Did Marchand get punched or wrecked clean? (MOD NOTICE post #175)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That's true. But it's also possible that teams simply haven't really pushed far enough against Florida. I don't see how Florida benefits from having one of their star players injured and removed from the playoffs.
That's the beauty of it. 16 game race to the finish is about depth and attrition the further it goes as much as about talent

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here's a question that I don't think anyone has stopped hyperventilating long enough to ask,
if they have then I missed it(sry):

Has anyone asked Marchand what he thinks happened?

And no, I don't give a s**t what Montgomery says, he's going to defend his player/team(as he should).

Genuinely, anybody heard anything from him?

Genuinely, what Marchand thinks of the hit... doesn't matter that much.

He's a chippy player who plays on the edge, puts other players into vulnerable positions and has been on the "oopsie daisies" side of the equation enough times. A guy like Marchand would have probably done the same thing to Bennett if he could. It's playoffs, it's attrition hockey.

At the end of the day, there's no real need for Florida fans to plead innocence in this snide way, appeal to the authority of the league and whatever. It's a live by the sword, die by the sword kind of play and everyone knows what it is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's true. But it's also possible that teams simply haven't really pushed far enough against Florida. I don't see how Florida benefits from having one of their star players injured and removed from the playoffs.

Playoff attrition is about putting wear and tear on the opposition to diminish their abilities the deeper you go into a series like a body blow in a boxing match. Sometimes that line gets crossed, sometimes it's fairly obvious that it's done intentionally, and sometimes the injuries are substantial.

Make no mistake though, the intent is always malicious... but the technicality is whether the hit was administered in a clean way within the rules, or not.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Genuinely, what Marchand thinks of the hit... doesn't matter that much.

He's a chippy player who plays on the edge, puts other players into vulnerable positions and has been on the "oopsie daisies" side of the equation enough times. A guy like Marchand would have probably done the same thing to Bennett if he could. It's playoffs, it's attrition hockey.

At the end of the day, there's no real need for Florida fans to plead innocence in this snide way, appeal to the authority of the league and whatever. It's a live by the sword, die by the sword kind of play and everyone knows what it is.
It happened fast and the refs missed it, well disguised play largely shielded from view by the backs of both players. It is what it is and obviously no disciplinary action is coming from the league.

What really gets me though is taking Lauko for G interference yet Ekblad gets off scott free. Wtf was that? Terrible call. I guess we can shove players into goalies now. Bruins might want to take note

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
It happened fast and the refs missed it, well disguised play largely shielded from view by the backs of both players. It is what it is and obviously no disciplinary action is coming from the league.

What really gets me though is taking Lauko for G interference yet Ekblad gets off scott free. Wtf was that? Terrible call. I guess we can shove players into goalies now. Bruins might want to take note
That was a terrible call, agreed

Reactions: BB79

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
No one likes whataboutism and whining about double standards, but if Marchand suckerpunched someone and knocked them out for the series with a concussion, he'd be getting a 7 game suspension.
“No one likes whataboutism”.....proceeds with whataboutism ;)

If there were a clear view of Bennett’s fist making contact with his face then they (possibly) would have taken some supplementary action.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Does it matter who it was that got injured?

The fact still remains it was an extremely dirty play TARGETING THE HEAD

You can’t be more upset about this than the player it happened to - and I guarantee you Marchand is mostly pissed because he didn’t think to do it first.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Jeremy Jacobs, Cam Neely and Don Sweeney need to bring the heat.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
If you can't detect sarcasm you can always get off the internet.
;) That wasn’t far enough over the top to register as sarcasm...

Don’t you know you have to use italics or attach an emoji to indicate sarcasm?
Come on man!

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Lmfao are we serious right now?

Bennett braces for a hit and Marchand gets the worst of it. If it is a “punch” it’s incidental at best.

From a team that has a history of being the “Big Bad Bruins” this is f***ing Charmin-Ultrasoft-soft. Grow a set it’s playoff hockey and sometimes you get bumped the wrong way.

Seriously what a nothing-burger.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Matchand took a run at him, he was just protecting himself....happens all the time....
But think about all the headhits against the bruins like Savard....Too soon?

Sorry but if you live by the sword...Chara says it was a strong hockey play.

Reactions: BLONG7

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

The most toxic series the league has ever seen?

The Flyers won two cups in the 70s because they literally beat the shit out of the entire league.

Montreal once nearly burned itself to the ground because Maurice Richard got suspended.

A random ten minute segment of any playoff series from the 80s contains more suspendable conduct than a month of modern regular season NHL hockey.

Mark Messier tried to kill a Russian player with his elbow in the 1987 Canada Cup final and was IRATE to the point he nearly killed the official as well over the subsequent 2-minute minor.

Then there was that time in 1972 when Canada played the Soviets for the fate of the world.

Nobody reads history anymore, and when they do, they react to it like it’s the news.

As you were.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Savard getting Cooke’d and this play have exactly nothing in common, other than both involving Bruins.
Concussions. But thanks for playing. To be fair the bruins have had a number of bad head hits. The problem is when the fans pretend the bruins did nothing when they injure another player. You might not realize it but your brain does.

I have long argued about ANY hit to the head should be a penalty. Control your stick and elbows. And the league and PA do SFA about it when they ignore this stuff all the time for a number of reasons. See Down Goes Brown flow chart from over a decade ago, or "game management".

We see light hooks and slashes get penalties, but blatant stuff like slew legs, elbows or a submarine is "protecting himself". So you have to decide if you believe this bush league is anything but a clown show when they themselves have shown to not care about injuries depending on who you are . Fox had a two handed head high swing the other night, missed the guy-zero penalty. If he had connected it would have made McSorly look like an angel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad