Did Phil Kessel say goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovecat

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto,ON
excuse if this has been asked, I have not followed hockey much this year. I didn't see any comments on his twitter as is usually the case when players are traded. Did he comment on his time here via media at all?
he got tons of crap here but also great support by fans. I find it thoughtless after playing in a city for 5 + years to leave no parting words.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No he did not.

People would say well what do you, people crapped on him, and the media ripped on him so why should he. However, there were many fans that did not, and a few members of the media who gave him his due. but the only thing he did was cancel his hockey camp and had one interview with a Pittsburgh reporter.

meh, anyway

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
excuse if this has been asked, I have not followed hockey much this year. I didn't see any comments on his twitter as is usually the case when players are traded. Did he comment on his time here via media at all?
he got tons of crap here but also great support by fans. I find it thoughtless after playing in a city for 5 + years to leave no parting words.

He left this,
Due to the trade, unfortunately Phil will not be in Toronto and the camp has been cancelled. Thank you for your interest and look for an email with refund details soon.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
How long ago was the trade? Probably hasn't even sunk in yet. It's not like he was the most public-savy person anyway. Those looking for a heart-felt goodbye letter should look elsewhere.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
He was treated like trash. He deserved alot better. He was chased out after signing an 8 year deal.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think some people posting here are bitter... He did what most players who were traded do.

When asked about going to Pittsburgh there was an article where he talked about how he was excited and disappointed because he signed an 8 year contract to stay with Toronto and he loved the city... I guess he didnt say goodbye outright, but that seems like a reapectful goodbye to me.

Edit: can't copy the link on my phone, but if you type in kessel to Pittsburgh its the first one on NHL.com, he mentions how he loves Toronto despite everything that's went on. Players don't typically say big goodbyes like Lamorello did for example (that's because he's been there for forever).

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was treated like trash. He deserved alot better. He was chased out after signing an 8 year deal.

You mean, he was made a millionaire several times over, laid a complete egg, said FU to the fans, picked a fight with the media and was subsequently banished from the kingdom?

Phil Kessel is one of the worst characters to have ever been associated with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

His flippant, indifferent attitude and rotten apple personality is very apparent in whom the organization moved at first opportunity and by the repeated mantra by the organization to "bring in good people." Why are those fairly obvious characteristics outlined by people like Babcock and Shanahan unless they felt there was an issue prior?

I hope he gets a warm welcome back from the Leafs by getting knocked on his ass, stripped of the puck and summarily scored upon over and over when the Penguins visit.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You mean, he was made a millionaire several times over, laid a complete egg, said FU to the fans, picked a fight with the media and was subsequently banished from the kingdom?

Phil Kessel is one of the worst characters to have ever been associated with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

His flippant, indifferent attitude and rotten apple personality is very apparent in whom the organization moved at first opportunity and by the repeated mantra by the organization to "bring in good people." Why are those fairly obvious characteristics outlined by people like Babcock and Shanahan unless they felt there was an issue prior?

I hope he gets a warm welcome back from the Leafs by getting knocked on his ass, stripped of the puck and summarily scored upon over and over when the Penguins visit.

:laugh:

When did you become delusional? Because someone finally stood up to the BS from the media and peanut gallery they are a rotten apple? I like the fact he never gave those standard "get the W and play 110%" answers. Kessel kept things real. Phil was a heck of a player and is a great person too. This post is trash. Slander.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Phil got a pretty raw deal in Toronto. And wish him the best with the Pens.

He came exactly as advertised and performed as such. Getting traded is a big deal to some players. I can't blame an introvert like him for not seeking out more public attention.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
:laugh:

When did you become delusional? Because someone finally stood up to the BS from the media and peanut gallery they are a rotten apple? I like the fact he never gave those standard "get the W and play 110%" answers. Kessel kept things real. Phil was a heck of a player and is a great person too. This post is trash. Slander.

Why did they ship this hero to Pittsburgh then? Seems weird when they're looking for good professionals and guys who know how to "make it safe" for their teammates.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Phil got a pretty raw deal in Toronto. And wish him the best with he Pens.

He came exactly as advertised and performed as such. Getting traded is a big deal to some players. I can't blame an introvert like him for not seeking out more public attention.

If making roughly $91 million off of contracts issued by the Toronto Maple Leafs is a "raw deal," I would like to get a "raw deal" too.

Good riddance, and hopefully he comes back to collect his fanboys too.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I would give the fans the middle finger with the way he was treated last season, if I was Phil.

He gave the fans a pretty good middle finger with the "salute gate" he organized.

Then an even bigger one when he quit on his team and the fans in January to punch his ticket out of town.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
He gave the fans a pretty good middle finger with the "salute gate" he organized.

Then an even bigger one when he quit on his team and the fans in January to punch his ticket out of town.

you got a link for that, or is that fans sporting the same crap again (got to blame it on players you don't like).

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
If making roughly $91 million off of contracts issued by the Toronto Maple Leafs is a "raw deal," I would like to get a "raw deal" too.

Good riddance, and hopefully he comes back to collect his fanboys too.

you could say that about every athlete. it IS bs that they make that much but that's not Phil's fault. you just can't hold how much an athlete makes against them. the team pays them to make them money. thats how it works.

What about Alex Rodriguez making 250million+ for a decade in which he spent most of it on PEDs?

What about the fact Goof's like Donald Trump have 10 billion dollars and the 90% of us who are better people have to slave away to pay the bills ?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well said Stephen, nice to see that are still some wise people left here.

if the kessel fan boys are to bluddy stupid to understand what they saw the last 3 years , to blinded to smell the smoke that was wafting out in the last 1.5 and then to top it all off , our new management structure and what they are looking for and their first big move is to get fat fill out of town

and they still want to blame it on media and fans? bahahahaha, morons.:shakehead

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
He in a way did say goodbye right when he snitched us fans and media out. He gave us away when he opened his mouth concerning the whole phaneuf thing. Phaneuf didn't know what was going on until Kessel ratted us out and opened his mouth. Always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends. Especially the fans paying the salary and all kinds of memorabilia etc. We pay the maple leafs too, many other important people pay up too, but we do pay too. Kesssel opened his mouth and I don't think he liked the maple leafs organization that much. He wanted to get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad