Did Bennett fail pathetically on Crosby's wing this year?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why don't you let off some steam...
tumblr_n6pcx9pWyE1snghrzo1_500.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
At one point, Bennett+Crosby+anything was getting outscored 6 to 1 this year (and have not directly connected on a scoring play in 100 something minutes...that "3 games" thing is not correct). That changed slightly when Sheary and Crosby started connecting on a couple plays, but the combination's still terrible and always was.

Since 2013

Adams+Crosby
5 goals for, 4 against, 3.76 goals for/60, 55% GF%, 79 minutes

Bennett+Crosby
7 goals for, 11 against, 2.08 goals for/60, 38% GF%, 200 minutes

There's a right answer here, and it's not "no."

I don't know if people like this guy for his hair or if they're stubbornly clinging to one particular Ales Hemsky fan's assessment that Bennett would be "just like Hossa" or what, but with any other player, pointing this out would be completely uncontroversial. Hornqvist, for example, has been miles better with Malkin than Bennett has been with 87, but nobody really disputes that 72 is poor to awful with Geno.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He hasn't done anything, even when healthy, to show that he can be an impact player in the league.

Vehemently disagree. We just don't see it often because he's always injured, or coming back from injury. /shrug

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
At one point, Bennett+Crosby+anything was getting outscored 6 to 1 this year (and have not directly connected on a scoring play in 100 something minutes...that "3 games" thing is not correct). That changed slightly when Sheary and Crosby started connecting on a couple plays, but the combination's still terrible and always was.

Since 2013

Adams+Crosby

Bennett+Crosby

I don't know if people like this guy for his hair or if they're stubbornly clinging to one particular Ales Hemsky fan's assessment that Bennett would be "just like Hossa" or what, but with any other player, pointing this out would be completely uncontroversial. Hornqvist, for example, has been miles better with Malkin than Bennett has been with 87, but nobody really disputes that 72 is poor to awful with Geno.

That wasn't the question though.

Looking at the responses here, and the post games/GDTs at the time, the sentiment is the same: it was a small sample size, but Bennett was anything but a pathetic failure on Crosby's line this year. That's an overwhelmingly minority opinion.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
bennett is the best player on this team and i don't know how you can dispute that. obviously you haven't seen that toothy grin, who could argue with that!

mgd525

May 18, 2007
He was hurt pretty much the whole season like most years. What a dumb question.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
well the question is about the part where he wasn't hurt

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I love how getting a handful of shifts with Sid per game somehow gets translated into Beau getting Kunitz minutes and failing.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I understand that but you can't base failing miserably off 2 games with him, that's why its insane.

well i'm assuming the only reason this is being asked is because some people are forgetting that everyone thought crosby and bennett were doing very well in the short time they had, nothing more nothing less

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I understand that but you can't base failing miserably off 2 games with him, that's why its insane.

According to the stats I posted, they've played over 100min together this year at 5v5. I have no way to verify that data, but I trust way more than any of your "opinions" of half drunk game watching.

I know, I know. No one here would just be "half" drunk. BB really hasn't looked great with anyone. Sheary showed me more last night than BB has his entire career.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
According to the stats I posted, they've played over 100min together this year at 5v5. I have no way to verify that data, but I trust way more than any of your "opinions" of half drunk game watching.

I know, I know. No one here would just be "half" drunk. BB really hasn't looked great with anyone. Sheary showed me more last night than BB has his entire career.

How much of that time was Bennett healthy ?
How much was under MJ where Crosby averaged half a point a game ?

The entire team was trash then he got hurt again. He hasn't been healthy 90% of the season if he was in the line up or not. Bennett is a better hockey player when healthy than Sheary. Bennett is either going to get past this and be healthy or he's going to end up in a wheel chair trying.

On a side note just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are drunk. We all have opinions, some are right and well informed...other's not so much. Looking at the poll might give some indication.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

Since 2013

Adams+Crosby

Bennett+Crosby

The king of small sample sizes strikes again. Bow down before his misleading might!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Bennett has failed at NHL hockey period IMHO.

That's a weird opinion. He has failed at staying healthy, but he's a pretty good player when he does play.

He was very, very good in his brief time with Sid this year. When Bennett was put on Sid's wing it was the first time that Sid started looking like himself. I'm not sure why people are forgetting that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How can you fail when you are never on the ice long enough to judge?

Bennett always passed the eye test. The talent is evident, which is why so many are excited by the idea of him. But he is made of glass. If he could stay on the ice year in and year out no doubt he would become what we hope. But at this point does anyone think that will ever happen?

So I think that the question is not the right question. He did not fail. He barely even participated.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I have a feeling Bennet's not going to be playing pro hockey too much longer. At some point you have to realize he just doesn't have the body for it.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Saw him live in Colorado on Crosby's wing in the first game after Dupes walked away. He looked great and having a Denver Pio score two goals in the third period made my might (I had quite a few at that game and was being heckled by a ton of fans; getting the W was worth it).

FYI - people did salute Dupes pretty well that night. Quality Colorado fans overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad