Did i make a mistake?

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
This may get long winded but hear me out if you will:

Not sure if many on this board know but i'm from England and I started watching hockey about 7/8 years ago when a Canadian friend of mine i knew in school introduced me to it. His ex pat dad was a huge Habs fan and i remember one day going round their house and instead of doing the normal s**t you do with your school buddies i sat on his sofa just watching a hockey game and being mesmerised.

There was this little period after that where all i was doing was abandoning my true sport which was and still is football (soccer to you) and just watching what i could of hockey. I didn't have a team so i had to naturally get one and that's when i came across Alex Ovechkin, i'd never seen anything like it and seeing as i naturally gravitate to true skill players in any sport i said to myself 'I don't care who he plays for i'm supporting that team as of now'.

Now obviously being a noob to hockey and the NHL i had no idea his team was the Washington Capitals. So as i progressed from being a rookie fan to actually caring who his team mates were i started to really like guys like Semin and Backstrom and my investment in them started to grow.

My support for the caps is big time LOYAL. Honestly i'm telling the truth when i say that i lose interest in watching hockey when they don't play. Every year they get knocked out of the cup i just stop watching until the stanley finals where i convince myself to watch. That's how much i care about this team.

I'm now at a point where i literally know most of the little intricacies and nuances of the sport, i could probably lecture that Canadian dudes dad on fore and back checking and teach him a thing or two.

Anyway here's where my question comes into play, have i invested too much into an organisation that looks like it clearly DOESN'T care. Year after year i keep getting my hopes up only to be shot down by an idiot owner and GM who doesn't invest properly the way the great teams in the NHL do to get a cup. I keep telling myself like i did when i was younger 'as long as we have Ovechkin we have a chance' but it looks increasingly year on year that no matter how great he is, he needs help but this owner and more importantly GM won't do anything about it.

This article has basically culminated from me sitting and watching free agent day as the names roll off the screen going to other teams while GM just sits there, let's Ribeiro walk and not do anything to replace him.

I will always support the Caps as long as i'm a hockey fan but i'm just sick of investing so much and getting let down every year when it counts when things can be done to get this team over the hump.

So I ask, did i make a mistake 7 years ago trusting Ted and George?

Last edited:

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
You could do a lot worse than the Caps.

Oh i know, i ended up picking a decent team all those years back (even though they were pretty bad back then) but it just baffles me that a team with such a GREAT talent can fail so much when he's putting up MVP numbers.

That's down to the GM i'm afraid.

Bethesda

Feb 1, 2013
I'm not sure what "a lot worse" is.

You know what is awesome? Being a Wizards fan. They ALWAYS suck and you never get your heart broken. Is that worse? I would say no.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's especially frustrating that GMGM failed to make those 1/2 quality additions few years ago when Caps were rolling. Adding top D and 2C would have got us very close to the cup and he chose to keep drafting and here we are now. Nowhere near cup and lots of more holes to fill than few years back.

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008
It's especially frustrating that GMGM failed to make those 1/2 quality additions few years ago when Caps were rolling. Adding top D and 2C would have got us very close to the cup and he chose to keep drafting and here we are now. Nowhere near cup and lots of more holes to fill than few years back.

Exactly, apparently he thought tyler sloan, schultz, and erskine belong in the top 6 of a championship team......I'm ok with erskine on the bottom pair but having all of them in the line up was nuts.

Halpysback*

Exactly. At the end of day, when our 2C is Mathieu Perreault and our 2LD is John Erskine, we can relax and say to ourselves, "At least we aren't Calgary."

Until you realize their 2LD is Brodie and their 2C is Monahan

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Deciding to follow any DC team is a mistake. Meltdowns on the big stage all day every day.

I've been told it's similar to Arsenal, who always does well in the "regular season", but melts down in the Champions League. I'm trying to pick an EPL team and thinking about picking them because I'm a masochist (and I see similarities to them and the Caps).

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Deciding to follow any DC team is a mistake. Meltdowns on the big stage all day every day.

I've been told it's similar to Arsenal, who always does well in the "regular season", but melts down in the Champions League. I'm trying to pick an EPL team and thinking about picking them because I'm a masochist (and I see similarities to them and the Caps).

LOL.

I literally just picked my BPL team like a few months ago and it is Arsenal (they have a lot of black guys and they have a cool ass name lol).

I've been reading up and apparently, they are spitting image of the pre-2004 Boston Red Sox.

God i hate sports lol

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
You have to ask yourself two questions. Did watching the Capitals compromise your GCSE's/A-Levels by staying up till stupid o'clock to watch the Caps. Secondly, do you still want to watch? May I ask who you support for football as if its a team like Arsenal, then its really comparable, Kroenke is exactly like Ted.

Vabeachblue

Dec 5, 2010
Va
I just picked an EPL team, my buddy is a flyers fan and hates liverpool so I have started following liverpool.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This may get long winded but hear me out if you will:

Not sure if many on this board know but i'm from England and I started watching hockey about 7/8 years ago when a Canadian friend of mine i knew in school introduced me to it. His ex pat dad was a huge Habs fan and i remember one day going round their house and instead of doing the normal s**t you do with your school buddies i sat on his sofa just watching a hockey game and being mesmerised.

There was this little period after that where all i was doing was abandoning my true sport which was and still is football (soccer to you) and just watching what i could of hockey. I didn't have a team so i had to naturally get one and that's when i came across Alex Ovechkin, i'd never seen anything like it and seeing as i naturally gravitate to true skill players in any sport i said to myself 'I don't care who he plays for i'm supporting that team as of now'.

Now obviously being a noob to hockey and the NHL i had no idea his team was the Washington Capitals. So as i progressed from being a rookie fan to actually caring who his team mates were i started to really like guys like Semin and Backstrom and my investment in them started to grow.

My support for the caps is big time LOYAL. Honestly i'm telling the truth when i say that i lose interest in watching hockey when they don't play. Every year they get knocked out of the cup i just stop watching until the stanley finals where i convince myself to watch. That's how much i care about this team.

I'm now at a point where i literally know most of the little intricacies and nuances of the sport, i could probably lecture that Canadian dudes dad on fore and back checking and teach him a thing or two.

Anyway here's where my question comes into play, have i invested too much into an organisation that looks like it clearly DOESN'T care. Year after year i keep getting my hopes up only to be shot down by an idiot owner and GM who doesn't invest properly the way the great teams in the NHL do to get a cup. I keep telling myself like i did when i was younger 'as long as we have Ovechkin we have a chance' but it looks increasingly year on year that no matter how great he is, he needs help but this owner and more importantly GM won't do anything about it.

This article has basically culminated from me sitting and watching free agent day as the names roll off the screen going to other teams while GM just sits there, let's Ribeiro walk and not do anything to replace him.

I will always support the Caps as long as i'm a hockey fan but i'm just sick of investing so much and getting let down every year when it counts when things can be done to get this team over the hump.

So I ask, did i make a mistake 7 years ago trusting Ted and George?

oh, and to answer your question?

Ask Ted. He thinks of himself as a man of the people, and a "fan". I'm sure he will give you an honest answer:sarcasm:

my advice? run for the hills, away from this team. While you still can. Some of us can't, we are too far in.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I've been reading up and apparently, they are spitting image of the pre-2004 Boston Red Sox.

Bite your friggin' tongue.

Go read Fever Pitch, wipe any memory of that Red Sucks based movie bastardization of Hornby's classic from your memory, and then come back and try again.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Bite your friggin' tongue.

Go read Fever Pitch, wipe any memory of that Red Sucks based movie bastardization of Hornby's classic from your memory, and then come back and try again.

I'm pretty sure not everyone knows who Arsenal is so what's wrong with comparing them to a team that Americans know?

I wasn't talking about the movie

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Caps are in an exceptionally bad place right now and until Ted moves along. The Caps from 1982-1990 ish were great teams. Our goalies were never good enough and our centers were never as good as the other team's centers. But those teams competed. They hit, fought, scratched and clawed. Those were good teams on the rise. Scott Stevens, Langway, Bengt, Gartner, Hunter from 1987 on. Dino! I have no problem with those teams.

And then they let Stevens go, didn't trade for Selanne when they had a deal made, drafted horribly...and then we soon get to Ted n' George. We had a chance from 2008-2011 but we weren't bold and protected our nuts and signed marginal players. It'll take a genius to turn this around. And no genius will look at Ted and say, "This is a man I can work with!"

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The OP and I have very similar back stories when it comes to how we came to be Cap fans. The only difference is I have always loved hockey.

I was looking for a team to root for after having been out of the country for several years. Coming out of the lockout it was between these two young phenoms named Ovechkin or Crosby. Crosby looked like a tool and I have always disliked Mario 'the whiner' Lemeiux.

Falling in love with Ovechkin thru highlights and the 2004 draft was the biggest mistake of my sports fan life. His prime years will be wasted and if he is to win a Cup it will be ala Ray Bourque, so he will get very little, if any, credit unless he is exceptional during the run.

The only thing that keeps my sanity is that I also love watching Patrick Kane and have followed him since London. Ovie however will always have a special place in my heart, as he gave me hope as a fan after the crap lockout of '04.

Last edited:

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
If you base your choice on great and exciting regular seasons you have chosen well. If you expect post season success you chose......poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad