Did Leafs prefer 1st pick 2nd round vs last pick 1st round?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I had a debate with a buddy. Would you prefer the last pick day one or 1st pick day 2?
Obvious choice is last pick first round.
However first pick day 2 gives the team a chance to regroup and debate over players that maybe they did not think would still be there.
It also allows the team to shop the pick to move down similar to what they did last year if that is of interest.
Also other teams may covet a player that is still on the board and aggressively pursue the Leafs pick.

I think I prefer 1st pick day 2. I wonder if the Leafs did too?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
At the draft table you should be organized enough to be able to take the bpa at 30 OA. Your answer should never change after regrouping and discussing it over night.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Would have been cool to have the first pick and the last of day 1 and the first pick of day two from a viewing audience experience. It was a fun draft but the anticipation of seeing what might drop would make for good suspense.

I'd say your question is a wash given the first pick of day two gives you more trade options.

Hope to see Debrincat or Clauge pick tomorrow morning, Sokolov, Pu, Bitten a bit later in the morning.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Always better to take the higher pick, but we weren't going to take Sam Steel so I can now say that 31 is better. Gives us a chance to evaluate our options - who is our best bet at 31? Or alternatively, should we trade down?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Based on the way the draft went and who the ducks picked at 30... I'd rather pick 31 vs 30.

However, someone like Max Jones almost slipped that low... so if things worked out a little differently, the 30th pick would have been better.

At this point, it doesn't seem like there's a steal of a pick at 31, but there easily could have been.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
In terms of the actual draft, #30. You don't have to worry about the last pick of day #1 taking the player you were interested in.

However, from a contractual standpoint probably #31. Negotiating an Entry-Level Contract may seem simple for the Leafs because they have so much cap space, however I am sure that teams who are against the cap need every possible negotiating piece possible to save money.

Paying a player based on being a "2nd round pick" could save money compared to paying them as a "first round pick" despite the difference being one spot.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Even with a trade in mind I'd rather have 30. I think there's a better chance of the other team making a poor decision if they have to make it on the spot, whereas I trust our group to be more prepared than most.

For keeping the pick, obviously 30 is better. Teams don't change their list in the middle of the draft.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Pick 1 on day 2. Gives you and your camp time to study who is still available from day 1 and make a better, more calculated pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, the extra time to think and strategize couldn't hurt, unless they wanted Sam Steel...

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Always better to take the higher pick, but we weren't going to take Sam Steel so I can now say that 31 is better. Gives us a chance to evaluate our options - who is our best bet at 31? Or alternatively, should we trade down?

I think that we felt our guy most probably a goalie would be there so it trading 30 didnt matter

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
At the draft table you should be organized enough to be able to take the bpa at 30 OA. Your answer should never change after regrouping and discussing it over night.

This exactly. I'd imagine teams have internal BPA lists as well as plans to adjust and draft towards organizational needs if need be. 30th > 31st and there is no question about it. You are really trying to cross your eyes to see things in our favour if you argue otherwise.

If you really think one night of adjustment trumps month after month of prep, you are really underestimating the ability of management and scouts to make a decision.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs have their list, but what happens when a team sees their guy is not taken, they may regroup to put a better package together than to not do it in the heat of Friday night at the end of the night.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Leafs have their list, but what happens when a team sees their guy is not taken, they may regroup to put a better package together than to not do it in the heat of Friday night at the end of the night.

Yep, that's the best point, I think, why 31 is better. Leafs may wake up to a real nice offer or two.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Only reason to take 31 is for the potential trade offers we might receive overnight. There's always a chance another team falls in love and makes an "Ottawa" decision to move up. Looking forward to what transpires on Day 2.....

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
There is an advantage imo. Not so much with player debate but you get another 12 hours or so to decide what potential moves you make with the pick and what scenarios could play out if you do make moves.

Obviously we have our BPA list and we will follow that but I think it goes beyond that. As long as our guy wasn't taken then I don't think it matters.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Whatever Lou did was the correct choice.
Frankly, the leafs were out negotiated on the andersen trade

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Even with a trade in mind I'd rather have 30. I think there's a better chance of the other team making a poor decision if they have to make it on the spot, whereas I trust our group to be more prepared than most.

For keeping the pick, obviously 30 is better. Teams don't change their list in the middle of the draft.

I'd argue you have more time to field offers from 29 other teams for pick 31, and everyone has more time to think about what they want to do.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
I'd argue you have more time to field offers from 29 other teams for pick 31, and everyone has more time to think about what they want to do.

Right away when you think about it I would say 30 over 31, but I agree with you. I think this year forsue I would rather have 31over 30. The reasoning being 29 other teams have a night to think it over and they might be surprised a player who they thought would go later in the first round is now available and might be willing to pay a price and move up.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I had a debate with a buddy. Would you prefer the last pick day one or 1st pick day 2?
Obvious choice is last pick first round.
However first pick day 2 gives the team a chance to regroup and debate over players that maybe they did not think would still be there.
It also allows the team to shop the pick to move down similar to what they did last year if that is of interest.
Also other teams may covet a player that is still on the board and aggressively pursue the Leafs pick.

I think I prefer 1st pick day 2. I wonder if the Leafs did too?

I thought that was a little bit of a crazy question when reading the thread title. Then I read the rationale behind the concept.

Kodos on the very analytical and in-depth thinking. I think you swayed me into thinking the 31st is better than the 30th. Who would've thunk it?

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Teams have a list of BPA. It doesnt change. So the answer is pick 30

Answer is basically this. The only benefit I could possibly see on have the time between the two days is to have further trade discussions.

If somone another team likes is still on the board and they are willing to pay, you have time to negotiate that deal a bit further.

In terms of picking, I am sure the leafs left day 1 knowing who they'll pick this morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad