Did Mike Keenan Destory what Could've been a superteam? Or was the situation doomed no matter what?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Tambellini made that trade. It might have been influenced but Edmonton’s idiot pulled the switch on that. Keenan fully took over shortly after.

Also Gelinas was the only player traded that year who was remotely regrettable.

Keenan took over 19 games into the Canucks 98 season. Still 97
Sanderson was traded to Vancouver in Jan of 98, but for some reason I thought it was not a Keenan move at the time.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
To my recollection Tambellini was really just a placeholder with no real clout (eventually Stephen Bellringer kind of filled the void with no hockey background) – Keenan absolutely was the driving force behind the McLean/Gélinas move. At no point did he formally hold any title other than head coach, although there was a period where the team explicitly acknowledged that, essentially, no one had better authority in terms of personnel moves. But he was pulling those strings more or less from day one. Hell, it was practically his M.O. to immediately isolate fan favorites, and the writing was on the wall for Linden very quickly.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
While this is true, saying Keenan was good for the team because of this would be like saying Benning’s a good GM for acquiring Pettersson/Boeser/Hughes. The move itself is good in isolation, but his tenure was a disaster. Much like Jim, he had scant few good moves to his name, but managed to knock one out of the park - but also like Jim, he mangled a lot of his other decisions that Burke went about setting right as soon as he got here.

Still highly respect Burke and would love to have him back in Vancouver.

Ew, still respect Burke? Just cant do it, despite acknowledging that he's clearly in the top 3 GMs in franchise history. He's just such a blowhard now, and a caricature of himself. No arguing that the best era in franchise history doesn't happen without Burke.

As for Keenan, such a piece of crap. It was a good move trading for Bert obviously, but that doesn't make up for his character flaws. Who was it that, iirc, was told by Keenan he'd be playing one night, so the player had his parents come for the game, only for Keenan to make him a last minute healthy scratch? So glad that era of coaches constantly berating snd trying to mind f×ck players is dead.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
that was not Keenan. Gelinas and Kirk Mclean for Burke, Sanderson and Jamie Huscroft I believe was interm gm Steve Tambelleni.

It was definitely Enrico Ciccone in that trade, not Huscroft. I can remember driving home on a Friday night hearing about the trade.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It was definitely Enrico Ciccone in that trade, not Huscroft. I can remember driving home on a Friday night hearing about the trade.

Weird how that works - I remember I was sitting in my Dad’s car at a Mr. Lube station getting an oil change when they said on CKNW that we had acquired Jesse Belanger and Markus Naslund at the trade deadline.

On Ciccone - we acquired him from Carolina in the McLean/Gelinas trade, and then I believe he was traded for Huscroft a short while later.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Who was it that, iirc, was told by Keenan he'd be playing one night, so the player had his parents come for the game, only for Keenan to make him a last minute healthy scratch? So glad that era of coaches constantly berating snd trying to mind f×ck players is dead.

That was when Keenan was coach/GM of the Blues. The player was Dale Hawerchuk and it was his grandparents, I believe.

Reactions: alternate

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weird how that works - I remember I was sitting in my Dad’s car at a Mr. Lube station getting an oil change when they said on CKNW that we had acquired Jesse Belanger and Markus Naslund at the trade deadline.

On Ciccone - we acquired him from Carolina in the McLean/Gelinas trade, and then I believe he was traded for Huscroft a short while later.

Yeah, there are a few trades I remember hearing on the radio. Then I would sit around all day waiting for Sports Talk to talk about the trade.

Totally different time.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Got a mixed bag with Keenan.

Could call him brutally honest. Looked at at a team, dumped any sentimentality and did what he thought had to be done to win. Sometimes, however, became too callous and showed zero consideration for players. Maybe a little like Jon Taffer on "Bar Rescue". If we've got to break bar stools to get things moving, then so be it.

Team he inherited in Vancouver had to be dynamited and Keenan was well on the way to doing that when he got turfed. Team was going nowhere with the remnants of the heroes of '94 and needed absolutely fundamental changes. Getting rid of Linden, Babych, MacLean, Odjick etc... was necessary but often seemed carried out with needless hostility. Lot of old time Canuck fans couldn't ever forgive him for losing favorite players or treating them like he did.

Still Keenan seemed on his way to structuring a way ahead for the team. He did start to lay the basis for the better future for the team. And you could say, in the end, that most moves were the correct ones.

Has to be remembered that his tenure was a short one and he never had time to really complete any sort of rebuild and fans never got a chance to see if his rebuild would have successful. As it was the team did improve and the players brought in by Keenan were important to that.

Also the whole Keenan episode raises the question as to whether fans just want to feel good about supporting players they like and can relate to or whether they simply see the players as means to winning and are pretty much indifferent to their feelings. Like should the Sedins have been moved years ago when it became obvious that a rebuild was necessary (and trading them could have been of critical importance to any rebuild), or should they have been left to retire as Canucks so we could all feel good about that?

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
A great team Vancouver missed out on is keeping Larionov, still getting Bure and drafting Jagr over Nedved in like 90 or 91 or whatever

Jagr Larionov Bure (greatest euro line ever)
Adams Ronning Linden
Courtnall whoever Sandlak

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A great team Vancouver missed out on is keeping Larionov, still getting Bure and drafting Jagr over Nedved in like 90 or 91 or whatever

Jagr Larionov Bure (greatest euro line ever)
Adams Ronning Linden
Courtnall whoever Sandlak
I *think* the reasons for the Professor not staying in Vancouver wasn’t the fault of management but rather Larionov not wishing the Russian hockey Federation from taking a huge chunk of his salary, so he chose to play overseas.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Keenan didn't destroy anything. The team was doomed no matter what. The team clearly need it some type of rebuild. Quinn ( rip ) drafting was horrible, his strategy bigger the better, drafted so many big players with no skill. Canucks didn't have that many young players. Even with Messier, Bure, Linden and Mogilny this team had many holes. No pp qb, not much toughness ON D, D was slow, Murzyn was always slow but that 1998 season, he was extra slow, McLean wasn't the
same goaltender after all the knee surgery and the Brown thing.

The bad drafting finally caught up, I think if Canucks won the cup in 1994, it might of been a record of having the least drafted players play in the playoffs. I believe only Bure, Linden and Antoski were the only drafted Canuucks that played in the playoffs. Slegr and Plavsic were on the team but never played.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
That Keenan-era team needed a rebuild. That offseason we added the corpse of Mark Messier and all of his toxic ego to a team that missed the playoffs the previous year. For his trades, we certainly remember the Linden deal, but he also aggressively shipped out any semblance of a team for a whole lot of nothing. I suppose he scorched the earth to allow room for the players of a very good farm system to come up, but the actual team building moves that got us to a consistent playoff team were made by Burke.

Also the whole Keenan episode raises the question as to whether fans just want to feel good about supporting players they like and can relate to or whether they simply see the players as means to winning and are pretty much indifferent to their feelings. Like should the Sedins have been moved years ago when it became obvious that a rebuild was necessary (and trading them could have been of critical importance to any rebuild), or should they have been left to retire as Canucks so we could all feel good about that?

The bolded is the key. Moving them for the sake of it isn't the same as getting the pieces that set us up for 2 decades like the Linden deal.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Keenan made Naslund a healthy scratched the first 2 games in 1998 season. He was almost traded but Mogilny got hurt and Naslund got his chance. Canucks got lucky, if No Naslund, no WCE era and the rebuild Would of been over after the lookout when the Sedins finally took their game to another level.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Keenan made Naslund a healthy scratched the first 2 games in 1998 season. He was almost traded but Mogilny got hurt and Naslund got his chance. Canucks got lucky, if No Naslund, no WCE era and the rebuild Would of been over after the lookout when the Sedins finally took their game to another level.

I believe the story on the Naslund deal was that Keenan had a trade worked out to send Naslund to Ottawa for a 4th round pick, but Bertuzzi broke his leg which caused Keenan to back out of it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Keenan lucked into some good deals (well, one big one - the Linden trade) but other than that it was a scorched earth time to be a Canucks fan. Dealt away valuable veterans for lousy returns (Gelinas, for example) and then dealt away those lousy returns for lousier returns. He also came within an injury of dealing away Markus Naslund for a fourth from Ottawa. Burned a lot of goodwill that the team had built up in the province. Between that, Messier’s lacklustre performance on and off the ice and the sagging Canadian economy making the threat of the Canucks relocating seem very real, the Bure saga reaching its apex with him demanding a trade, it was dark times. And Keenan was very much a villain and an ******* through it all.

Did the team need to be rebuilt? Yes. But not by that lunatic. Most of the franchise stabilizing moves occurred when Brian Burke arrived on the scene and cleaned up his mess.

Ehhhh ... I really don't like defending Keenan and it was a terrible, dark period for the franchise but the notion that he traded multiple quality veterans for bad returns is just false. Literally the only guy we moved who we would have wanted back in any way even a year later was Gelinas. And Sean Burke ... but he was acquired by Tambellini/Keenan in the first place. Guys like Babych, Ledyard, McLean, Odjick were basically done and it was a clearing-out of dead wood that needed to happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Without Keenan, Naslund also probably never breaks out the way he did.

It's odd that he gets such a reputation as a veterans coach because there were a few he liked and dragged around with him, because everywhere he went one of the first things he did was put young players on the rise in key positions with massive minutes and saw huge breakouts from them. Scatchard and Ohlund also benefitted hugely when he came in. And Bertuzzi, obviously.

Again, the guy was a despicable person and I don't like defending him, but he was around for so long because there were some things he did very well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's amazing how history repeats itself with the Canucks. Iron Mike Keenan was deemed to be the disciplinarian needed in the late 90's to run this team of random stars and get them on the same page. Obviously didn't take.

Fast forward more than a decade, and the Canucks were in the same place. Sedins in their prime and the guts of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals team and the President's Trophy winners still intact. But they'd gone soft. So the decision was made to hire Torts to crack the whip.

Same kind of coaches but similar results. So I suppose by 2022 when the Canucks are competitive again, they'll go out searching for another drill sergeant to run the bench.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I have a family friend who played for Keenan during his time with the Canucks and he's an even worse human being then the publicized stories would tell you. Just an absolute slimeball. But, yes, he does have the Linden trade that deserves a lot of kudos in hindsight.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ehhhh ... I really don't like defending Keenan and it was a terrible, dark period for the franchise but the notion that he traded multiple quality veterans for bad returns is just false. Literally the only guy we moved who we would have wanted back in any way even a year later was Gelinas. And Sean Burke ... but he was acquired by Tambellini/Keenan in the first place.
It's a footnote when it all comes down to it, but I always liked Geoff Sanderson from his Hartford days and was annoyed when Keenan quickly re-swapped him for toughness in Brad May. The Burke-Snow shuffle was also weird, although Snow carved out a brief, OK career with Vancouver all things considered.

I was also baffled at why they just released Irbe, after he put up a winning record with respectable stats on a really sad-sack team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00