Did Marchand get punched or wrecked clean? (MOD NOTICE post #175)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
You’re acting like Marchand hasn’t been punished (including for the hit you referenced). Of course he has a dirty history, he’s also been punished at length.

The double standard that dirty plays against Marchand are somehow excusable is hilarious.

Marchand had a ton of plays where he should’ve got suspended but didn’t. Once he started getting suspended he lost that benefit. He has a well deserved reputation.

It’s the same with Wilson. The league is going to be stricter with both. It can be frustrating as a fan but both players created this situation for themselves. If you want to be frustrated with anyone direct it at Marchand for being dirty.

To add to this Marchand has also created the environment where fans don’t care if he gets injured. Wilson has to a certain extent as well but atleast he will drop the gloves and answer. Marchand will hide, turtle or if he ever drops the gloves it will be against a non-fighter who he probably jumped instead of squaring up with.

• Haha
Reactions: YukonCornelius

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
The double standard that dirty plays against Marchand are somehow excusable is hilarious.
There is no double standard if the play isn't dirty. Nothing is there, Marchand engaged and got beat... Deal with it. I'd like to add for all the 'dirty plays' that Marchand has been punished there's hundreds (or thousands) that he hasn't been.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Marchand had a ton of plays where he should’ve got suspended but didn’t. Once he started getting suspended he lost that benefit. He has a well deserved reputation.

It’s the same with Wilson. The league is going to be stricter with both. It can be frustrating as a fan but both players created this situation for themselves. If you want to be frustrated with anyone direct it at Marchand for being dirty.

To add to this Marchand has also created the environment where fans don’t care if he gets injured. Wilson has to a certain extent as well but atleast he will drop the gloves and answer. Marchand will hide, turtle or if he ever drops the gloves it will be against a non-fighter who he probably jumped instead of squaring up with.
The point is Bennett has this reputation as well. He has a laundry list of cheap shots. Bunting, Knies, spearing a prone Simek.

By the way Marchand fought Mikkola, that over sized pylon, the last regular season game. 8" in height and probably 40-50 lbs size advantage. So zebras change their stripes(just not NHL Refs).:sarcasm:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So much bullshit in this thread. Of course Bennett punched Marchand and it certainly looks like he got away with it. Good for him.

Marchand is a great player, who certainly can be cheap, and has certainly crossed the line. An ultra competitive agitator that gets under players skin.

The exact same thing can be said for Tkachuk and Bennet. And any Panther fan who disagrees is kidding themselves.

Just own it. It’s ok.

Would I love Bennet and Tkachuk in Boston? Of course. But since they are not, I see their cheap weasel-like play (JUST like Marchand’s) and dislike them intensely.

Just as Panther fans feel (but maybe can’t admit it) about Marchand.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Hard to tell if it connected but it's a weird reaction by Bennett to block an incoming hit with his left shoulder while throwing his right arm out at the same time. I don't think I've seen that before.
Intent to injure? Noticed that Panthers have been using the reverse hit a lot. Tkachuk has done this a few times in the series with high hits with the elbow.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
So much bullshit in this thread. Of course Bennett punched Marchand and it certainly looks like he got away with it. Good for him.

Marchand is a great player, who certainly can be cheap, and has certainly crossed the line. An ultra competitive agitator that gets under players skin.

The exact same thing can be said for Tkachuk and Bennet. And any Panther fan who disagrees is kidding themselves.

Just own it. It’s ok.

Would I love Bennet and Tkachuk in Boston? Of course. But since they are not, I see their cheap weasel-like play (JUST like Marchand’s) and dislike them intensely.

Just as Panther fans feel (but maybe can’t admit it) about Marchand.
The issue is, dumb people can't understand that they're dumb so they'll never admit that they're dumb.

A lot of losers think they're contributing something by being sycophants of their chosen team. If it wasn't terribly sad it'd be hysterically funny.

If one thinks this "play" by Bennett is acceptable, they are not a fan of hockey. You can't be okay with this kind of intentional "play" and say you enjoy the sport. They're contradictory statements.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
That appears to be correct.

Now, take your right hand, hold a stick at the top and throw a punch literally ACROSS your chest and see what power that generates. It was more akin to a football stiff arm than a thrown punch.
Power doesn't really matter when it comes to concussions. You can get one from simply sneezing, without any prior injury.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Neutral fan ... looking at the vid I can't see how Bennett extended his right arm any where near enough to make contact with Marchand's head. He released the puck and immediately braced for a hit incoming from Marchand. Marchand got the worst of it but that's just the unknown outcome of any contact in NHL playoff hockey. He's day to day so it doesn't look like it was too terrible of an injury.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Many statements within thread can be true at same time
  • Takes time, effort, and use of critical thinking to wear other shoes.
  • Reflection without letting emotions/bias skew equation is a problem within sports >>>
  • Bennett is dirty player >>>
  • Marchand is no saint either >>>
  • Not a fan of either player >>>
  • But a dirty play against either one should not be excused >>>
  • Both these players can have wrong done to them, no matter their past >>>
  • If each action isn't treated on an individual bases >>>
  • Situation becomes what came first, the aggressive chicken or the defensive egg?
  • This is one of reason why I don't ragged on players like Kucherov, Crosby, or other stars who defend themselves like they do. Folks come down on players who get chippy (Especially successful star players, amazing how that works out isn't it?).
  • But..... If star players didn't do these things, dirty players like Bennett would eat them alive.
  • Every team/player has to answer fire with fire because this is the environment that's been allowed to exist.
  • Just use right -vs- wrong, and not the..... "Who" >>>
  • Or "Double Standards" bust into room screaming...... "I'M HERE!!!!!"
If humans just used "Right -vs- Wrong" when judging anything, instead of using the..... "Who" or past behaviors. We'd all be better off!!!! If society is going to move forward, society should stop bias, hate, and using past behaviors to make decisions today. No matter, preventing folks from falling into classic tribe-mentality-mindsets would be wise stagey. This thinking includes sport$ world.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Neutral fan ... looking at the vid I can't see how Bennett extended his right arm any where near enough to make contact with Marchand's head. He released the puck and immediately braced for a hit incoming from Marchand. Marchand got the worst of it but that's just the unknown outcome of any contact in NHL playoff hockey. He's day to day so it doesn't look like it was too terrible of an injury.
Yeah, I don't care about either team but I'm just not seeing anything here.

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
Many statements within thread can be true at same time
  • Takes time, effort, and use of critical thinking to wear other shoes.
  • Reflection without letting emotions/bias skew equation is a problem within sports >>>
  • Bennett is dirty player >>>
  • Marchand is no saint either >>>
  • Not a fan of either player >>>
  • But a dirty play against either one should not be excused >>>
  • Both these players can have wrong done to them, no matter their past >>>
  • If each action isn't treated on an individual bases >>>
  • Situation becomes what came first, the aggressive chicken or the defensive egg?
  • This is one of reason why I don't ragged on players like Kucherov, Crosby, or other stars who defend themselves like they do. Folks come down on players who get chippy (Especially successful star players, amazing how that works out isn't it?).
  • But..... If star players didn't do these things, dirty players like Bennett would eat them alive.
  • Every team/player has to answer fire with fire because this is the environment that's been allowed to exist.
  • Just use right -vs- wrong, and not the..... "Who" >>>
  • Or "Double Standards" bust into room screaming...... "I'M HERE!!!!!"
If humans just used "Right -vs- Wrong" when judging anything, instead of using the..... "Who" or past behaviors. We'd all be better off!!!! If society is going to move forward, society should stop bias, hate, and using past behaviors to make decisions today. No matter, preventing folks from falling into classic tribe-mentality-mindsets would be wise stagey. This thinking includes sport$ world.
Easily the most rationale take in this thread.

Reactions: flying squirrel

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Replace Marchand name with McDavid and what happens here? The answer to this question starts one on-the-road to why NHL and other sports/media/players/coaches/refs behave the way they do.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
The point is Bennett has this reputation as well. He has a laundry list of cheap shots. Bunting, Knies, spearing a prone Simek.

By the way Marchand fought Mikkola, that over sized pylon, the last regular season game. 8" in height and probably 40-50 lbs size advantage. So zebras change their stripes(just not NHL Refs).:sarcasm:
You Bruins fans keep putting this out there as an example of Marchand being a tough guy who will fight bigger players unlike (pick your panthers player here). When in truth Marchand dropped his gloves and started throwing while Mikkola was still looking at the ref after they exchanged cross checks. When Mikkola finally got his gloves off he turtled faster than Yertle at a Dr Seuss convention.

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
Yeah, I don't care about either team but I'm just not seeing anything here.
ECA22164-6FA9-4F80-9362-64DC520F3617.gif

I’m not going to try to infer intent, but Bennett’s right hand objectively hits Marchand in the head.

Reactions: Rydan

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The crying about Bennett being a dirty player is hilarious. Guy plays the game hard as hell but it’s mostly leafs fans and irrational Bruin fans in here so it makes sense. I’d love to see the laundry list of dirty plays Sam Bennett has made.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I just don’t know what Bennett is supposed to do there with Marchand skating at him. Bennett doesn’t have much time to react. If Bennett decides to stop on a dime and Marchand skates by him Bruins fans would of laughed at him for avoiding contact.
I said this before, both players were skating to the same area of the ice and there was a collision. Nothing malicious. Just a unfortunate result for Marchand

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
You Bruins fans keep putting this out there as an example of Marchand being a tough guy who will fight bigger players unlike (pick your panthers player here). When in truth Marchand dropped his gloves and started throwing while Mikkola was still looking at the ref after they exchanged cross checks. When Mikkola finally got his gloves off he turtled faster than Yertle at a Dr Seuss convention.

I didn't see it that way, your guy overpowered him as he should. Marchand went after him cause all NHL defensemen crosscheck the crap out of everybody these days. Marchand is no Saint, but Florida is filled with guys that cross the line every shift. That's hockey. It's the extreme stuff, like Marchands Slew Foot's, and Bennet's spearing and slamming guys heads into the ice(Knies), need to go.
The entire point of cleaning up the game the last 10 years , was to increase the TV fanbase. The NHL is the most inconsistent major sport organization with it's message. When your Commissioner won't admit head shot cause concussions.... nuff said.
Funny how less of this stick work went on when the real fighting wasn't purged from the game.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The crying about Bennett being a dirty player is hilarious. Guy plays the game hard as hell but it’s mostly leafs fans and irrational Bruin fans in here so it makes sense. I’d love to see the laundry list of dirty plays Sam Bennett has made.

It's called GOOGLE, it's amazing what you can find, including all the sh*tty things Marchand has done. But as they say, "Ignorance is Bliss"!

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I didn't see it that way, your guy overpowered him as he should. Marchand went after him cause all NHL defensemen crosscheck the crap out of everybody these days. Marchand is no Saint, but Florida is filled with guys that cross the line every shift. That's hockey. It's the extreme stuff, like Marchands Slew Foot's, and Bennet's spearing and slamming guys heads into the ice(Knies), need to go.
The entire point of cleaning up the game the last 10 years , was to increase the TV fanbase. The NHL is the most inconsistent major sport organization with it's message. When your Commissioner won't admit head shot cause concussions.... nuff said.
Funny how less of this stick work went on when the real fighting wasn't purged from the game.
So your saying Marchand didn’t drop his gloves and start throwing before Miklola knew what was going on or he didn’t turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad