OT: Did Nelson ever work / play for Babcock?

OilArt

Apr 18, 2015
help me out here guys, did Todd Nelson ever work or play for Babcock? I though I read that there is some sort of connection between the two but I could be wrong.

Apparently I fail at internet detective,I can't find anything.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope Nelson stays on as coach of the AHL team. He's been doing great work with out prospects. Winning the draft lottery and hiring a new GM just put the nails in the coffin for Nelson coaching the Oilers.

OilerOlli*

I hope Nelson stays on as coach of the AHL team. He's been doing great work with out prospects. Winning the draft lottery and hiring a new GM just put the nails in the coffin for Nelson coaching the Oilers.

No way. We need a quality coach for the AHL.
Nelson has done a weak Job with our prospects.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Nelson was the head coach of the Muskegon Lumberjacks from 2003-2006, which was affiliate to the Grand Rapids Griffins, who are affiliated to the Red Wings. That's the only way the two can be connected within the same time frame within their respective organizations.

So no, no real connection between the two.

OilerOlli*

Yeah. Look how Klefbom and Lander are turning out.

Or is everyone in the AHL supposed to become NHL all stars?

Or what he has done with Pitlick, Hamilton, Moroz, Musil, Marincin...

SchultzSquared*

Daryl Katz is an owner of the Oilers and has no involvement in hockey operation, what is it you think he did for the 2010 Olympics, fund the team?

Uh did you not listen to the presser given when Chia was hired??? Katz did not fund the team no but he let Hockey Canada use his Palm Springs house for "Coaching Workshops"... aka strategy sessions... and Katz was there of course through out the process as a gracious host and met Chia and Babcock and the others in HC management he did not already know from being a gajillionaire

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Daryl Katz is an owner of the Oilers and has no involvement in hockey operation, what is it you think he did for the 2010 Olympics, fund the team?

Sort of... yeah. He helped facilitate management meetings in his home and used his private jet to fly players around and stuff.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/04/24/bingo-balls-falling-into-place-quickly-for-the-edmonton-oilers

Daryl Katz, dating back to the Vancouver Olympics when he helped Team Canada out by using his private plane to fly players from their last game to Vancouver, was involved with Hockey Canada and that came into play.

“This happened really quickly and one of the reasons it happened so quickly is that I’ve known them from before. The group here with Bob Nicholson, Kevin Lowe and Daryl Katz and the relationships there really helped out. It made it very easy to be comfortable with the situation,” said Chiarelli.

“He has great respect for Daryl Katz. Daryl treated our management group really well with our Olympic team. And that helped. He knew the owner,” said Nicholson.

OilerOlli*

Pitlick is a solid 4th line energy guy, but has injury issues (not Nelson's fault), and Marincin, and Musil are both trending just fine

Can't agree with the 3 players.
And also Klefbom has stil la lot to learn. And Lander struggled a lot before becoming kind of solid. Not sure how much Nelson has to do with it. If he was such a great mentor Lander could had learned a lot earlier.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
My bad, I didn't watch the press release when Chia was hired

Bob Stauffer also likes to tell the story on Oilers Now about how Katz bought Team Canada management a private suite in Sochi to use at the arena while all the other country's management had to sit in the stands. Katz had been there financially for Canada for quite a while to afford the luxuries that wouldn't be supported by their own budget.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Can't agree with the 3 players.
And also Klefbom has stil la lot to learn. And Lander struggled a lot before becoming kind of solid. Not sure how much Nelson has to do with it. If he was such a great mentor Lander could had learned a lot earlier.

Lander struggled under Eakins - and did fine under Nelson. By most accounts, Nelson has done a great job - not sure where your opinion is coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad