OT: Did Shanahan bring his Irish luck with him to this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Yeah this is just another random talk for those who wants to talk about these kinda things.

Last year when we were heading for the draft lottery a lot of people were talking about him bringing his Irish luck to the team to win the lottery, but that didn't happen and neither did we move up with the opportunity to trade up to draft 1st overall. What we did was draft Nylander at 8, we traded Gunner for Polak and that's how we concluded the draft.

In a year at the same time around, he has made front office agree with the rebuild, he has fired 18 scouts, and the whole management and brought in guys like Dubas and Hunter, he made the best coach on planet agree with the rebuild process and join the team, he is consistently bringing in more and more bright people to work with the team. AND we watched Nylander torching both SHL and AHL.

So has he brought in the luck with him? Leafs haven't been this lucky in over a decade and they are gonna pick the 4th overall (highest in over 2 or 3 decades). Is this anything less than a very very lucky things going on for over a year now?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Screw luck. Earn it all through hard work and determination. Champions make their own luck.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With any luck there would only be hockey threads on a hockey board.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Luck? Nah. I think we finally have someone who's patient, doesn't have an ego, and not trying to prove anything.

He's letting this thing run its course, so far, and honestly that's the best thing for the team right now.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
It's not luck, he's selling guys on his long-term vision and the glory that will come in seeing it through. Dipping into MLSE's coffers certainly helps too though.

These 'small' hires that the Leafs are doing that maybe your average fan doesn't really appreciate, the talented CHL executives the team is picking up, it's exactly what Toronto should be doing. Flexing their financial muscle in ways the cap can't prevent. Guys like Mark Hunter or other accomplished CHL executives often don't want to give up all the power and control they have to sit in an assistant role where they're not in charge and probably not making a whole lot more, offer them more money than the 29 other teams are willing to offer though and you have a shot. That I believe is what the Leafs are doing and it is extremely satisfying to see as a fan.

Credit for Shanahan for being able to put it all together and sell these guys on his vision, building a smart committee to lead this team to the promised land, but also credit to ownership for actually spending all this money on the team (as they should). Leafs fans make the Toronto Maple Leafs far more valuable than any other hockey franchise, there's no reason why the team's front office shouldn't reflect that.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Considering there's no such thing, I'd say no.

I know, party pooper I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad