did russian hockey die at the 1981 olympics?

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
after extensive travels throughout russia, integrating into russian culture through marriage and other ways, significant time spent in moscow, i ask the question... did russian hockey die at the 1981 olympics? i have not been able to have one single significant conversation with a russian about hockey under the age of 75. I have only spoken to one old russian about hockey in some details. all the younger people do not care. they say it is not popular among most youth, it's an older thing. etc. none of them even know any russian hockey players except for some who know of alex ovechkin but if they know him they do not seem to hold him in high regard. after high levels of disappointment i ask why? would this be different with a different outcome in 1981? when exactly did hockey lose it's traction among the younger generations of russians?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
after extensive travels throughout russia, integrating into russian culture through marriage and other ways, significant time spent in moscow, i ask the question... did russian hockey die at the 1981 olympics? i have not been able to have one single significant conversation with a russian about hockey under the age of 75. I have only spoken to one old russian about hockey in some details. all the younger people do not care. they say it is not popular among most youth, it's an older thing. etc. none of them even know any russian hockey players except for some who know of alex ovechkin but if they know him they do not seem to hold him in high regard. after high levels of disappointment i ask why? would this be different with a different outcome in 1981? when exactly did hockey lose it's traction among the younger generations of russians?
1980 Olympics? Or 1981 Canada Cup?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dunno. They won the Canada cup in 81 I think and tried to take the actual cup back to russia.

The 1980 miracle on ice was a noticeable crack in the armour but I think the 84 Canada cup was another crack then finally the 87 Canada cup classic was the real death knell to Russian superiority.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I dunno. They won the Canada cup in 81 I think and tried to take the actual cup back to russia.

The 1980 miracle on ice was a noticeable crack in the armour but I think the 84 Canada cup was another crack then finally the 87 Canada cup classic was the real death knell to Russian superiority.

Taking those Canada Cups seriously is funny.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Taking those Canada Cups seriously is funny.

The 1987 Canada Cup will always be the greatest international series and games of all time to a whole myriad of Hockey fans. There's nothing funny about that. We will probably never see two teams put on a show as such possibly again.

destroy

Feb 15, 2014
what the **** is this question "did russian hockey die"? i don't know even what to answer. it become less popular maybe and football took over.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

You are missing one important point. Russia is big. It is also a country where many diffrent sports are popular unlike in many typical hockey countries. I don't know where you were. There are also specific hockey-interested regions in Russia and there are places where literally nobody cares about hockey. That doesn't mean there isn't enough popularity there. Look, if every 4th Russian would just know what hockey is, there would be more such ppl than there are Canadians. It's propably your expectations were unrealistic. If you thought there was a time when there were 290 million hockey crazy Soviets, then it was just unrealistic.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The 1987 Canada Cup will always be the greatest international series and games of all time to a whole myriad of Hockey fans. There's nothing funny about that. We will probably never see two teams put on a show as such possibly again.

Just no. Not even close.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, yeah, most of the younger Russians I know don't know that much about hockey. I mean, they watch the World Championships and the Olympics, they know their best players, but that's about it.

On the other hand, I don't know enough of them to generalize.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Just no. Not even close.

Right, I'm sure there's hundreds and thousands of games in history lined up with that much talent on the ice as magical as the KLM line, playing against the two greatest forwards in the history of the game, without mentioning some of the greatest all around defensemen in the history of the game on both sides, that together put on such an entertaining spectacle.

But then again, you must be one of those that still sit and complain of officiating 24/7, 27 years laters, which obviously takes away from the sight of beauty that those games represented.

If you can even name 3 games in the HISTORY of Hockey that entertain more to this day, please do so. It will be amusing beyond belief. And obviously most if not all the posters will not agree with you, so perhaps you can watch the games again to rekindle your memories of what the best Hockey can offer looks like.

I guess you've forgotten and are not use to watching excellence like before, watching this era of Russian teams does that to one I suppose. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
First, majority of people in Russia and other former Soviet countries doesn't care about any sport events. At all. Even about the Olympics (ok, in this case it might not be the majority, but still a lot of them).

Then there is a large percent of 'fans' that are following the major NT events. If some of them know that there are guys named Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk - those can be considered as an advanced fans. :)

And then there are guys who are really following their favourite sports and sometimes even have a favourite team except the NT. This is often considered almost as a deviation by the majority. And yes, most of this kind of fans are mostly following football, hockey is at second place (but I think due to progress in recent years it is kind of close now).

This has nothing to do with 1980 Olympics or 1981 Canada cup, it has always been that way. Actually, due to progress in TV broadcasting, sports and hockey popularity has even grown significantly since then. The fact that TS has been able to find some older hockey fan actually is kind of a big luck.

P.S. Thread title is golden :)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Right, I'm sure there's hundreds and thousands of games in history lined up with that much talent on the ice as magical as the KLM line, playing against the two greatest forwards in the history of the game, without mentioning some of the greatest all around defensemen in the history of the game on both sides, that together put on such an entertaining spectacle.

But then again, you must be one of those that still sit and complain of officiating 24/7, 27 years laters, which obviously takes away from the sight of beauty that those games represented.

If you can even name 3 games in the HISTORY of Hockey that entertain more to this day, please do so. It will be amusing beyond belief. And obviously most if not all the posters will not agree with you, so perhaps you can watch the games again to rekindle your memories of what the best Hockey can offer looks like.

I guess you've forgotten and are not use to watching excellence like before, watching this era of Russian teams does that to one I suppose. :sarcasm:

In realistic terms, the "84 and '87 Canada Cups were fixed. It started in '84, when, after Canada lost to the Soviets in the round robin, the tournament owner, Alan Eagleson, decreed that only North Americans could referee medal round games from then forward. In '87, the Canadian TV announcer Dan Kelly spoke on air about Mike Noeth, the American referee who worked the round robin game between Canada and the USSR, saying "I'm cheering for Canada, but this is ridiculous!" (Check it out for yourself on YouTube). You get the picture. Since having a fixed outcome wasn't exactly unheard of in the Soviet Union either, I think Soviet fans, however many were paying attention to the Canada Cup, would probably accept the premise that the Canada Cup was owned and controlled by Canada, and they were simply reserving it for themselves. I don't think that the Soviet fan saw it as a legitimate tournament at the same level of the Olympics or the World Championships.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In realistic terms, the "84 and '87 Canada Cups were fixed. It started in '84, when, after Canada lost to the Soviets in the round robin, the tournament owner, Alan Eagleson, decreed that only North Americans could referee medal round games from then forward. In '87, the Canadian TV announcer Dan Kelly spoke on air about Mike Noeth, the American referee who worked the round robin game between Canada and the USSR, saying "I'm cheering for Canada, but this is ridiculous!" (Check it out for yourself on YouTube). You get the picture. Since having a fixed outcome wasn't exactly unheard of in the Soviet Union either, I think Soviet fans, however many were paying attention to the Canada Cup, would probably accept the premise that the Canada Cup was owned and controlled by Canada, and they were simply reserving it for themselves. I don't think that the Soviet fan saw it as a legitimate tournament at the same level of the Olympics or the World Championships.

...and their new shiny World Cup has exactly the same status for me. It's their World Cup. It's their rules. It's their refs. There is no indication they want anybody outside the NHL to have a say in anything regarding that tournament.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

I should actually stop reading there. The bias kills a proper dicussion.

I'm not complaining. I don't seriously care about games with no fair reffing by design.

The 72 Summit Series, CSKA-MTL, CSKA-EDM games. This is my personal opinion. I don't care if millions of ppl made to believe what they believe think otherwise. I watched the games and that's what I think.

Nice try. I've seen some hockey in my life. And I know what excellence is.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

The refereeing in that event was blatant cheating by the Canadians. They have marketed this event extremely well though, so I am not surprised that so many people feel as you do.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I should actually stop reading there. The bias kills a proper dicussion.

Calling Gretzky and Lemieux "the two greatest forwards in the history of the game" is a sign of bias? Riiiight. Well, actually, I guess you could put Gordie Howe between them.

The 72 Summit Series, CSKA-MTL, CSKA-EDM games. This is my personal opinion. I don't care if millions of ppl made to believe what they believe think otherwise. I watched the games and that's what I think.

There is no way the 1972 SS was better hockey than the 1987 CC. I'd say that games 3 and 8, for example, were very entertaining and of good quality, but come on, the hockey was noticeably faster and better in 1987, whether you like the reffing or not (personally, I don't like it very much).

1979 Challenge Cup is my favourite series, by the way.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Calling Gretzky and Lemieux "the two greatest forwards in the history of the game" is a sign of bias? Riiiight. Well, actually, I guess you could put Gordie Howe between them.

Yeah, predictable reaction. There is a world outside your religion. In North America most ppl still think the NHL is the only place for hockey and still think Gretzky and Lemieux were the best of all time. Feel free to be upset about it, but there are ppl who witnessed more than just the NHL and think otherwise. Yeah, great players. Gretzky obviously the best Canadian to ever play the game. But piling up points in a NA league doesn't make him the best off all. And judging by his game and not his stats in the NHL there were others I would compare to him and maybe give them a better grade overall. But there can only be one true god, I know. Same happening with Crosby right now. I don't know why ppl can't accept the fact it's even wrong to try to determine one best out of apples and oranges. And they are driven into it by economics, not common sense. The league wants to market one face and does so. And ppl follow the hype created.

There is no way the 1972 SS was better hockey than the 1987 CC. I'd say that games 3 and 8, for example, were very entertaining and of good quality, but come on, the hockey was noticeably faster and better in 1987, whether you like the reffing or not (personally, I don't like it very much).

1979 Challenge Cup is my favourite series, by the way.

That's again apples and oranges. Hockey changes with time. But it's not necessarily for the best in all areas. There are things I don't like about 70s, 80s, and 90s and today's hockey. As I wrote. It's my opinion.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Hockey is not as popular - true. Based on ur location u ive in mass? The majority of imigration here are ukrainian and belorussian jews. Jews dont care for sports as much, plus hockey was never big in Ukraine even in soviet times. But, young russians dont care about hockey much either for all different reasons, mostly western influence of european ( predominantly english) football, games, social media, yet there are geographical areas where hockey is still number one.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Its funny that you should mention Gretzky and Lemieux as the "two greatest forwards in the history of the game." The fact is that while Gretzky piled up huge numbers in the NHL, he was almost a complete no-show when it came to playing the Soviets. In the WJC, the Super Series for Edmonton and LA, and the Canada Cups, the Soviets locked Gretzky up and swallowed the key, so to speak.

The only time that he was ever a factor was late in the '87 Canada Cup, when they moved him on to a line with Lemieux. Gretzky started getting some assists, but then, I could have probably gotten a bunch of assists if they put me on a line with Lemieux. I have to give Lemieux his due - the man had amazing hand-eye coordination, almost on the verge of supernormal. He hurt the Soviets a lot on several different occasions with his amazing ability to score goals.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Also, it should be noted that in Soviet times, and even now, people in Russia aren't bombarded with overkill information about hockey like they are in NA, where there are probably 10 cable networks alone devoted to hockey 24/7.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Also, it should be noted that in Soviet times, and even now, people in Russia aren't bombarded with overkill information about hockey like they are in NA, where there are probably 10 cable networks alone devoted to hockey 24/7.

Well, ur average boston fan at the game dont know crap about hockey either. U would be lucky for them to name ur starting 5.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Isn't Bandy more popular in parts of Siberia? Thousands show up to games outdoors in frigid weather. The World Championship Final in Irkutsk attracted 15,000 in -32 C tmperatures.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Isn't Bandy more popular in parts of Siberia? Thousands show up to games outdoors in frigid weather. The World Championship Final in Irkutsk attracted 15,000 in -32 C tmperatures.

Bit OT, but 2013 Swedish bandy final had 38 474 attending. :laugh:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Great game by the way. Have some doms and marketing - sky is the limit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad