right.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Can't believe that people are shocked and upset over the fine given by the league.
You try and undermine the league in public you will get hit. It is no different than any of the other sports leagues.
Even if you don't agree with the suspension two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm more surprised SJ made the original statement. Once I read it I pretty much assumed a fine was coming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad