Did Bennett fail pathetically on Crosby's wing this year?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He didn't really play much on the top lines and when he did he got hurt not long after.

I have a funny feeling that how this year ended up turning out with all the young players coming and playing great BB will be used in possibly a trade this off season.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
The title says pathetically, but the poll says miserably. Not sure which to choose. . .

Not sure 3 games is enough to judge, either way.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Bennett was on Crosby's wing right as he started to turn it around, and as such I thought he looked great there.

I also thought Bennett was our best winger and our second best forward overall before he went down, though. He was very good when everyone else but Geno sucked.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Of course he didn't. That doesn't mean he should be there right now though (at least not on the RW). Is Bennett playing LW right now? I haven't really been paying attention but he seems to be on the left side off the rush it my memory is correct.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
any guy that has the guts to go through what he has, and keep going......can never fail!
Bennett's my horse, even if he never wins another race.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nah, Bennett was very good earlier in the year. Was legitimately the best forward on this team for a stretch.

His issues lie purely in the fact that he's incapable of playing the majority (let alone a full) season, and he's a RW.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bennett played like 3 games with Crosby, and he definitely didn't "fail pathetically". However, that doesn't mean he did particularly well (I don't remember how he did) and he shouldn't be there now.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Nah, Bennett was very good earlier in the year. Was legitimately the best forward on this team for a stretch.

His issues lie purely in the fact that he's incapable of playing the majority (let alone a full) season, and he's a RW.
I just realized if you ~reversed~ BB in a mirror universe way you'd get the perfect fit for our present needs. BB = stick figure RW, mirror version = unbreakable LW.

Trade him, might do him some good.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bennett's a sure-fire impact player in this league if he can ever get healthy. I don't believe he ever will stay healthy, but he's not valuable enough to trade and he's not expensive enough to let walk as opposed to keeping him around as a wildcard type of player.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
BB is just not that good. 3rd line player and a terrible draft pick considering Kuznetzov was still on the board. He has flashes of skill time to time, but struggles to consistently stand out.

Slotting him in on the 1st line with his injury concerns and above skill issues is not necessarily a smart move. It is really exposing him to further injury getting 1st line minutes.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayerwowycharts.php?pid=1720&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

WOWY (WithOut you, With you) shows Crosby getting 61% GF without BB on his line and only 46%GF with BB on his line at even strength. That may be highlighting the difference between MS team and MJ team though. It is tough to separate those things out. It doesn't look good for the BB 1st line experiment though. BB has played over 100 minutes with Crosby this year at 5v5.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Crosby failed as Bennett's center.

VTjF1j7.png

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, at least the poll results are accurate.

Bennett barely played there...the only thing he's failed at this year has been staying healthy. He had at least one really good game playing with Sid...and past that I don't even remember him playing with Sid.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
He hardly played next to Sid, and even when he did, it was under Johnston. Can't judge any player off of the start of the season.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No. He looked really good there and Crosby was looking better playing with skill, and then ****ing Oshie happened. Bennett's injuries are depressing at this point. He was their best winger at the time. **** Oshie.

The best was the interview where he said they were too cautious with rehabbing his shoulder, that was fan****ingtastic. They had him resting more than building strength there to prevent another injury. Don't worry, they were more aggressive the second time.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Bennett's a sure-fire impact player in this league if he can ever get healthy. I don't believe he ever will stay healthy, but he's not valuable enough to trade and he's not expensive enough to let walk as opposed to keeping him around as a wildcard type of player.

He hasn't done anything, even when healthy, to show that he can be an impact player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad